The Student Room Group

Traditional vs. Modern Architecture

Poll

Which type of architecture do you prefer, and believe there should be more of?

What's your favourite, and which one do you think we should see more of?

Also, feel free to post an example of your favourite piece of architecture, reflecting your choice, or a picture of why you have not chosen either modern or traditional architecture.

Images in spoilers.

Traditional
Edwardian, Neoclassical, Baroque, Victorian, etc.

Spoiler

Modern
Blobitecture, Deconstructivism, etc.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are some really nice examples of both (but your modern ones seem really tacky :p:)... I can't really make my mind up. I'd probably say traditional, though.
Reply 2
For me modern, I want my house/flat to be very modern.
Reply 3
Astral16
For me modern, I want my house/flat to be very modern.

Any particular reason?
I really, really hate modern architecture. For me, traditional architecture is so much more interesting, and I like all the intricate details. Obviously you get details in modern buildings and structures, but they're nowhere near as pretty.
I like both to be honest.
Some modern stuff is foul though, but then im sure there are some foul traditional buildings lurking somewhere aswell.

Im more stunned and intrigued by traditional architecture as more often then not it (in my opinion) shows a greater degree of craftsmanship than some of the modern stuff around.

In terms of interior home wise I much prefer a modern look however.
Reply 6
modern all the way, alot more interesting shapes and colours.
not just a grey box building
Tbh, good old caves are the best :yep:

Reply 8
I love both but in different ways
Reply 9
Modern for me, there is something I like about Glass and Metal :biggrin: It is one of those combinations that just works. Also modern buildings with unique character are always good :biggrin: These are some of my favourites:

I prefer traditional.
Reply 11
Regina George
Any particular reason?

It refreshes me. For example, the flats in 'The Apprentice' are my dream flats. I love styles like:

And inside my flat/house I would love:

traditional! every every time
i did a project for art on architectural features and loved it, then i worked sorting through the plans of old houses and i really, really fell in love. i love all the victorians' revivals, and the palladian imitations where you feel someone was ever so slightly insecure to really throw themselves into it.

i hate new buildings, often so ugly, where's the nature? who gives a hoot about nightscape trashing lights and functionality when you could have so so much beauty instead?
Reply 13
Astral16
It refreshes me. For example, the flats in 'The Apprentice' are my dream flats. I love styles like:

hand me a cigarette i just came
Astral16

Like this :smile:

On the other hand I like alot of traditional buildings and structures too; it really depends what it is. :p:
I like some Traditional styles, but mostly I just love brutalist stuff.

Goldfinger...he's the man...:
Reply 16
How about we go for a happy medium:

Spoiler

Glasgow School of Art, Charles Rennie Macintosh, 1899. I'm a recent convert.
Crosseyed And Painless
I like some Traditional styles, but mostly I just love brutalist stuff.

Errr isn't that the lawns halls of residence at Hull uni?

(just wondering)
Reply 18
fire2burn
Errr isn't that the lawns halls of residence at Hull uni?

(just wondering)

Either that or a Siberian gulag.
Reply 19
I think it would be great to see more of a combination between both. Most modern architecture is inspired by something that happened in the past.

It also depends completley on what you call 'modern'.

Would you consider this modern?

Latest