The Student Room Group

How to pass your exams

Hi everyone,

I'm a trainee teacher on my PGCE and have made a new video on my top exam tips to help you pass an exam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNONKNUaIs&feature=plcp

There are loads more on top of those, so what are the best tips you have for other students taking exams?

Mine are:

Prepare the night before and have hay fever tablets and big breakfast to stop you annoying everyone with your stomach rumbling and sniffling.

Secondly, plan your answers, it is not time wasted, it is time well spent.

Lastly, don't finish early, use all the time you have available.

So what are your top tips on doing well in your exams?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I read...then i answer...make sure i sleep that night and give myself 4 hours of cramming the moment i wake up.
Reply 3
Eat badam.
Reply 4
Memorise the books a month before the exams and attempt a few past papers just to ingrain the knowledge (and to get a confidence boost), then start finishing off every paper I can get my hands on as I approach the exams. It's a strategy I've adopted for A-Levels and it's working out well so far!
Reply 5
Original post by Raj K
Eat badam.

dood badam :colone:
Reply 6
Original post by Raj K
Eat badam.

Nuts?
Improvise :smile:
Original post by Student296
Nuts?

almonds, or ground almonds in milk, or milk and almonds?
Reply 9
Original post by minthumbugs
almonds, or ground almonds in milk, or milk and almonds?

I haven't heard of this one before :confused:
Reply 10
Nuts?

looool yeahhh almonds..apparently they increase neurotransmitters in the brain haha
Reply 11
Original post by DarkTitan
dood badam :colone:

:P
Original post by simonbellringer
Improvise :smile:

This.... Definitely this!
I haven't heard of this one before :confused:

I was just translating 'badam' and 'dood badam'
My mum always tells me to eat them. Not sure it does much. I prefer chocolate..
Original post by minthumbugs
I was just translating 'badam' and 'dood badam'
My mum always tells me to eat them. Not sure it does much. I prefer chocolate..

She's just giving you your 5 (badam) a day, I understood what all those words meant :wink:
Drink a fruit smoothie by the innocent brand. It really relaxes you and and completely refreshes the mind. It is 100% squashed fruit with nothing else added.

Not to mention it tastes absolutely fantastic. A cup is equivalent to 2 of your 5 a day.
Original post by Ilyas
Drink a fruit smoothie by the innocent brand. It really relaxes you and and completely refreshes the mind. It is 100% squashed fruit with nothing else added.

Not to mention it tastes absolutely fantastic. A cup is equivalent to 2 of your 5 a day.

Do you advertise for them? :tongue:

Btw I love innocent smoothies!
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Do you advertise for them? :tongue:

Btw I love innocent smoothies!

You can't not love innocent smoothies <- it's a mathematical impossibility!
Reply 18
I tend to do my revision 2 night b4 my exam :biggrin:.
Any1 else do this?
Make sure you're prepared. Rather than learning and understanding the subject you should instead learn how to answer the exam paper. There will be "model" ways to answer each question which your teacher will likely go over with you; answering in this manner saves time since you're not writing down crap that isn't getting you marks, and also won't miss any marks either.

Sleep the night before an exam is overrated. It's far better to stay up cramming and rote learning if you have to than make sure you get a perfect sleep - chances are you won't anyway, so why bother?

Get up early for the exam so that you can go over everything you've memorised again just to make sure that you've not forgotten it.

Remember, exams are a memory test and nothing more. The sooner you release this despite however much you may feel that it's wrong, the sooner your grades will increase whilst your effort spent obtaining them decreases.

Quick Reply