The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

I'm a relative newbie here but I've wanted to be a vet since forever and seeing the same sort of thread for the 2011 entry, i thought we should break into it earlier than they did (september09), just because :smile:

This thread is extra especially for those who will be applying for Vet Med 2012 or 2013 if deffering :smile:

This will also save the Vet-Sci forum becoming all clogged up with posts from us lot over the next two years. So don't be shy, introduce yourself! You never know, we might be seeing one another at an open day next year, so with that in mind, say hello and i'll see you soon :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
JLW
OP
And I'll start :smile:

I'm Jess and i live in the countryside near york, hills and horses galoree :smile:
Reply 2
looooooooool
Reply 3
Clara Higgins
Hey
I was unsucessful for 2010 entry but am hoping to improve my grades in Jan 2011 and reapply for a place in for 2012. Really don't know if this will work yet so if anyone knows whether unis accept it would be a help. But yeah am planning an amazing gap year and hopefully it will all work out!!!!!!

Why don't you reapply next year? Or do you definitely want a gap year?

Are you lot doing your GCSEs at the moment, if so good luck! And this long summer is a godsend for work experience, use it wisely :p:

Sorry, I am going to lurk/post in this thread :o:
Reply 4
JLW
OP
schizopear
huzzah! this is the first applicant thread that i'm *officially* allowed to post in!

Hello schizopear and your real name is?? :smile: I'm glad i'm not the only one on TSR that will be applying in 2012!
Reply 5
Wow this is early :p:
Reply 6
Clara Higgins
No I'm doing A levels but i applyed to get a place 2010 and was rejected but want to try again. Was wondering that if I missed the three A's by a few UMS this time (i.w getting my grades in August) and wanted to resit them in Jan 2011 would unis still consider my application for a place in September 2012. Becuase i only want to approch the unis with my grades all offical and no pendings if that makes sense. Just wondered what maybe you thought???

I don't think you have anything to lose by applying next year as well. RVC accept resitters, as long as you get BBC first time around. Liverpool are fine with it but you have to AAA, Bristol are fine with it too I think. You'll have to ask the other universities. Beth on here was resitting in her gap year and got interviews at Liverpool and Bristol. Someone called Eleanor on here also resat and she got an offer from Bristol.

Did I see somewhere that you didn't get any interviews? If anything, that makes it easier to improve. I assume your work experience was a bit lacking? If you get as much work experience as possible this summer, you'll have a good chance.
I want to lurk in here too. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Clara Higgins
Its strange but I know it was just my grades. I have had quite a lot of work expereince. But i knew my grades just were not high enough with BBC and hoping to do resits. I just appyed for the experience but armed with my grades and doing even more work experience I hope i'll be ok!!!!
What work experience did you get???

My grades weren't very good. AABC at AS (with the C in chemistry), so ABC in the subjects I was carrying on, and I still got 3 interviews. Did your teachers predict you AAA at A Level? Also, where did you apply? Sorry for the millions of questions!

My work experience was really the main thing I had going for me, at the time of applying, I had:
- 1 year one day a week SA practice (it was ongoing)
- 18 months kennels (job)
- 2 years stables (weekends and holidays)
- 1 week different SA vets
- 1 week equine hospital
- 2 weeks lambing
- 1 week dairy
- 1 week pig farm
- 1 week exotic animal unit at an agricultural college
- 1 week wildlife hospital
I think that's it. I couldn't get any LA vets, abattoir or vet lab.
Reply 9
Clara Higgins
Its no problem thanks for being interested.
Nope. I really think that was my problem. I joined my school just for sixth form and i suppose I need't to have done really well in June AS for them to predict me high. They're always really strict like that apparently. According to head of sixth form i had a good personal statment but it was really my grades.
I applied to nottingham, bristol, liverpool and RVC. But didn't get called for interview by any of them :frown:

Wow thats an impressive list. The exotic animal unit sounds good. I managed to get 2 days at an abbotoir but it tooking a lot of persuading and searching!!! What were your grades in??
So you've got a place now i take it?

I applied to those places as well :smile: My grades were AABC in Biology, English Lit, Maths and Chemistry and I dropped English Lit. I had to really convince my Chemistry teacher to predict me an A, the others were fine with it. I was interviewed at Bristol, RVC and Liverpool and I got offers from the latter two :smile: Bristol was kind of my practice interview :p:
Reply 10
HI. I'm Beccy :smile:

I'm going to apply next year! Extremely excited :biggrin:
Reply 11
Clara Higgins
Hey
I was unsucessful for 2010 entry but am hoping to improve my grades in Jan 2011 and reapply for a place in for 2012. Really don't know if this will work yet so if anyone knows whether unis accept it would be a help. But yeah am planning an amazing gap year and hopefully it will all work out!!!!!!

i didnt get in this year so am in the same position as you. im reapplying for next year and resitting in jan 10,,,ive emailed rvc bristol and liv and theyd accept another application from me if i were resitting in a gap year. the rvc prospectus says they need B in bio at first sit and C in chem tho if youre resitting...so it might be worth applying for 2011 entry, especially if you only miss the grades by a bit,,,or dont miss them at all!! ++ spend this summer improving your app.,,,work experience...ps,,,all that jazz.

this has probably already been said xxx
Reply 12
schizopear
huzzah! this is the first applicant thread that i'm *officially* allowed to post in!

Ditto that! I've been stalking the 2011 thread for several months... Anyway, I'm Sarah & I live on a farm in rural Wales. And obviously hoping to apply for Vet Med next October.

Clara - I'm really not sure, so I won't even try & answer your question, or it might confuse you even more!
Reply 13
Good for you guys starting your thread early! You will all pick up so much useful stuff from here, I had already applied by the time I rediscovered TSR, but make as much use of this and everyone on here as you can!

Good luck :smile:
Clara Higgins
Hi
Sorry am getting so many mixed messages about this from school and everyone. So I can resit my exams in Jan 2011 and if I get AAB or wahtever i can apply in October 2011 for a place in Sepetember 2012. Sorry if it seems i'm being a bit dumb here just havn't seemed to have got a really clear answer!!! x

you can apply this october for 2011 entry
Reply 15
JLW
OP
Jsrbrunty
Ditto that! I've been stalking the 2011 thread for several months... Anyway, I'm Sarah & I live on a farm in rural Wales. And obviously hoping to apply for Vet Med next October.

Which part of Wales Sarah? What are you thinking of taking next year and what work exp. have you done so far??

Might as well get to know people a bit, right?? :smile:
Reply 16
Right, JLW! Might see you at an open day, one day so might as well know who you are :P

Well it's west Wales, in the middle of nowhere basically. Next year, thinking of taking Biol & Chem and then probably English & Maths. Unfortunately those last two are in the same option block at school so it might not be possible to do both. If I can't, I'm not sure what I'll do. Might be a hard choice. Work experience-wise, done a coupla weeks lambing & got a couple more weeks booked for a kennel & a week at a mixed practice.

How about you? GCSEs going ok? Not many left now :yep:
Reply 17
Jsrbrunty
Right, JLW! Might see you at an open day, one day so might as well know who you are :P

Well it's west Wales, in the middle of nowhere basically. Next year, thinking of taking Biol & Chem and then probably English & Maths. Unfortunately those last two are in the same option block at school so it might not be possible to do both. If I can't, I'm not sure what I'll do. Might be a hard choice. Work experience-wise, done a coupla weeks lambing & got a couple more weeks booked for a kennel & a week at a mixed practice.

Yaaaaaaaay a fellow welshie :p: Not many around here!
Reply 18
JLW
OP
Jsrbrunty

GCSE's are dragging along... just have a chemistry re-sit left because it used to be my weakest science so I got lower marks than my average. Biol, Chem, Psychology and something else but i cant decide what! As work exp, i've spent all this week sorting placements and by easter next year i'll have everything needed..Finally! I can't wait for summer!
Reply 19
Damn, you sound way too organised to be healthy. By Easter next year? By the end of the summer, I should have half of what I need, if all goes to plan. I'm getting worried already & I've got a year until even applying! :-P Got any interesting work experience?

Quick Reply

Latest