The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

anyone at Durham Small Boats head this weekend?
Not at either, doing seat racing instead :frown:
Reply 1042
Original post by partoftheweekend
Not at either, doing seat racing instead :frown:

Seat racing is surprisingly good fun. Especially when it's side-by-side.
Original post by SimonM
Seat racing is surprisingly good fun. Especially when it's side-by-side.

Only when you win it lol. Im looking forward to it but there's some pretty decent competition.
Reply 1044
Only when you win it lol. Im looking forward to it but there's some pretty decent competition.

Best bit is getting your crew fired up for your race.
Anyone for Tyne Head?
Original post by kates:)
Anyone for Tyne Head?

I am there - although I hate the tyne with a passion... good practice for WeHoRR though!
Reply 1047
Original post by victoria13
I am there - although I hate the tyne with a passion... good practice for WeHoRR though!

Woah woah woah!! Careful what you're saying there. I used to think the Tyne was awful when I was at Durham but then when I started rowing permanently on the Tyne I realised that it's actually one of the best stretches of river in the country to row on.

At least 15km of river which is barely used by anything other than rowers, then another 15km with little more than a ship now and then. Yes it can get quite choppy at times but you get used to it and when it's flat it's a beautiful place to row :biggrin:

Trust me, once you've rowed on the Tyne for a while, you realise that it's Durham that's an awful place to row with all the floods, the Browns boats, the crowded river, the having to turn around every 15minutes, and the stupid bridges! Good luck with Tyne Head, wish I was there! :frown:
hey all!

in oxford we just had the isis wintern league today :biggrin:
bucs head anyone!?
Tyne Head cancelled due to weather concerns! So gutting, we'd all been training hard and were pumped up for it!
hello uelbc!
Reply 1052
Original post by dobbs
Woah woah woah!! Careful what you're saying there. I used to think the Tyne was awful when I was at Durham but then when I started rowing permanently on the Tyne I realised that it's actually one of the best stretches of river in the country to row on.

At least 15km of river which is barely used by anything other than rowers, then another 15km with little more than a ship now and then. Yes it can get quite choppy at times but you get used to it and when it's flat it's a beautiful place to row :biggrin:

Trust me, once you've rowed on the Tyne for a while, you realise that it's Durham that's an awful place to row with all the floods, the Browns boats, the crowded river, the having to turn around every 15minutes, and the stupid bridges! Good luck with Tyne Head, wish I was there! :frown:

Also, home to the best university boat club in the country.

Not the lavender lot, obviously.
Original post by Tabris

Are Brookes boating from there now?!

Also HORR draw up! Find out who you're going to be crashing into as you attempt to go under the 2nd lamppost at Hammersmith.
http://www.horr.co.uk/2012/draw.html
Reply 1054
Are Brookes boating from there now?!

Also HORR draw up! Find out who you're going to be crashing into as you attempt to go under the 2nd lamppost at Hammersmith.
http://www.horr.co.uk/2012/draw.html

Haha, brilliant.

Good luck with the head anyway. I also heard that UL spanked the Cambridge blue boat in pre-boat race matches this year?
Reply 1056
Original post by Tabris

It's palatinate, not lavender :P

And I'm quite sure Durham stomps all over Newcastle on a regular basis...unless you meant Northumbria...in which case, Durham DESTROYS Northumbria...always! :wink:
Anyone going to Nottingham Trent Head of the River Race on Sunday? Lovely 6km race!
Why I'm never going to win Henley:
[video="youtube;sQP3wsGbPXk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQP3wsGbPXk[/video]
Reply 1059
Why I'm never going to win Henley:
[video="youtube;sQP3wsGbPXk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQP3wsGbPXk[/video]

Not sure who they are but what does that prove? I know people who could sit on an erg and pull incredible times because they were built like a house, but when they got in a boat they made themselves look like a donkey having a seizure and couldn't do anything.

Obviously I'm not saying the people in the video are not good rowers, I'm sure they are, it's just that don't always take "Oooh a room of well built men erging" to mean "People who can move a boat fast" :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest