The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

If you see two or more overly-excited girls possibly wearing black lycra with blue and yellow stripes screaming off hammersmith bridge with a sheet saying "RUMS= HORRs" (terrible joke yes, it wasn't my idea) then one of them is very very likely to be me :p:
Jessaay!
If you see two or more overly-excited girls possibly wearing black lycra with blue and yellow stripes screaming off hammersmith bridge with a sheet saying "RUMS= HORRs" (terrible joke yes, it wasn't my idea) then one of them is very very likely to be me :p:

The battle to get the best spectating spot at Hammersmith Bridge (2nd lampost from the left) is almost as good as the race itself. Cheer for our crews too!
partoftheweekend
The battle to get the best spectating spot at Hammersmith Bridge (2nd lampost from the left) is almost as good as the race itself. Cheer for our crews too!

I cheered for a lot of crews! Most London ones. I've now lost my voice. At one point I was screaming for individual people if they looked tired (I got bored between shouting for our men's first boat and our novice boat) and I screamed a lot for the people with the polka dot lycra and blades, they were my favourites (apart from my own teams of course, who got many huge "COME ON RUMS")
Reply 203
Well, from the look of the photos one of the HORR guys put on facebook the whole first team now has all-in-ones. Now I know for a fact that several of them were not told about the initial kit order a while ago (not just unisuits but splash-tops, tracksuit bottoms, etc), which suggests that they had a separate kit order just for them which again none of us in the second team were told about. And they ******* wonder why they have a low number of novices carrying on in the second year.
Reply 204
Someone started shouting "GO ON JAMAICA" after a boat with green/yellow/black blades passed the bridge, and then started singing "Jamaica we have a rowing teaaam" and it was ace, haha.

On a less funny note, our first boat messed up the boatloading, forgot one footplate and they still rowed, by stealing one of the 2nd VIII footplates, meaning the second eight didn't row. I find it really unfair and the guys' coaches are all dicks so no-one did nothing against it…
Anatheme
Someone started shouting "GO ON JAMAICA" after a boat with green/yellow/black blades passed the bridge, and then started singing "Jamaica we have a rowing teaaam" and it was ace, haha.

On a less funny note, our first boat messed up the boatloading, forgot one footplate and they still rowed, by stealing one of the 2nd VIII footplates, meaning the second eight didn't row. I find it really unfair and the guys' coaches are all dicks so no-one did nothing against it…

My coach would tell the 1st boat to piss off if they forgot their own footplates. Couldn't they have borrowed one of one of the tideway clubs?
Mithra
Well, from the look of the photos one of the HORR guys put on facebook the whole first team now has all-in-ones. Now I know for a fact that several of them were not told about the initial kit order a while ago (not just unisuits but splash-tops, tracksuit bottoms, etc), which suggests that they had a separate kit order just for them which again none of us in the second team were told about. And they ******* wonder why they have a low number of novices carrying on in the second year.

I saw a lot of Durham boats, it never failed to crack people up when there was an enthusiastic "GO OON DIRHAM" shout for some reason.
Reply 207
Jessaay!
I saw a lot of Durham boats, it never failed to crack people up when there was an enthusiastic "GO OON DIRHAM" shout for some reason.

Dirham eh? :beard:

There were three durham uni boats and then at least one from almost every college if not two :p:. Only one from ours though :nothing:. I think the 'high-performance' colleges get to enter two, which the ones who are are very secretive about how you become 'high-performance'. Hild Bede probably should be as we win a lot of things in regatta season so who knows :dontknow:.

People laughed? :sad:
Mithra
Dirham eh? :beard:

There were three durham uni boats and then at least one from almost every college if not two :p:. Only one from ours though :nothing:. I think the 'high-performance' colleges get to enter two, which the ones who are are very secretive about how you become 'high-performance'. Hild Bede probably should be as we win a lot of things in regatta season so who knows :dontknow:.

People laughed? :sad:

they laughed because of the accent of the person shouting, hence Dirham :p:
Reply 209
Jessaay!
they laughed because of the accent of the person shouting, hence Dirham :p:

I suspected that may have been the case :p:. If you met most of our rowers it wouldn't do much for Durham's stereotype either :shifty:.
Mithra
I suspected that may have been the case :p:. If you met most of our rowers it wouldn't do much for Durham's stereotype either :shifty:.

Bad times :frown: Stereotypes as in posh/rahs?
I don't think there's a UCL stereotype, but I'm sure if there was the people in our teams would match it to a tee.
Jessaay!
Bad times :frown: Stereotypes as in posh/rahs?
I don't think there's a UCL stereotype, but I'm sure if there was the people in our teams would match it to a tee.

Did anything happen to UCLs first boat? I though they should've be pushing top 100. Had a good boat at Henley last year.
partoftheweekend
Did anything happen to UCLs first boat? I though they should've be pushing top 100. Had a good boat at Henley last year.

I'm not sure about UCL itself, they looked to be doing very well thoguh but I don't know many of their team members, mostly just the seconds who got 19 mins 50 or something like that. I'm part of the UCL medical school boat club who didn't do all that well :frown:
Reply 213
Wow, one of my friends from school came 88th with Cambridge 99's. Good on him :awesome:.

I haven't spoken to him since last year and he doesn't know I row. I'm guessing telling him off for beating Hild Bede would probably be a tad weird :beard:.
Imperial college did amazingly... I didn't realise they were so hardcore.

I dislike Molesey though, one of their women's teams were trying to overtake us in the Kingston head but we managed to hold them up.
Jessaay!
Imperial college did amazingly... I didn't realise they were so hardcore.

I dislike Molesey though, one of their women's teams were trying to overtake us in the Kingston head but we managed to hold them up.

They give out rowing scholarships at IC so they should be doing pretty well. Got a really nice club down and im jealous of how close their uni is to the boathouse :frown:
partoftheweekend
They give out rowing scholarships at IC so they should be doing pretty well. Got a really nice club down and im jealous of how close their uni is to the boathouse :frown:

OH yes now I remember. Yeah I completely agree, I hate them for the fact they can row with such ease. It'd save so much time and money and we could have such longer outings.
Reply 217
Jessaay!
OH yes now I remember. Yeah I completely agree, I hate them for the fact they can row with such ease. It'd save so much time and money and we could have such longer outings.

Some people even live over the boathouse so its even easier for them :p:. Imperial have Olympic standard coaches and stuff, its silly xD.
Mithra
Some people even live over the boathouse so its even easier for them :p:. Imperial have Olympic standard coaches and stuff, its silly xD.

Oh that's just not fair :frown:

On another note, though, my friend in our novice team was apparently mashalled by Matthew Pinsent in HoRR.
Reply 219
Jessaay!
Oh that's just not fair :frown:

On another note, though, my friend in our novice team was apparently mashalled by Matthew Pinsent in HoRR.

Nice :p:.

If I were cox I would have been so tempted to shout "don't listen to him, what does he know?" though.

Quick Reply

Latest