The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tamil4
what are grade boundaries usually like for english?
I got 70/80 for coursework and apparently 72/80 was the A* for the coursework last year.
So would it mean that i have to get a solid A* in this exam to get an overall A*?

It depends because you have to consider your controlled assessments and speaking and listening marks.. You will probably have to get a fairly solid A* I think :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 21
I got 64/80 for coursework.. anybody know what that is? Also what would I need for an A in this exam?
Reply 22
what do you mean by creative writing?

do you mean like expanding your vocab?

also how is everyone on here told to structure their persuade question?

also has anyone got any model answers for aqa gcse english language?
Hi there people,

I am just finalising my revision for the aforementioned exam, and I have worked out the timing for each question (incl. planning) on the Higher tier paper;

Reading Section
1) - 8 Marks - 10 Minutes (17 incl. Reading)
2) - 8 Marks - 10 Minutes (17 incl. Reading)
3) - 8 Marks - 10 Minutes (17 incl. Reading)
4) - 16 Marks - 25 Minutes (No additional text to read)

Writing Section
5) - 16 Marks - 25 Minutes (incl. Planning)
6) - 24 Marks - 35 Minutes (incl. Planning)

Unless I have made one of the most basic mathematical errors in history, that leaves you with about 5 minutes at the end to check through your work.

P.S. I have read through a higher paper, and I got the writing section timings from there, but they don't seem to put them there for the reading section.

Good Luck!

Aidan

P.P.S. If you want me to work out the Foundation tier, you are more than welcome to ask
Reply 25
Original post by Anny Smiles
Awesome! Do you have access to a mark scheme too, by any chance?

No sorry, our school only gave us the paper:frown:
OOOO! You guys should list all the literary devices, for example allegory, aphorism,hyperbole etc. Then list descriptive words to describe sound, touch, smell and sight. Moreover, you should list adjectives to describe the following:
An angry person - cantankerousness, implacable
An happy person - ecstatic etc..
Etc..

TIP - Whenever you write be aware of your tenses; and look out for any sentence fragment
Are you allowed to use a pen in the first 15 mins reading time of the exam? pls help.. XD
OOOO! You guys should list all the literary devices, for example allegory, aphorism,hyperbole etc. Then list descriptive words to describe sound, touch, smell and sight. Moreover, you should list adjectives to describe the following:
An angry person - cantankerousness, implacable
An happy person - ecstatic etc..
Etc..

TIP - Whenever you write be aware of your tenses; and look out for any sentence fragment

What is aphorism?

why should we be aware of our tenses?

and what is sentence fragment and why should we be aware of it?
Reply 29
For question 1, can i write my answer like:

The group were "rafting" on a trip "down the collorado river, through the grand canyon"

or like this:

The group travelled on on an exhilerating trip down the magnificent Collarado river and through the Grand Canyon.

??
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by science-oliver
What is aphorism?

why should we be aware of our tenses?

and what is sentence fragment and why should we be aware of it?

Fairly certain that post was spam..
Reply 31
Original post by Iamtidal
Basically you just need two know how to answer the 4 reading question types. Doing a few practice papers should help with them. The writing is harder, as many different tasks can come up, just know that it will be one inform/advise and one persuade/argue.

I bet the writing tasks will include: Olympics, Queen's Jubilee, and hopefully something to do with Eurovision (fingers crossed) - watched it last nights, and reading the pages in the newspaper
Fairly certain that post was spam..

No. No it actually wasn't spam.

I realise my query about tenses was very stupid, however not all of us are aware of what aphorism or sentence fragmentation is.

If you would like to refrain yourself from using sarcastic comments and state what my questions mean, it would be very much appreciated and more beneficial.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by tsunadesenju
Are you allowed to use a pen in the first 15 mins reading time of the exam? pls help.. XD

the first 15 mins they just help you to read the texts, but if you want (like me), just start doing the exam paper when it starts - at least that's what our school does

one inform/advise and one persuade/argue.

I bet the writing tasks will include: Olympics, Queen's Jubilee, and hopefully something to do with Eurovision (fingers crossed) - watched it last nights, and reading the pages in the newspaper

i totally agree with either the olympics coming up or the Queen's Jubilee.

Is their any useful texts you could send me which are related to the olympics or the guardian because i can't seem to find any that are useful?

also what could be the presentational devices for this article, got given it by my teacher to do it for tomorrow as she believes it will be on the olympics?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/23/olympic-torch-guardian-relay-mary-wixey
Reply 36
No. No it actually wasn't spam.

I realise my query about tenses was very stupid, however not all of us are aware of what aphorism or sentence fragmentation is.

If you would like to refrain yourself from using sarcastic comments and state what my questions mean, it would be very much appreciated and more beneficial.

Hi, I think they meant the person who posted about aphorisms etc as their post was quite unrelated. I believe aphorisms are general statements loosely based on truth, sorry I can't think of any good examples. Sentence fragmentation would be sentences which aren't coherent, they're not linked together properly so they don't flow or make sense. I wouldn't worry atm about finding texts about the jubilee or olympics- for one, we're not completely sure it will come up so you could be wasting your time, and also, I think it's more productive to revise the techniques we need to use in the test, e.g. persuasive techniques such as statement dressed as fact. My teacher told me you don't need to know real facts, you can put in fabricated ones and use them to back up your argument, you'll still get marks for doing that.:smile:
Reply 37
also what could be the presentational devices for this article, got given it by my teacher to do it for tomorrow as she believes it will be on the olympics?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/23/olympic-torch-guardian-relay-mary-wixey

I can't help much with that because I don't know what the mark schemes ask for, (trying to find now, can I ask if this: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-ENG1H-W-MS-JAN11.PDF is blank for anyone else, or is it just me?) but presentational devices are the ways in which the story has been presented to attract attention and interesting an audience. For example, the photo has got bright, vibrant colours which bring the inital attraction to the story. On closer inspection you see the photo depicts an elderly woman running which breaks social convention so that'll interest the reader. I think you can also point out the obvious, so pick up on the fact that the heading is bold, things like that.
Reply 38
Original post by Anny Smiles
Awesome! Do you have access to a mark scheme too, by any chance?

yeh that would help a lot actually:smile: anyone???
Reply 39
Original post by dr-jimmy
trying to find now, can I ask if this: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-ENG1H-W-MS-JAN11.PDF is blank for anyone else, or is it just me?

nope it works fine for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending