The Student Room Group

At uni...how do I wash clothes

I know I should probably be asking my flatmates but I'm so embarrassed. How do you wash clothes?? I know you split them into colours and whites and then stick it on 40? or medium or cold?

I also have colour catchers...how do I use them? With the coloured clothes? Also, is cream okay to go with whites? cheers.

Scroll to see replies

You could have Googled it, to be honest. Would have saved your embarrassment.
Reply 2
I just put all colours together on 30 degrees, never had a problem with colours running. 60 degrees for bedding and towels.
Arrange the clothes into white's and darks. Cream should be fine with whites.
Put on at 40 degrees on medium not cold. If doing towels or bed sheets then 60 degrees.
Reply 4
I just put it all in at 40 degrees & I don't think my colours run although if you're one of these people that likes theiw Whites really white it would be better to separate the clothes.

Who did your washing for you at home?
Reply 5
Thanks guys! When do I use the colour catcher? Do I just stick it in when i put all the colours in? Really appreciate the responses.
Reply 6
Faith in our generation officially lost. Have you never even watched your parents or relatives do this? Did you not ask before you left for uni? I'm sorry to be a bit mean, but I'm so frustrated to keep seeing 18+ year olds moving to uni with absolutely no idea how to support themselves. Split into Darks and lights. Have a colors pile in between whites and darks if you're worried. (i.e, I wouldn't put a blue shirt with whites, but I also wouldn't put it with red or black). Wash on 30 with fabric conditioner. It's better for the environment and fabric conditioner is cheap.

Edit: I'm amused that I got neg rep for this. Assuming it's from people who are in the same boat as the OP and didn't appreciate my frustration, despite the comprehensive help included in my response?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sabriella
Faith in our generation officially lost. Have you never even watched your parents or relatives do this? Did you not ask before you left for uni? I'm sorry to be a bit mean, but I'm so frustrated to keep seeing 18+ year olds moving to uni with absolutely no idea how to support themselves. Split into Darks and lights. Have a colors pile in between whites and darks if you're worried. (i.e, I wouldn't put a blue shirt with whites, but I also wouldn't put it with red or black). Wash on 30 with fabric conditioner. It's better for the environment and fabric conditioner is cheap.

Some people are absolutely useless. They may be able to do biochemistry or some other ****e, but they probably can't iron a shirt or cook a meal.
Reply 9
Original post by Harry Callahan
Some people are absolutely useless. They may be able to do biochemistry or some other ****e, but they probably can't iron a shirt or cook a meal.

It's soul destroying to see. I know people who can't even turn an oven on or cook a piece of toast without help. WHY.
Reply 10
Don't mix colours and whites, put powder/tab in the machine or appropriate slot, set to medium/low temperature. Go.
Reply 11
Put clothes in washing machine. Put powder/tablets in. Turn to setting that sounds reasonable. Press go.

I've never bothered worrying about what colour things are, and so far I haven't ended up with an pink T-shirts.
It's soul destroying to see. I know people who can't even turn an oven on or cook a piece of toast without help. WHY.

Ridiculous it is.
Wow, everyone's rather nasty here.
Original post by JamesYoung
I know I should probably be asking my flatmates but I'm so embarrassed. How do you wash clothes?? I know you split them into colours and whites and then stick it on 40? or medium or cold?

I also have colour catchers...how do I use them? With the coloured clothes? Also, is cream okay to go with whites? cheers.

Remember fabric softener is not the same thing as washing detergent :colondollar:

I was wondering why my clothes smelt and also why the washing detergent was so cheap... :colondollar:
i've never seperated my whites and colours etc. mainly cos in first year i had to pay to use the washing machine like £2 ago and i was cheap enough to take a punt on my colours running worked out fine. must have saved like £10 over hte course of the year :wink:
Original post by derangedyoshi

Nasty? :laugh:

Pity some people are rather thick. It's basic common sense to know how to work a washing machine. Surely the OP must have seen parents or other people doing it? They must have some idea. It's not rocket science, is it?

Soul destroying? Overreaction?
Reply 18
Thanks for the helpful replies. I can cook, iron and handle finance you know...all I did was ask. Anyway, washing machines at my uni are completely different to the one at home..at home I can select a temperature, here I can't.
Original post by derangedyoshi

Quite.

Latest

Trending

Trending