The Student Room Group

Further maths

If you choose to do maths & further maths a levels, is it worthwhile doing a fifth as and a fourth a2 in case unis don't recognise them as separate a levels?
Also, how much harder is further maths than single maths?
I will almost certainly take maths a level, and I am considering further maths. I have already sat the first 2 units of my maths GCSE: Unit 2 in March of year 9, A*, 90/100 UMS and Unit 1 in November of year 10, A*, 77/80 UMS. Still to sit unit 3 in November of year 11. I'm trying to decide if further maths would be a good choice.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by izpenguin
If you choose to do maths & further maths a levels, is it worthwhile doing a fifth as and a fourth a2 in case unis don't recognise them as separate a levels?
Also, how much harder is further maths than single maths?
I will almost certainly take maths a level, and I am considering further maths. I have already sat the first 2 units of my maths GCSE: Unit 2 in March of year 9, A*, 90/100 UMS and Unit 1 in November of year 10, A*, 77/80 UMS. Still to sit unit 3 in November of year 11. I'm trying to decide if further maths would be a good choice.
Thanks

Personally, I think it's awesome to do, and if you really like maths (which I'm taking you do) it is definitely worthwhile to take. If you're looking to do a maths A-level, or something physics related, it's something you'll definitely want, as it just gives you a broader understanding of A-level maths, and introduces some concepts that you won't learn in core maths alone. I am in A2, taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Wish my college had let me take a 5th.. :frown:
Reply 2
I did the same as you although I sat everything a year earlier. I finished my AS maths level mid way through Yr11 so maybe you should try to do the same. It took me around 3-4 months to learn the AS maths syllabus and got 89/100 C1, 90/100 C2 and 97/100 M1 and you've got GCSE Maths results far better than mine, I'm sure you could do exactly what I did. This way, instead of doing AS Maths in yr12, you can do F.Maths AS, and then drop it in yr13 and carry on A2 maths as usual.
Reply 3
I guess it depends on what you want to study when you're older. Some courses/unis accept it as a separate A level, some don't.

Only do further maths if you REALLY enjoy maths, and I mean REALLY. There is no use in doing it if you hate maths. I don't really see further maths as being difficult (I currently do FP1), but once you've grasped the concepts of each chapter, its really not that difficult. I guess maybe how they word the questions but once you get past that, it is enjoyable!

But good luck with any decision you make regarding taking it! (I recommend it if you like a challenge)
Reply 4
Sounds like a dilemma, a bit like Mr Poe in the Bad Beginning...
Reply 5
Thanks for all the advice guys :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Agent 47
Sounds like a dilemma, a bit like Mr Poe in the Bad Beginning...

Killed it agent 47...

...Or should i say JOR 2010. Or even The count Olaf...

Or even The meat King...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending