The Student Room Group

I want to do a computer science degree but...

Hey guys, I need advice. I'm currently on holiday in Canada and not a second goes by when I'm not panicking. Basically I want to go into computer science but I'm worried I haven't achieved high enough. I took as levels, where I did badly and got BED in sociology, geography and APPLIED ICT. Now I took applied ICT thinking it was going to be more hands on ICT which is what I like, but it's more like business studies so I never really enjoyed it and never got stuck in. Now I'm approaching the end of my a2 year and I've applied for a foundation degree in computer science at my local course offering a 120 UCAS point entry requirement. I can easily get this I am confident, however I went to the interview and they were very impressed. They then asked for a D or higher in applied ICT for my final a level. I talked to my ICT teacher and he said I should get this but I am absolutely swamped in work at the moment and all I can think of is not getting the D and what the hell am I gonna do after?! So I have a few options. I was looking at trainee jobs, now the first question is do you need a degree for a trainee job? Secondly I was thinking about retaking year 13, but then I thought they are only interested in my ICT so could I use my year 13 year to retake year 12 and year 13 applied ICT at the same time? I'm sure my school would let me I just need some advice because I'm getting really down about this and I'm not too sure what to do anymore, thankyou guys.:confused:
Reply 1
Another option is completely redoing my a levels in different subjects, for example biology physics and Maths. What do you guys think?
Reply 2
I can't say I'm in the same position, however I would have thought it would be better to restart completely as university fees are so expensive now. Better to take more time and be prepared for the course than to blunder straight ahead in my opinion. Can anyone else who has been in a similar situation shed some light on the matter?

A
Reply 3
I'm thinking if I don't get in I'm gonna retake year 12 and 13 ICT in a year and only do ICT. Would that be possible?
Reply 4
Original post by Uyfgfar
Hey guys, I need advice. I'm currently on holiday in Canada and not a second goes by when I'm not panicking. Basically I want to go into computer science but I'm worried I haven't achieved high enough. I took as levels, where I did badly and got BED in sociology, geography and APPLIED ICT. Now I took applied ICT thinking it was going to be more hands on ICT which is what I like, but it's more like business studies so I never really enjoyed it and never got stuck in. Now I'm approaching the end of my a2 year and I've applied for a foundation degree in computer science at my local course offering a 120 UCAS point entry requirement. I can easily get this I am confident, however I went to the interview and they were very impressed. They then asked for a D or higher in applied ICT for my final a level. I talked to my ICT teacher and he said I should get this but I am absolutely swamped in work at the moment and all I can think of is not getting the D and what the hell am I gonna do after?! So I have a few options. I was looking at trainee jobs, now the first question is do you need a degree for a trainee job? Secondly I was thinking about retaking year 13, but then I thought they are only interested in my ICT so could I use my year 13 year to retake year 12 and year 13 applied ICT at the same time? I'm sure my school would let me I just need some advice because I'm getting really down about this and I'm not too sure what to do anymore, thankyou guys.:confused:

Do different subjects for your retake in S-Levels because they don't look linked enough to Computer Science.You should take a Science,Computing,Maths and further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending