The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast Medicine Apps 2012 :D

For all those lethal people also applying :woo:
QUB as usual this year very strict on wanting extremely high gcses & ukcat but for the first time ever are now interviewing applicants as well using MMI

Absolutely my first choice, gap year's allowed me to reapply- but good luck to everyone :h:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Count me in :biggrin:
Reply 2
I was planning on applying, but after recieving my UKCAT score I'm not so sure. :frown: Best of luck to everyone though.
Original post by Angury
I was planning on applying, but after recieving my UKCAT score I'm not so sure. :frown: Best of luck to everyone though.

:frown: I was like that last year, their gcse and ukcat point system is cut throat and just made me realise theres no point applying unless youve got like 12A* AND 800 ukcat or something. Crazy.

Where else you applying? :h:
Reply 4
Original post by laurenl93
:frown: I was like that last year, their gcse and ukcat point system is cut throat and just made me realise theres no point applying unless youve got like 12A* AND 800 ukcat or something. Crazy.

Where else you applying? :h:

Well all the universities I wanted to apply to I can't because of my UKCAT so I've been doing some research lately. :tongue: I've been thinking whether I should risk putting Queens down as one of my options though, because their introducing interviews this year so hopefully they will allow people with lower points to come for interviews? ..or maybe not.
Reply 5
@Angury

Don't rule yourself out just yet. What is your UKCAT score? What is your total score based on the QUB system?

If you're unsure, check here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/medicine/Prospectivestudents/Applying/

I'm just about to start QUB Medicine in September so can answer any questions people have.
Reply 6
I'll be applying!

Not sure if it will be my first choice or not though. Fell in love with Glasgow when I went to the open day!
Reply 7
Original post by orie2261
@Angury

Don't rule yourself out just yet. What is your UKCAT score? What is your total score based on the QUB system?

If you're unsure, check here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/medicine/Prospectivestudents/Applying/

I'm just about to start QUB Medicine in September so can answer any questions people have.

My overall UKCAT score was 2490. According to that website, I'll have 35 points based on my GCSEs, then a further 3 points based on my overall UKCAT score. 38 points if I've done it right.. not sure if that's good. I was hoping my GCSEs would help bring my points up.
How many points do you think would be enough to secure an interview? Once you get to interview stage the slate is wiped clean and everyone is on level footing.

Hoping 40 points out of a possible 42 would be enough? Surely!?
Reply 9
Original post by Caponester
How many points do you think would be enough to secure an interview? Once you get to interview stage the slate is wiped clean and everyone is on level footing.

Hoping 40 points out of a possible 42 would be enough? Surely!?

I've no idea how many points they will be looking for...

I have 41 though, 60 UKCAT points off max score :eek:
Reply 10
Well, I think the maximum mark that you can achieve is 42 points, right? I don't think they'll go below 37/38 based on how they've been with the previous years [granted, it wasn't the same system but I can't imagine they'd drop their entry standard as they didn't go below 8A* GCSE for 2011 entry].

Yeah, 500 people interviewed then you are independent ranked based on your interview performance and about 300 offers will be made.

Word of warning for the interviews:

Do NOT assume it'll be one of those cliche panel interviews [Why Medicine? Why QUB] as it's far more interactive and it definitely puts you on the spot more and it's pretty impossible to rehearse answers too. Makes it far easier if you've got social skills :smile: x
(edited 12 years ago)
Well, I think the maximum mark that you can achieve is 42 points, right? I don't think they'll go below 37/38 based on how they've been with the previous years [granted, it wasn't the same system but I can't imagine they'd drop their entry standard as they didn't go below 8A* GCSE for 2011 entry].

Yeah, 500 people interviewed then you are independent ranked based on your interview performance and about 300 offers will be made.

Word of warning for the interviews:

Do NOT assume it'll be one of those cliche panel interviews [Why Medicine? Why QUB] as it's far more interactive and it definitely puts you on the spot more and it's pretty impossible to rehearse answers too. Makes it far easier if you've got social skills :smile: x

How do you know this? :smile:
Reply 12
I'm not too sure exactly what you mean by 'this' but I'm just making a (potentially massive) assumption about their cut off using information from previous years and I know for 2011 entry they didn't drop below 37/38 points (old system of out of 40) as they told us that on our interview days.

If you meant 'this' by how I knew about the interviews, it's because I myself (a graduate) was interviewed, and they went through the interview scoring system with us on the day and also told us they'd be using the same format (MMI) for everyone who was shortlisted for interview for 2012 entry.

Thought it'd be helpful to get advice from someone who went through the system successfully :-)
Reply 13
I'm not too sure exactly what you mean by 'this' but I'm just making a (potentially massive) assumption about their cut off using information from previous years and I know for 2011 entry they didn't drop below 37/38 points (old system of out of 40) as they told us that on our interview days.

If you meant 'this' by how I knew about the interviews, it's because I myself (a graduate) was interviewed, and they went through the interview scoring system with us on the day and also told us they'd be using the same format (MMI) for everyone who was shortlisted for interview for 2012 entry.

Thought it'd be helpful to get advice from someone who went through the system successfully :-)

Thank you very much for this information. Do you think it would be silly for me to apply with 38 points?
Reply 14
Term starts in less than 3 weeks, so I can have a question about with the admin people to see what they think :smile: I can't imagine that many people will get 42 so they'll just work down until 500 people have been selected for interview so I think 38 should be grand!
Reply 15
Anyone applying to QUB for dentistry this year? It would be great to see some sharing of thoughts and experiences between medicine and dentistry applicants, as the application process is the same for both.

I'll be applying to Queen's dental degree as a graduate this year.
(edited 12 years ago)
bumpbumpbumpity
Reply 17
I want to go to Queens for Medicine in 2012 so much, though i'm on 38 points out of 42 so I'm really unsure as to whether I'll get an interview or not :frown:
I was at the Queens open day a few weeks ago and asked an admissions tutor there, and they told me they honestly have no way of knowing what the cut off will be this year.
Quite annoyed as, if they kept the same system as they had last year, i would be on 37 points out of 40 and would've got an offer this time last year!
Original post by cliodna
I want to go to Queens for Medicine in 2012 so much, though i'm on 38 points out of 42 so I'm really unsure as to whether I'll get an interview or not :frown:
I was at the Queens open day a few weeks ago and asked an admissions tutor there, and they told me they honestly have no way of knowing what the cut off will be this year.
Quite annoyed as, if they kept the same system as they had last year, i would be on 37 points out of 40 and would've got an offer this time last year!

If it's where you wanna go then I would say go for it, I completely understand ecause I've always wanted To go there and since TE systems new my thinking was that the score wouldn't be too high since people would be unsure about TE new admissions criteria. But don't rely on me for that that's just my opinion

But yeah if you want it that much and it doesn't look impossible, I don't see why Not :h:
Reply 19
Does anyone know if Queens will still look at GCSE's if i have already taken my A2's and got AAAA????

Quick Reply

Latest