The Student Room Group

If you dont meet your firm and insurance choice...

and decide not to go through clearing, can you simply pay to privately retake your exams and then apply next year without new references and an updated personal statement (as in just use the same ones I was given/wrote this year)? or would i need new ones? do I get to just use the same UCAS account I already have?

Sorry if this seems stupid, but I'm confused.

Scroll to see replies

Lol you might aswell give up
Reply 2
Original post by Transcendence
Lol you might aswell give up

Its not like I'm planning on failing I'm just confused about how someone would do it
Reply 3
You need to make a new ucas account. You also need a referee - and it's up to you if this is the same person or different, but either way the actual reference should be different. As should the personal statement. You're a year older so should have something new to write about.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
You need to make a new ucas account. You also need a referee - and it's up to you if this is the same person or different, but either way the actual reference should be different. As should the personal statement. You're a year older so should have something new to write about.

Thank You :smile:
Reply 5
I asked me teacher to give me a reference again this year so she just updated it a bit and sent it off :smile: you can use your old personal statement too, just update it with what you're doing and what not. I had to create a new UCAS account for the this year but I was able to keep my old ID number.
Reply 6
Original post by josiexoxo
I asked me teacher to give me a reference again this year so she just updated it a bit and sent it off :smile: you can use your old personal statement too, just update it with what you're doing and what not. I had to create a new UCAS account for the this year but I was able to keep my old ID number.

If I move to a different centre to do the exams would they still do it even though I'm not a student at their college anymore? Where would I get that buzz word from? Would the private centre I'm doing the exams at send it off to UCAS? :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by blob290
If I move to a different centre to do the exams would they still do it even though I'm not a student at their college anymore? Where would I get that buzz word from? Would the private centre I'm doing the exams at send it off to UCAS? :confused:

You would need to choose where to get your reference from, and that centre provides the buzzword. The old centre would have known you longer and thus would probably be best, but yooud need to ask them.
Reply 8
Original post by blob290
and decide not to go through clearing, can you simply pay to privately retake your exams and then apply next year without new references and an updated personal statement (as in just use the same ones I was given/wrote this year)? or would i need new ones? do I get to just use the same UCAS account I already have?

Sorry if this seems stupid, but I'm confused.

Well you can, however you need repay the money for the UCAS process and you need a reference which your current college should provide if their nice.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
You would need to choose where to get your reference from, and that centre provides the buzzword. The old centre would have known you longer and thus would probably be best, but yooud need to ask them.

So the centre I'm paying to do the exams at provide the buzzword and can also write the references even if they don't know me? Sorry for all the questions but your help is very much appreciated
Reply 10
Original post by blob290

Ah sorry I don't know, I did it through the school I was at so it was easy enough for me to the exams there. They also gave me their new buzz word. Could you not ask the college you were at to do the exams there? and get their buzz word?

Who's to say you won't get in to your firm or insurance! Good luck and have more faith :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Iqbal007
Well you can, however you need repay the money for the UCAS process and you need a reference which your current college should provide if their nice.

But I don't think my current college would write me references or help if i move to a private center
Reply 12
Original post by blob290
So the centre I'm paying to do the exams at provide the buzzword and can also write the references even if they don't know me? Sorry for all the questions but your help is very much appreciated

The old centre would be best, but the new centre could do it
Reply 13
Original post by josiexoxo
Ah sorry I don't know, I did it through the school I was at so it was easy enough for me to the exams there. They also gave me their new buzz word. Could you not ask the college you were at to do the exams there? and get their buzz word?

Who's to say you won't get in to your firm or insurance! Good luck and have more faith :biggrin:

They don't just do private exams :frown: I would have to retake the whole year, I guess if I have to I'll just do this though :frown:

Haha you're right! Lets hope :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by blob290
But I don't think my current college would write me references or help if i move to a private center

All they have to do is give you a copy of the reference. They're dicks if they don't. Chances are they will be your referee again if you reapply, it takes 5 mins since they'll already have written the reference.

What you would do if you just retake exams (and not actually do the whole year again) is apply independently and put your old college down as referees. You would pay the new college, any college or sixth form, to take exams privately.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Juno
The old centre would be best, but the new centre could do it

what would the new centre write though, if they haven't met me apart from when I go in to do the exams :s-smilie: could i tell them what to write? I really don't think my old college would help me if i leave :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by tooosh
All they have to do is give you a copy of the reference. They're dicks if they don't. Chances are they will be your referee again if you reapply, it takes 5 mins since they'll already have written the reference.

What you would do if you just retake exams (and not actually do the whole year again) is apply independently and put your old college down as referees. You would pay the new college, any college or sixth form, to take exams privately.

So could I just email my old tutor and ask her to give me the reference and buzz word or do i get the buzz word from the private centre and the references from my old college?
Reply 17
Original post by blob290
what would the new centre write though, if they haven't met me apart from when I go in to do the exams :s-smilie: could i tell them what to write? I really don't think my old college would help me if i leave :frown:

Exactly. This is all hypothetical and wasting my time since I have a bottle of wine to finish. All you seem to want is for people to say the same things over and over again and I'm not nice enough for that.
Reply 18
Original post by blob290

Well what do you mean by private center?
A private college where you take classes, etc or just exams?
Reply 19
Original post by Juno
Exactly. This is all hypothetical and wasting my time since I have a bottle of wine to finish. All you seem to want is for people to say the same things over and over again and I'm not nice enough for that.

Yes what I want is for everyone to give me the same answers over and over again because thats really going to help. Thanks for answering anyway

Quick Reply

Latest