The Student Room Group

Anyone doing CCEA As Geography?

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone was doing CCEA As geography this year that would like to compare/discuss notes....:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hello, yes i'm doing A.S2 Human geography on the 30th! you doing the same :biggrin: ?
Reply 2
doing as 1 and 2 this june :biggrin:

not too bad with 2.....1 seems to be failing me big time!!:frown:
Reply 3
not so bad ! do yeno anyone doing the AS2 exam on the 30th?
Reply 4
hello are you doing the phycial paper in June , if so any predictions for essay questions??
Original post by aqagcse2011
hello are you doing the phycial paper in June , if so any predictions for essay questions??

yeah im doin that paper but no predictions unfortunately.. i have an awful teacher for unit1.
Reply 6
yeah same hi, but what are you gonna look over closely? did you do unit 2 yet?
im jus gonna make sure i know the case studies really well esp for topic 1 and 3 since those are the most straight foward...ecosystems is an awful section =/ and no doing unit 2 the week after!
Reply 8
aww hate it so much do you do religion?
I'm resitting paper 2! The geography teachers in my school are pretty awful, it really showed as I went from an A in paper 1 (in a class of around 25, only 3 got an A and the class was fairly smart) to a fabulous D in paper 2! I swiftly dropped the subject, but that C at AS remains to haunt me :colondollar:
So, seeing as I haven't looked at my notes in a year, this thread may come in handy!
Reply 10
Hi guys, I do CCEA for GCSE, and do you guys agree they are an awful exam board?
Original post by snailsareslimy
I'm resitting paper 2! The geography teachers in my school are pretty awful, it really showed as I went from an A in paper 1 (in a class of around 25, only 3 got an A and the class was fairly smart) to a fabulous D in paper 2! I swiftly dropped the subject, but that C at AS remains to haunt me :colondollar:
So, seeing as I haven't looked at my notes in a year, this thread may come in handy!

I'm actually best at unit 2! was it skills that let you down or the theory stuff or everything?

I get an A in every Unit 2 mock I've done this year..and D's in unit 1-Mind you not alot of revision was done, but I'd never gotten a D in my life!! Do you have any advice on how i can bring this up? I'd like an A over all...
Original post by Coke1
Hi guys, I do CCEA for GCSE, and do you guys agree they are an awful exam board?

Not at all- I've experienced CCEA and AQA and I prefer CCEA hands down. I did GCSE with CCEA last year and it was a breeze. Night before revision! got an A:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by JustDisturbia
Not at all- I've experienced CCEA and AQA and I prefer CCEA hands down. I did GCSE with CCEA last year and it was a breeze. Night before revision! got an A:biggrin:

They're tests may not be that hard but the marking is terrible...They made major errors with our coursework grades! They seem to be known for cocking up marking!
I'm actually best at unit 2! was it skills that let you down or the theory stuff or everything?

I get an A in every Unit 2 mock I've done this year..and D's in unit 1-Mind you not alot of revision was done, but I'd never gotten a D in my life!! Do you have any advice on how i can bring this up? I'd like an A over all...

I honestly have no real advice other than know your case studies and fieldwork stuff inside out! I actually spent the first two terms messing around, hiding pencil cases and whatnot, I was incredibly shocked to get an A!

And I'd say a lack of revision to be honest, I had English Lit the day before and got full UMS in the exam so you can see where I focussed my efforts :tongue:
I honestly have no real advice other than know your case studies and fieldwork stuff inside out! I actually spent the first two terms messing around, hiding pencil cases and whatnot, I was incredibly shocked to get an A!

And I'd say a lack of revision to be honest, I had English Lit the day before and got full UMS in the exam so you can see where I focussed my efforts :tongue:

What sort of stuff in regard to fieldwork? My unit 1 teacher has literally NOT taught us at all. sucks big time.(my unit 2 teacher is actually having a panic revision class for unit 1 for us...so that goes to show you how bad it is).. Just wondering if you used the CCEA textbooks or did your teacher produce their own notes or what? To me it seems like the textbook for unit 1 just isnt good enough- but neither is my teachers notes! :mad::s-smilie:

Ah wow congrats on the English result-was that with CCEA also? Im doing CCEA at the end of June and thats another exam I'm worried about:mad:
What sort of stuff in regard to fieldwork? My unit 1 teacher has literally NOT taught us at all. sucks big time.(my unit 2 teacher is actually having a panic revision class for unit 1 for us...so that goes to show you how bad it is).. Just wondering if you used the CCEA textbooks or did your teacher produce their own notes or what? To me it seems like the textbook for unit 1 just isnt good enough- but neither is my teachers notes! :mad::s-smilie:

Ah wow congrats on the English result-was that with CCEA also? Im doing CCEA at the end of June and thats another exam I'm worried about:mad:

Notes wise, honestly, the textbook was what I used. One of my teachers was an okay teacher (but he got really moody over tiny things), and his notes were okay, the other one used slideshows which he never said to copy down, then when you realised that you needed to, he'd already changed it (they were rubbish anyway).
Our class didn't even get to do the fieldwork, it was really snowy and we travelled for 2 hours in a mini bus, only to be around 5 miles away from the fieldwork centre to be told we couldn't go any further and to return back to school :mad:. So our teacher had to cram in stuff about it (from my memory, we did about Magilligan, and in the exam we had to know about the tools we used, and to work out Spearman's Rank with the data sheet (this could be different for you if you did a different case study, I know there was a maths option which was working out the range, mean, median etc and another one which I completely forget the name of!). It should say in the Spec what exactly you need to know, though.

And yep, my English Lit exam was with CCEA! You'll be fine if you know your quotes and context (I did 'The Great Gatsby' and Frost and Thomas).
Notes wise, honestly, the textbook was what I used. One of my teachers was an okay teacher (but he got really moody over tiny things), and his notes were okay, the other one used slideshows which he never said to copy down, then when you realised that you needed to, he'd already changed it (they were rubbish anyway).
Our class didn't even get to do the fieldwork, it was really snowy and we travelled for 2 hours in a mini bus, only to be around 5 miles away from the fieldwork centre to be told we couldn't go any further and to return back to school :mad:. So our teacher had to cram in stuff about it (from my memory, we did about Magilligan, and in the exam we had to know about the tools we used, and to work out Spearman's Rank with the data sheet (this could be different for you if you did a different case study, I know there was a maths option which was working out the range, mean, median etc and another one which I completely forget the name of!). It should say in the Spec what exactly you need to know, though.

And yep, my English Lit exam was with CCEA! You'll be fine if you know your quotes and context (I did 'The Great Gatsby' and Frost and Thomas).

Yay thats good to hear that I can hopefully rely on the textbook then for notes which is what i have been doing:smile::smile: yep we have to do spearmans rank which i have no bother with,its just we were never told the names of the tools we used, madness. It was a river study /=...

Poetry i'm fine with,but Gatsby is a bit ugly. What advice would you give about the contexts?:/ and revision in regards to the themes that could be asked? I get about 47/60 in every essay/mock but id love to bring this up again to an A since I'm sitting on a highish B when you add in my poetry marks
Yay thats good to hear that I can hopefully rely on the textbook then for notes which is what i have been doing:smile::smile: yep we have to do spearmans rank which i have no bother with,its just we were never told the names of the tools we used, madness. It was a river study /=...

Poetry i'm fine with,but Gatsby is a bit ugly. What advice would you give about the contexts?:/ and revision in regards to the themes that could be asked? I get about 47/60 in every essay/mock but id love to bring this up again to an A since I'm sitting on a highish B when you add in my poetry marks

You could always email your teacher regarding the tools etc, it would be better knowing something than nothing :smile:

Gatsby was the bane of my life last year. I was so bad at it, in 1 essay my mark was "3-30/60". Obviously she didn't want to dishearten me, but yeah, I was awful at it. My highest mark was 47 before the exam, and I thought that was incredible! I sat down the day before the exam, I read the entire novel again and wikipedia was my best friend; that's the only way I got the A.
From what I can remember, we covered themes like the American Dream, Frontiersmen, Symbolism/Realism (all the genres really) etc, I think your best bet is to look what the Agenda for Study says and focus your notes around what it has on it.
Context wise, I looked at Fitzgerald's life, Zelda, how him and Zelda can be compared and contrasted to Gatsby and Daisy, new money and old money (and Fitzgerald's embarrassment over his family's money situation when at University etc). Again, the Agenda for Study will really help you out with what to do research on :smile: (this research doesn't need to be too detailed either; wikipedia is good enough!).
Just make sure you've got a good argument, it's well structured (4/5/6 points) with a good direction, and integrate quotes and context in along the way, making sure to really drain every quote language and tone wise! Make sure you mention structure too :smile:

Here's the Agenda for Study if you don't have access to it already: http://www.ccea.org.uk/english_literature/ (it's under GCE, Support Materials, AS2) :smile:
You could always email your teacher regarding the tools etc, it would be better knowing something than nothing :smile:

Gatsby was the bane of my life last year. I was so bad at it, in 1 essay my mark was "3-30/60". Obviously she didn't want to dishearten me, but yeah, I was awful at it. My highest mark was 47 before the exam, and I thought that was incredible! I sat down the day before the exam, I read the entire novel again and wikipedia was my best friend; that's the only way I got the A.
From what I can remember, we covered themes like the American Dream, Frontiersmen, Symbolism/Realism (all the genres really) etc, I think your best bet is to look what the Agenda for Study says and focus your notes around what it has on it.
Context wise, I looked at Fitzgerald's life, Zelda, how him and Zelda can be compared and contrasted to Gatsby and Daisy, new money and old money (and Fitzgerald's embarrassment over his family's money situation when at University etc). Again, the Agenda for Study will really help you out with what to do research on :smile: (this research doesn't need to be too detailed either; wikipedia is good enough!).
Just make sure you've got a good argument, it's well structured (4/5/6 points) with a good direction, and integrate quotes and context in along the way, making sure to really drain every quote language and tone wise! Make sure you mention structure too :smile:

Here's the Agenda for Study if you don't have access to it already: http://www.ccea.org.uk/english_literature/ (it's under GCE, Support Materials, AS2) :smile:

Thanks so much! this really helped! i feel more encouraged now.. My teacher is very very VERY harsh with her marking also=/..I've looked at american dream,corruption of 1920s society etc etc, did you learn definitons? my teacher pushes us to define for example "corruption" at the start of our essay, but its hard to know so many definitions when its a guessing game on what could come up!:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest