ive got a feeling that a lot of health and disease will come up!!! :s-smilie:
Original post by slacker07906
ive got a feeling that a lot of health and disease will come up!!! :s-smilie:

I hope it's mainly biological molecules :s-smilie:

Are you sitting both f211 and f212?
Original post by bulletproof_love
I hope it's mainly biological molecules :s-smilie:

Are you sitting both f211 and f212?

Nope, F212 and F215 for me :frown: u? Its way too much! And biological molecules? Are you joking me :s-smilie: I would die!
Nope, F212 and F215 for me :frown: u? Its way too much! And biological molecules? Are you joking me :s-smilie: I would die!

Oh, you're doing a levels? I'm doing both f211 and f212 :/ Nope I'm not joking lol it's the only module of f212 I know sorta well :smile:
Original post by bulletproof_love
Oh, you're doing a levels? I'm doing both f211 and f212 :/ Nope I'm not joking lol it's the only module of f212 I know sorta well :smile:

Well I wish I could be as confident as you in such a testing module :frown: I hate all the topics if im being honest with you! :colondollar:

Good luck man... f212 is a beast for someone sitting it for the first time as for f215,no words can describe it.I have no idea how I settled for an A on it ....
the thing with f212 is knowing more than what the book has to say. So I shall go through each and every single past paper+ dry stuff on biodiversity <! hate it.

Good luck! I will start posting on here very soon btw. can anyone tell me what has/has not showed up in the jan 2011 f212 exams and june 2010 ?

Thanks
Reply 46
Original post by ibysaiyan
Good luck man... f212 is a beast for someone sitting it for the first time as for f215,no words can describe it.I have no idea how I settled for an A on it ....
the thing with f212 is knowing more than what the book has to say. So I shall go through each and every single past paper+ dry stuff on biodiversity <! hate it.

Good luck! I will start posting on here very soon btw. can anyone tell me what has/has not showed up in the jan 2011 f212 exams and june 2010 ?

Thanks

how hard is f215?
is it impossible, i need an a in to too.
Original post by Deyn_08
how hard is f215?
is it impossible, i need an a in to too.

Nothing is impossible,the only thing brining in the limitation into the equation is us.

As far as the content needed to be memorized rating goes: I give it a 10/10

Anything can show up from anywhere based on any theme.

They might totally exclude one topic/module to another (just as they did with genetics in jan.)

Do past papers as much as you can.. re-read again and again...
Past papers is the key,often they bring back old questions.

I initially found genetics to be hard only because I didn't do any past papers... rest of the module is ok if you have found biodiversity stuff easy on f212.
Does anyone have any biodiversity notes / good websites?
struggling with this part of the syllabus especially, i am glad it's not just me!

topics that came up in jan 2011 so probably won't come up so much in ours:

edit: Sorry guys, this was stuff from june 2010 not Jan '11 ... i'll put the topics that came up on jan 2011 in another post

- tests for molecules (benedicts for reducing sugar etc)
- triglyceride structure, role of lipids
- DNA / RNA differences in structure
- non-competitive inhibition (enzymes)
- effect of temperature on proteins
- food spoilage by bacteria etc and methods of preserving food
- phagocytosis sequence
- antibodies: structure related to function
- dichotomous key

This Jan 2011 f212 paper was our mock and looking back at it it wasn't too bad a paper topic-wise (except I wasn't that well prepared for it) ... hope this isnt a bad sign for us :-(
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by taunt
WHAT:eek:

what structure???? I didnt know you had to know their structures:eek:

don't worry it just says that but it wants to know with the actions of citokines and memory cells
just learn that they have receptors and whatever else you can find out
Reply 50
hi

as part of biodiversity revision , can anyone can explain to me the pros and cons of conservation in situ and ex situ
Reply 51
Original post by giraffegiraffe
Does anyone have any biodiversity notes / good websites?
struggling with this part of the syllabus especially, i am glad it's not just me!

topics that came up in jan 2011 so probably won't come up so much in ours:

- tests for molecules (benedicts for reducing sugar etc)
- triglyceride structure, role of lipids
- DNA / RNA differences in structure
- non-competitive inhibition (enzymes)
- effect of temperature on proteins
- food spoilage by bacteria etc and methods of preserving food
- phagocytosis sequence
- antibodies: structure related to function
- dichotomous key

This Jan 2011 f212 paper was our mock and looking back at it it wasn't too bad a paper topic-wise (except I wasn't that well prepared for it) ... hope this isnt a bad sign for us :-(

That is all wrong. You are quoting the F212 JUNE 2010. The Jan 2011 paper was the completely the opposite of what you have just said. I sat both papers and The jan 2011 was much much harder. And i think whatever is in jan 2011 will not come up in june 2011.
Original post by bites
hi

as part of biodiversity revision , can anyone can explain to me the pros and cons of conservation in situ and ex situ

Animal in situ

1. Conserves animal in natural habitat
2. Gets locals involved in order to protect the environment
3. Permanently protects biodiversity and ensures that some cultural integrity can be maintained or restored
4. Allows management of the area and therefore helps to ensure that ecological integrity is maintained
5. Facilitates scientific research

Disadvantages

1. Not always possible-habitat destruction from natural disaster for example.
2. Needs international cooperation- this can be difficult and not all countries agree.
3. people may continue to hunt for endangered species unless high barriers to entry are put in place
4. Tourists feeding animals or leaving litter

Ex situ- artificially created environment

1. Allows species to be conserved even if habitat is destroyed
2. Allows a wild stock of organisms to be maintained e.g.also Sperm, eggs.
3. Diseases can be eradicated quickly as animals monitored and treated

Disadvantages

1. Can reduce genetic diversity, particularly because space is limited and this limits number of individuals
2. A decrease in genetic diversity can result in a lack of variation
3. This means that a species is less able to adapt to changing conditions, which can effect animals ability to breed successfully.
4. Can be hard to re-introduce animals back into wild.

Hope this helps. Also you need to learn ads and disads of plant ex situ but they are pretty similar.
Why did someone neg me? :frown: don't care about getting negs but I didn't do anything but help someone?
Why did someone neg me? :frown: don't care about getting negs but I didn't do anything but help someone?

+1 from me :smile:
I have yet to start a single past paper :frown:
Original post by ManPowa
That is all wrong. You are quoting the F212 JUNE 2010. The Jan 2011 paper was the completely the opposite of what you have just said. I sat both papers and The jan 2011 was much much harder. And i think whatever is in jan 2011 will not come up in june 2011.

Apologies!! you are right, sorry that was June 2010 ..... anyone have the Jan 2011 paper link? (or know what came up?)
Just printed off the Jan 10 paper to do this morning. Im really bad at evolution, classification and biodiversity D:
i am terrible at that module too! hope not a lot comes up on it, after that horrible f211 paper in jan all about plants....

ok, from the Jan '11 paper- topics that came up (so probably won't be that much of in ours) .....

-define health
-2 primary defences and how they work (4 mks)
-parasite (define + how does it benefit from living in host)
-AIDS
-TB - 3 factors which increase chance of TB
-B lymphocytes (how cytokine molecules trigger them to divide)
-natural/passive etc immunity - fill in the blanks question

-DNA/RNA differences/similarities table

-Hydrogen bonds (how are they formed)

-structure of haemoglobin (7 marks)
-collagen structure - describe similarities to haemoglobin (4 mks)

-benefits of using antibiotics for animals in food production

-species richness definition
-sampling using sweep nets
-species evenness

-types of evidence used by taxonomists when classifying organisms

-2 disadvantages of selective breeding

-continuous variation

-advantages (2 marks) of preserving population of red jungle fowl (maintain biodiversity etc...)

Practical question: (7 mks)
-effect of amylase (hydrolyses amylose to maltose) on amylose - describe an experiment you could do to measure change in maltose concentration as the reaction proceeds

Doesnt seem like that nice a paper to have to do ..... hopefully this is a good sign for ours!??
What I want to come up-

1. I hope a lot of DNA comes up!
2. I would like the structures of glycogen, starch, cellulose and collagen to come up.
3. Hmm and I wouldn't mind a bit on enzymes either.

My dreaded topics (that could possibly come up on the exam)

1. Anything to do with taxonomists2.
2. Anything to do with suggesting!
3. Immune system- Particularly the structure of lymphocytes etc..
4. Diet- I bet they ask smething really complicated on this such as BMI and accuracy!

What I think will come up-

1. Almost definitely something on smoking, maybe it will include epidemeology. Or maybe experimental evidence (can someone explain this evidence to me please?)
2. They almost definitely have to ask something on structure of biomolecules
3. Why do I get the feeling they are going to ask something complicated on cholesterol?
4. Why do I get a shiver down my spine every time I open evolution notes- I think speciation is going to come up!
5. I think Non-reducing sugars will come up, something along the lines of 'Suggest a difference in structure between a reducing and a non reducing sugar, that means Benedicts solution can only ever change the colour of a reducing sugar'
6. Biodiversity Biodiversity Biodiversity- Maybe quadrats, belt transects, line trnasects. Calculate abundancy.
7. How the properties of water are related to its function.
8. How a drug that inhibits enzymes from working can be of benefit for people suffering with AIDS
9. Oh oh oh this is bound to come up! MALARIA AND TB. Be prepared on those.
10. Formation of nucelic acids.
Reply 59
Original post by taunt

Original post by taunt
In the order u jus said lol

I got: 9/10, 9/10, 18/10

wt bwt u?? :tongue:

dunt want to show off bt i got 9/10, 10/10, 19/20
Jus did F2 11 today...seems fairly ok.....now heading onto F212 nxt friday...

Quick Reply

Latest