The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AishaTara
Kings and Bham are the main two I want to go too :'(
5 I'd like as a minimum yes.

Oh right well if you have a good UKCAT then Kings may be accessible with 5

Birmingham however isn't an option with 5 as they require a minimum of 8 A*s :frown:
Original post by whitemagesonia
Awww! Thanks:smile: I'm still a bit worried though since there have only been like 4-5 successful med applicants in the last 4 years at my (future:biggrin:) sixth form. Plus, she looked like she knew what she was on about, and i kind of tend to believe people.

i know how you feel, I tend to believe people easily too, but try not to let her get to you! If you want anyone to motivate you, you've got me here :biggrin:
don't give up yet! even if you have to gap year!
Reply 22
Original post by oli_G
Anyone got History tomorrow? I'm ****ting myself D:

Yeah me, OCR paper 2?

Medicine through time?
Reply 23
Awww! Thanks:smile: I'm still a bit worried though since there have only been like 4-5 successful med applicants in the last 4 years at my (future:biggrin:) sixth form. Plus, she looked like she knew what she was on about, and i kind of tend to believe people.

Don't let other peoples opinions get in your way. Take on their opinion but don't make life changing choices based on it. Did she say you might not have the grades for medicine? If you've still got exams to sit, go out and prove her wrong.

Challenges aren't there to stop you from achieving, they're there to make you prove how much you want something.
Reply 24

Don't listen to careers people at school. They all seem to hate people wanting to do medicine as they are being ambitious. I believe that you can do what you want if you put your mind to it. Don't let some middle-aged teacher put you down.
Count me in the gang too! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard

Count me in the gang too! :biggrin:

Welcome :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by fletchdd02

Yeah me, OCR paper 2?

Medicine through time?

Nah, AQA B. Hitler's Germany, Weimar Republic and The USSR.

I'm on for an A* but just need to ace this exam to secure it :smile: You?
Hey :smile: Yes, I am thinking of medicine. Just taken my gcses, I'm also considering finance/economics and law as well :biggrin:
Original post by oli_G
Anyone got History tomorrow? I'm ****ting myself D:

I have the AQA exam tomorrow, and I rrrreally hope they go easy on us.

Regarding work experience, I have two weeks at an ophthalmologist department in a hospital booked, and I'll hopefully get something in the October half term too.
Original post by oli_G
Don't listen to careers people at school. They all seem to hate people wanting to do medicine as they are being ambitious. I believe that you can do what you want if you put your mind to it. Don't let some middle-aged teacher put you down.

That's so true. My head of 6th form told me to ditch biology as one of my A-level choices (because apparently most unis dont mind if you dont have it) and take physics with chemistry instead :s-smilie: ... i mean that would have seriously limited my choices.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31

That's so true. My head of 6th form told me to ditch biology as one of my A-level subjects (because apparently most unis dont mind if you dont have it) and take physics with chemistry instead :s-smilie: ... i mean that would have seriously limited my choices.

Proves they're ill informed. My options were crap for medicine but luckily I looked on here and other places and have changed them now =] Do biology, you'll limit yourself if you don't do it at least to AS
Ooo, this is a really good idea. How's everyone approaching work experience?
well, i love any aspect of science and am intrigued by the workings of modern medicine. Although I spoke to the head of admissions during my interview for Sixth Form in which she asked me about this 'passion' I'd written about on my application. She was very discouraging, even saying that she didn't mean to 'pour cold water on my dreams', but that what I said would be 'insufficient' to get into med school.

So now, I'm just questioning whether I'm capable or not...:frown:

teachers can be awful pessimistic and bitchy! aren't they supposed to support us in our dreams and help us achieve them...maybe she wanted to be a doctor but couldn't and is jealous, you know what they say.......those who can't do, teach :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Neon Nickers

Original post by Neon Nickers
Ooo, this is a really good idea. How's everyone approaching work experience?

becoming a volunteer at my local hospital. from there I should (hopefully) get some time for shadowing consultants etc. have done a week at GPs. You?
Oh right well if you have a good UKCAT then Kings may be accessible with 5

Birmingham however isn't an option with 5 as they require a minimum of 8 A*s :frown:

Yeh im gutted cus I was predicted straight A* but I didnt put the effort in until easter :/ theres a chance I'll get around 7 -9 if i'm reallllly lucky tbh.
Reply 36
Original post by dandelionseason

Original post by dandelionseason
I have the AQA exam tomorrow, and I rrrreally hope they go easy on us.

Regarding work experience, I have two weeks at an ophthalmologist department in a hospital booked, and I'll hopefully get something in the October half term too.

Ikr, what sections are you doing (i'm doing weimar, hitler and stalin) :]

Hopefully It'll be OK though
Original post by Delaney
Don't let other peoples opinions get in your way. Take on their opinion but don't make life changing choices based on it. Did she say you might not have the grades for medicine? If you've still got exams to sit, go out and prove her wrong.

Challenges aren't there to stop you from achieving, they're there to make you prove how much you want something.

Wise words:smile: You know, I think I might just post that up on my motivation board next to my bed...
She said I was 'capable' when she saw I'd achieved a*'s in the three sciences, but I did also get 2 b's last year:frown: But I'v been putting more effort into those subjects this year so hopefully i'll get good grades in those:colondollar:

Three more exams for me. Good luck to you for results day:smile:
Original post by oli_G
Proves they're ill informed. My options were crap for medicine but luckily I looked on here and other places and have changed them now =] Do biology, you'll limit yourself if you don't do it at least to AS

Yes i'm sticking with biology - i love biology :biggrin:
Reply 39

Yes i'm sticking with biology - i love biology :biggrin:

Ikr, it's the best :biggrin:

Latest