The Student Room Group

Giving family members (or friends for that matter) jobs... is it right?

I know an employer in the NHS who employed their son for a job creating a shift that fitted in with his lifestyle.

The position was not advertised and so he got the job because he was the son of the manager. This is at a time of increasing unemployment.

Is it fair? Is it legal? If so, should it be legal?

It goes against the principle of employing 'the best man/woman for the job'.
Reply 1
i wouldnt have had a job if it werent for freinds and family. in a perfect world its not right but it isnt.

its not what you know its who you know.
Reply 2
Nepotism in the NHS is disgusting. It's not so awful in the private sector.
Reply 3
Nepotism/patronage is a bit ridiculous, but think from the employer's point of view.
in public sector it is right.

You only need to look at the government and the ministers - a rediculously high percentage of MPs employ at least one family member/close friend.
Obviously, in this case it wasn't right. If you're talking about plain nepotism, where someone is employed because of who they know and not what they can do, that shouldn't be allowed. But in some cases, a person's friend/family member can actually be the best person for the job, and that shouldn't be ruled out.
Reply 6
its wrong that the job was not advertised and that the shift was worked around their lifestyle but then we don't know if he had children to support on his own now do we

i personally feel that it is wrong for someone to get a job more by who they know not what they know that should be reserved for the private family run businesses

but then again being offered a job on a plate is bad in my books as it does not promote the sense of responsibility of finding and keeping a job amoungst peers i honestly think that this is another form of putting a silver spoon in someones mouth lol
Is there anything in the law prohibiting it in any way? I remember hearing about advertisements advertising a job in Polish had to change it to make it be published in English as well so it didn't exclude potential applicants if that's illegal then how can not even advertising the job be legal? (although I suspect it is).
wolveswitch
its wrong that the job was not advertised and that the shift was worked around their lifestyle but then we don't know if he had children to support on his own now do we

Sorry, I should have been more clear - he is a student - the shift is on days he has no lectures on. He certainly has no children.
Reply 9
At my work, the manager gave her daughter's partner a job then gave her daughter a job but made her fill out an application so it looked genuin. Then a while later, gave her nephew a job when there were no jobs going! and gave him a riddiculous amount of hours! Then recently gave their other daughters partner a job, again there where no jobs going. Everyone's hours got cut to create this job..AND, she only has the job because she is family and because she needs a bit of money to go travelling!! No jobs have been advertised! And, she is only going to be in the job a few weeks. I think this is disgusting! There are plenty of people who need more hours at work and yet she keeps giving her family jobs and creating jobs that are not even available! :mad:
Reply 10
You should if you want
Original post by 1721
i wouldnt have had a job if it werent for freinds and family. in a perfect world its not right but it isnt.

its not what you know its who you know.

This. I don't think it should be completely ruled out. I was job hunting for quite a while, going from one part time job to another being quite unsuccesfull with the job hunting. My dad gave me a job in the company he works for and it gave me the opportunity to have a more regular job and to have a job that is actually better. I'm still here, I've learnt a lot and now have a lot of experience.

So I think it has it's merits.
Reply 12
Original post by CrazyDancingElf
Is there anything in the law prohibiting it in any way? I remember hearing about advertisements advertising a job in Polish had to change it to make it be published in English as well so it didn't exclude potential applicants if that's illegal then how can not even advertising the job be legal? (although I suspect it is).

All jobs must be advertised, even if it's only on the company website for a few days. I remember a teacher telling me it was illegal not to, even if they were intending to give it to an internal candidate.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Reply 13
In low skilled jobs that pretty much anyone can do it can be better because the best person is just a reliable one so if you know the person you know how reliable they are.

it seems a bit iffy to do with skilled jobs because what if they then turn out to be crap.
If you're the owner of your company then I think it's perfectly fine. If you want to potentially damage your business by hiring someone who isn't the #1 candidate, then that's your choice.

If however, in this case, you're recruiting on behalf of someone else, than definitely not.
I found this topic quite interesting..I believe a job passed down to you through family tradition is a nice gesture especially if it was a legacy of proudness and success. The trust is there for a next generation to prosper and add their own mark on the company. But if its just to cut corners and just be given any old position in a company out of convenience then I think its damaging. A resentment can build and a grudge could form, that it was possibly out of guilt that they took the job out of a favour of support..quitting or struggling in the role might not be an option if you have high esteem for the family member who got you the job. Equally have an interview and be vetted for the job and have someone interview that has no link to you. Professional and uncomplicated if the family member doesn't get involved in the decision process.

http://www.lawcrossing.com/article/2547/The-Dangers-of-Getting-Jobs-Through-and-Working-With-Friends-and-Family/#

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending