The Student Room Group

How to watch F1 (legally) for free in 2012 without buying Sky, here is the solution

I have been thinking over next year's F1 tv schedule and the move to Sky. Today the BBC announced their coverage plan for 2012 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15893254.stm

Basically, 10 races will be shown live, the other 10 will be shown with extended highlights a few hours later.

Also, ALL races will be covered live on Radio 5 live.

This is great news! Here is how to watch every race live without buying Sky....

For the races not being broadcast live on BBC1, go online and find a tv channel from abroad that shows the F1 races live that enables you to watch their channel on live stream. There are lots of ways you can do this online for free, legally. I suggest German, Spanish or French tv channels, but you might wish to find channels in other languages.

Next, turn down the sound (if you are not a native or fluent speaker of the language being broadcast in) and then switch on Radio 5 live. Basically, you are now watching the race picture live via the internet, with live commentary from the radio in English.

Sorted! Aren't I a genius? Hey presto, you can now enjoy all the races live in 2012 with English commentary, and legally too. Sky not needed! I will be doing this. I will NOT be buying Sky out of a matter of principal.

I encourage EVERYONE to do this, and to NOT buy Sky.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here's a guide written outlining all the main methods to watch F1 legally in UK. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_legally_watch_F1_without_buying_Sky_Sports_F1
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Or you could just buy sky
Reply 3
or you could just go to the pub with mates and have a good time watching the races whilst there.
Reply 4
good idea in principle but they weren't be perfectly in sync with each other would they?
I have sky - you jelly?
Imagine, listening to formula one on radio without having anything to watch. that would be absolutely pointless. Good idea bro +1
Reply 7
Original post by Like_A_G6
or you could just go to the pub with mates and have a good time watching the races whilst there.

Good luck finding a pub that will show F1 over Sunday football
Do pubs even show F1? I doubt they'd show the early races or he later races, not to mention they favor sunday football so F1 wouldn't really get a look in. Not to mention why would anyone wanna spend 3 hours in a pub watching F1 (races and quli), I'd rather watch it on my Sofa or Bed mate.
Reply 9
why neg me seriously. My local pub shows F1 over Sunday football and will only show Sunday football over it if it is a massive game.
Original post by ChrisBan
Good luck finding a pub that will show F1 over Sunday football

I know several.

OP good idea if they are in sync, if not you don't actually need the commentary.
Original post by Raving_Hippy
I suggest German, Spanish or French tv channels.

I know for a fact that TF1 do not allow Live TV to be streamed outside of France, in Germany F1 airs on Sky, RTL and Sport1 air F1 too but very few and no live stream, no idea about Spain.

Really your solution is fraught with holes as you cannot watch the streams legally :lol:
Reply 12
Original post by Like_A_G6

Good luck finding one open in the middle of the night for Australia, or 6am for Japan and Malaysia.
Reply 13
Original post by tehFrance
I know for a fact that TF1 do not allow Live TV to be streamed outside of France, in Germany F1 airs on Sky, RTL and Sport1 air F1 too but very few and no live stream, no idea about Spain.

Really your solution is fraught with holes as you cannot watch the streams legally :lol:

You can watch live streams legally outside the UK if you look hard enough online. http://www.watchfomny.com is just one example. There are tons of similar services online.
Reply 14
Original post by curtis871
I know several.

OP good idea if they are in sync, if not you don't actually need the commentary.

Of course they're going to be in sync, since they're both broadcast live. The very most might be a second or 2 delay, which won't make much difference.
Reply 15
Original post by Birdman1234567
Imagine, listening to formula one on radio without having anything to watch. that would be absolutely pointless. Good idea bro +1

I've listened to some races live on Radio 5 live, and it's been fine. Their commentary is really excellent and kinda makes up for not having a live picture.
Reply 16
Original post by tehFrance

I'm pretty sure there is a way. An English landlady was tired of paying massive amounts to sky, so she set up some sort of satellite and streamed it from abroad. She was challenged in court and won. Let me find a source.

edit: "The ECJ said national legislation, which banned the use of overseas decoders, could not "be justified either in light of the objective of protecting intellectual property rights or by the objective of encouraging the public to attend football stadiums"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

Presumably this applies to F1 as well
(edited 12 years ago)
Or you could watch paint dry.

That's free too.
Original post by Planar
I'm pretty sure there is a way....

I was talking about online streams, you are of course legally allowed (so long as you are not using a residential sub for a commercial property that is) to purchase a decoder and subscription from Sky Deutschland, TivùSat or TNT Sat to watch the races but you cannot get the streams (not that it matters because out of the three countries, only France's TF1 has an online stream)... if you wish to pay for a VPN to say you are in France, Germany or Spain that is fine although equally as expensive as paying for Sky UK.
Original post by Raving_Hippy
You can watch live streams legally outside the UK if you look hard enough online. http://www.watchfomny.com is just one example. There are tons of similar services online.

Those sites are not official....

Quick Reply

Latest