The Student Room Group

I want to drop out already?

I've been at uni for a week now, been to the induction sessions and I don't think my course is for me, I am so miserable here. I want to drop out of uni and reapply somewhere else next year, will this affect my student finance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Keep going for a little longer, a week really isn't enough to determine whether it is right for you. Keep an open mind and try to get involved with activities that interest you e.g sport.

See how you feel in another couple of weeks, and if you're still thinking the same then, talk to a tutor.
Reply 2
Would you not rather just change courses?

The best thing to do to settle in is usually to make friends - are you in halls or living at home? Either way, try to chat to people on your course, join a society or two.
Reply 3
I am living in a house with two third years, who aren't very friendly which is probably helping to make me hate it more! I don't like the town I am in, and want to leave, get some work experience and apply to Falmouth next year for a completely different degree. I'm worried how it might affect my student finance in the future. Sorry to be so whiney!
Original post by disasterfrog
I am living in a house with two third years, who aren't very friendly which is probably helping to make me hate it more! I don't like the town I am in, and want to leave, get some work experience and apply to Falmouth next year for a completely different degree. I'm worried how it might affect my student finance in the future. Sorry to be so whiney!

You'll still get finance for your new degree.

If you want to change, now is a good time, trust me. Don't delay.
Reply 5
Do you think I should attempt to transfer now, or wait a year?

And thank you for all your advice guys!
I'd say (from personal experience) that this is the best time to transfer course if you want to.
Reply 7
Original post by cognito_08
I'd say (from personal experience) that this is the best time to transfer course if you want to.

Sorry to be a chump, could you tell me how you went about this? Just contact my uni and then the other uni I want to go to?
At least give it a month.

A lot of people don't feel at home right away - I didn't - but it will probably get better.
The first week is not very representative of university, try and give it at least a month.
Do you think I should attempt to transfer now, or wait a year?

And thank you for all your advice guys!

If you have the course at your own uni, they should be happy to let you change, so long as the course you're trying to get onto isn't something like medicine.

You should speak to someone at your school and the school you want to transfer to regarding the change.

If you want to transfer to a different university, they are unlikely to take you on unless you reapply through ucas. You should still try to contact the other university, but it'll probably confirm what I've said. Depends on the institution though and how prestigious it is. Good luck xx
Reply 11
what uni are you currently at?
Original post by DaveSmith99
The first week is not very representative of university, try and give it at least a month.

The experience will get better once the real lectures start and you start seeing the people in the seminars. You will find friends, but I know that the process is hard. I agree with Dave give it a month and you will most likely feel better about the situation.
Sorry to be a chump, could you tell me how you went about this? Just contact my uni and then the other uni I want to go to?

Yeah I'd talk to your tutor at your current uni and while doing that contact the admissions at the university you want to transfer to, to find out all of the procedures.

I do agree with others that 1 weeks is not representative of the whole uni experience so you may want to give it a while.

I'd recommend just finding out what your options are AND what the timescales look like.
Loads of people hate their course at first! My sister did and after a short while she absolutely loved it. Don't go doing anything rash that you may regret.
If you speak to your university they should be able to help arrange a course transfer as it's still early in the semester. Also may be worth speaking to advisors in your Student Union as they are independent from the university.

I dropped out in November last year, and had no issues this time with student finance. I had to pay a small portion of my grant back, for the December period, but that is it.
Original post by AntoniaRose
If you speak to your university they should be able to help arrange a course transfer as it's still early in the semester. Also may be worth speaking to advisors in your Student Union as they are independent from the university.

I dropped out in November last year, and had no issues this time with student finance. I had to pay a small portion of my grant back, for the December period, but that is it.

did you not pay back accommodation and course fees? i really want to go back to cambridge and study at anglia ruskin next september...being in derby isnt for me in the slightest :/
Reply 17
Hey man you should transfer to falmouth now dont delay .. they will take you .. what uni are you at now?
Reply 18
I think you should give it more of a chance- I really wasn't happy at uni for the entire first TERM but I forced myself to go back after Christmas and it was tough (I totally cried like a baby when my dad dropped me off) but I got into the swing of things, completed first year and am now itching to get back for second year!
Reply 19
CLUB I!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending