The Student Room Group

Preparing for gcse's and year 10?

Hello all! :biggrin:

I've just finished year nine, and this might sound a bit weir and sad but I'm looking forward to starting my courses for year ten and all the new content and stuff I'm taking:

English & English lit
Maths
Triple science (already done b1 biology exam - aqa)
History
Spanish
I.C.T
P.E
Philosophy & Ethics- (Already started and I think finished the philosophy course)

So, any idea how I can prerpare and hopefully get the best results?

Thank you all, good luck for your results and have a great summer :smile:
wow... TSR in year 9... it's a bit early!
Reply 2
No need to prepare. If you're of slightly above average ability, pay some attention in class and do your homework you will come out with A and A*s.
If you want good results at GCSE, there's honestly no need to prepare at the end of year 9
Be organised and focused on your work, and make sure to revise for all the tests and exams that you'll have. If I'm honest, there wasn't a huge difference between 9 and 10 for me apart from the exams and controlled assessments that counted. And if you ever need any help, everyone on TSR is here! But you'll be fine. Relax over summer, switch off from school, and have a good time. Worry about Year 10 when you're there as there's not really any prepratation you can do apart from the organisation side, e.g. getting equipment etc. :smile:
Reply 5
Totally switch off this summer, it'll probably be the last one for a while where you don't have any results to worry about. Relax and enjoy it.

Also don't be swayed by the people on here who say you don't need to do much/any revision when it comes to crunch time. Do what's right for you and the amount that you feel you need to.
Reply 6
Hahha thanks all but I didn't necessarily mean preparing over summer, just for year ten and onwards when It comes :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I finished year 11 two months ago so I can tell you my mistakes but don't worry about GCSE's this summer, have fun! Pay attention in class for the next year and a half, try and have best attendance possible, stay motivated, prepare for any controlled assesments, do as much preperation as you can for exams and work hard but play hard too, don't forget to have fun every once in a while and good luck :smile:
Reply 8
there really is nothing to prepare for at this stage, don't worry about it all just yet :wink:
Reply 9
english - read of mice and men
Reply 10
Original post by 123maz
english - read of mice and men

And every other book you'll be studying, you really won't want to have to during term time, particularly if you have controlled assesments.

Generally I would say read around your subjects, it can make it more interesting and will really improve your understanding and I find that it helps me remember information without revising.
Also, next year, be really careful that you have ALL the notes you should. In year 9 and below, if you miss a lesson you're supposed to catch up, but it's no big deal if you don't. If you don't catch up a GCSE lesson, you may not have vital knowledge that you'll be examined on in year 11.
English Language *
English Literature *
Mathematics *
Biology +
Chemistry +
Physics +
RE @
Welsh *
Media *
History *
Photography =
Art =
Geography *
French *
Business Studies *
Welsh Baccalaureate Intermediate Level *

* WJEC
+ OCR
@AQA
= Edexcel

That's a list of everything I'm doing or have done... So if you have any questions regarding them, don't hesitate to ask :biggrin:

( I'm in year ten, going into year 11)
what do you mean there is no need to prepare at the end of year 9?????

Spoiler

LOL NERD DONT START GOING ON TSR YET, THEY WILL RUIN YOU

Other than that the only thing I can advise to you that works is to read ahead on stuff, when I was in year 10 I read my entire physics textbook and ever since then classes became easy and I got consistent 90% in every exam. It's not because you know the material that it helps, but because you learn to learn independently and you understand things far better that way.

BUT NOTE I DID NOT GO ON TSR AND I WAS NOT EXCITED ABOUT MY COURSES AND I WAS NOT A NERD, AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU BE ONE! GO HANG OUT IN THE PARK!
Original post by rosesalite23

Spoiler

It's just sad reading this as a year 13, I know of people spending so much time working hard, it's a painful experience and it makes you want to cherish when you are younger and have more free time.

Seriously ... don't go on TSR boasting about what subjects you're doing, people on this website make me amazed with how long they can go on and on about their ACADEMICS... I also go to a very hard-working school and anything most people talk about, from year 7 to leaving age, is ENDLESSLY SCHOOLWORK AND SCHOOLWORK... don't completely ruin yourself with revision ... when you have a lot of free time please spend it wisely. Have a hobby, hang out with friends, get a girlfriend, do stuff...

Don't be stressed about year 10 (its very unwise) it's nothing hard. Just make sure you stay on top of your game. Don't slack through the whole year, make sure you work at an A* standard and bang out full marks in end of topic tests and so on ... but outside the classroom ... just enjoy your life dude/dudette.
Thanks for putting this comment on, i'm in the same situation so this helps me calm my nerves for the new year that starts in 16 days.

Quick Reply

Latest