The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by lilmissA
Having a hard time concentrating on my degree ! I feel a quite anxious and that ime a failure sighss ... this iz really taking a toll on my self esteem , any advice any1??

I applied during my degree two years back and didn't get in, as frustrating and emotional as it can be, try to concentrate on your degree because having the 2:1or 1st will be a reward in itself. I finished with a 1st and this gave me the motivation with my application the year after, even though I didn't get in, I was determined not to give up and this helped me get through this year. I have now got my place and will be studying at Keele. Please do not think you're a failure, because you are NOT. Try to stay strong, I had 10 medical school rejections before I got one. It was emotional but totally worth it when I got my place. Good luck and if you want to talk PM me. :hugs:
Reply 141
Original post by manderson
I applied during my degree two years back and didn't get in, as frustrating and emotional as it can be, try to concentrate on your degree because having the 2:1or 1st will be a reward in itself. I finished with a 1st and this gave me the motivation with my application the year after, even though I didn't get in, I was determined not to give up and this helped me get through this year. I have now got my place and will be studying at Keele. Please do not think you're a failure, because you are NOT. Try to stay strong, I had 10 medical school rejections before I got one. It was emotional but totally worth it when I got my place. Good luck and if you want to talk PM me. :hugs:

Thank you for your response :smile: , I have sent u a PM ...
I'm a grad and just got my 3rd and final rejection... however getting rejected this year has provided me with an amazing opportunity i ma taking up next year.

I'm a non science grad and have done much experience in healthcare, its a lottery a lot of it, im still waiting to find out if any warwick people that have accepted this year are non science grads because so far everyone i see are all science degrees.
Reply 143
Has anyone been to/is wanting to go to vitalise?
can i ask postgraduates how you fund a postgraduate degree? im stuck on putting a 5th choice because i dont know if i should put down something thats maybe not so safe but that id enjoy doing instead of medicine or if i should put down something safe and do medicine postgraduate, but i dont know how id be able to pay for it all, my parents are no way in any position to help. I mean id be happy taking a second gap year after this but a third i think is pushing it hahaha
Original post by sablarrr
Has anyone been to/is wanting to go to vitalise?

i went a year ago, its really good. everyones really friendly and if youre over 18 which i presume you are now you can work towards this blue badge thing which is like learning abount personal care and using hoists and stuff. Im thinking of going again to get that experience because i was too young to do the badge but it would be really useful to help me get a job this year when im up against people with NVQs
Original post by QofQuimica
Well I already know where I am applying, BSMS, Newcastle, Manchester & Leicester. No particular order...I need a stonking great UKCAT for 3 of them/maybe 4 as BSMS are reviewing their selection procedure. My UKCAT was a rubbish 600 this year and I knew I wouldnt get anywhere with that score..Getting excited at the thought of applying again though now..:biggrin:

im applying to newcastle and leicester this year XD and i think also kings college and st georges. newcasltes my top choice, i applied there for 2012 entry and they gave really useful feedback on my interview so fingers crossed i can up my game
Original post by sablarrr
Did you have a job in your gap year? Also, is it that important to have a health care related job? (I suppose any job has skills that are useful for a doctor). I'm asking because I've been trying to find HCA/care assistant jobs. I can't find any :emo:

keep checking nhs jobs, ive managed to get a bank HCA job interview within a week of looking and there are loads of full time in my area (lincolnshire) but im gonna hold off applying for them unti after school
I’m finding it difficult to work out how much of my previous experience to put into my Personal statement this time round. I’m going to Tanzania for a month. so I want to get that in and I’m starting work as a HCA so I also want to include that. I’m worried that if I include all of this new stuff I won’t have room to include any of my previous experiences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by i_hate_ucas
keep checking nhs jobs, ive managed to get a bank HCA job interview within a week of looking and there are loads of full time in my area (lincolnshire) but im gonna hold off applying for them unti after school

Id apply now, CRB checks take as long as 3 months to come through..
Id apply now, CRB checks take as long as 3 months to come through..

What about if you've already done a crb check before but for another organisation, could u just hand it over to them.
I did my crb with st johns, took 3 weeks to come back, a few months later, I did w/e in my local care home and I handed in my crb and they were fine with it.
Reply 151
Original post by i_hate_ucas
i went a year ago, its really good. everyones really friendly and if youre over 18 which i presume you are now you can work towards this blue badge thing which is like learning abount personal care and using hoists and stuff. Im thinking of going again to get that experience because i was too young to do the badge but it would be really useful to help me get a job this year when im up against people with NVQs

Ah right, thanks. Does it cost anything?
Original post by carlsimmons2
I’m finding it difficult to work out how much of my previous experience to put into my Personal statement this time round. I’m going to Tanzania for a month in July so I want to get that in and I’m starting work as a HCA so I also want to include that. I’m worried that if I include all of this new stuff I won’t have room to include any of my previous experiences.

I think just try to get a balance. Certainly if you did any work experience pre gap year that was relevant then mention it. When I wrote mine I didn't have anything to say about what I had started doing as I submitted in September and I was starting most things late September/early October :/. Likewise if you have anything that is in the future tense (just plans for gap year) only mention them briefly. Focus on stuff you have already done and ultimately relevant NHS work experience is probably better than volunteering/work experience in Tanzania.
Reply 153
Hi Guys,
I got my 4 rejections, sadly, but Im not sure wether I should do something about my a -levels or not.

I have AAA in AS Bio Chem & Maths. And im predicted AAA in A2 (maybe an A* if i work hard)
But i have a D and E in English lit and Critical thinking respectively.
Should I retake, or do more AS levels or not bother?
Should I apply Med Schools that done care much about the 4th AS?
Im so Confused!
But my application choices last year were so flawed.

Any help would be very appreciated :smile:
Original post by This Honest
What about if you've already done a crb check before but for another organisation, could u just hand it over to them.
I did my crb with st johns, took 3 weeks to come back, a few months later, I did w/e in my local care home and I handed in my crb and they were fine with it.

Well they are not supposed to do that. They are meant to always do a new crb check no matter how recent it was done. I know for a fact the NHS will want to do a new one for you. Its a pain I know, but get used to doing lots and lots of CRB forms...
Well they are not supposed to do that. They are meant to always do a new crb check no matter how recent it was done. I know for a fact the NHS will want to do a new one for you. Its a pain I know, but get used to doing lots and lots of CRB forms...

O i see!
Guess I was lucky last time! :colondollar:
Reply 156
Hi
I was wondering if a job in a pharmacy or opticians (during my gap year) will weaken my application...As there aren't many HCA vacancies in my area?
Original post by leezee
I am officially on this thread now... :frown:

Are there any points to try to improve my GCSEs?

I have 3 rejections without interview .. although I have 9 A*s at GCSE... so, I think there must be something wrong with my application since I don't even any an interview for 3 of them.

Do universities look at the gcses achieved after Year 11?

thanks!

what AS grades did you get?
Reply 158
Original post by xxsanhaxx
Hi
I was wondering if a job in a pharmacy or opticians (during my gap year) will weaken my application...As there aren't many HCA vacancies in my area?

I'm not talking from experience but I'm pretty sure any job is seen as something worth doing, but it's an added bonus if it's in a healthcare profession/involves lots of personal contact with people. Jobs are hard to come by anyway, so it would be unfair to expect gappers to all get healthcare jobs.
Reply 159
Original post by Toppy
I'm not talking from experience but I'm pretty sure any job is seen as something worth doing, but it's an added bonus if it's in a healthcare profession/involves lots of personal contact with people. Jobs are hard to come by anyway, so it would be unfair to expect gappers to all get healthcare jobs.

Yeah that's what I was thinking :/ but it would be really disappointing if it weakens my app :/
HavE you got a HCA job?

Quick Reply

Latest