The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Is an offer for Biomedical Science Possible?

I have a friend who wants to apply to Aston to study Biomedical Science and she achieved an A in Punjabi, a C in Maths and a D in Chemistry and Biology and an E in Physics for AS. She's dropped Physics and she's going to resit two modules in Maths and one in both Chemistry and Biology. Her predicted grades are A*BBC I think or A*BCC. Do you think that Aston would give her an offer? The entry requirements are ABB for Biomedical Science.
Reply 1
Original post by Sem193
I have a friend who wants to apply to Aston to study Biomedical Science and she achieved an A in Punjabi, a C in Maths and a D in Chemistry and Biology and an E in Physics for AS. She's dropped Physics and she's going to resit two modules in Maths and one in both Chemistry and Biology. Her predicted grades are A*BBC I think or A*BCC. Do you think that Aston would give her an offer? The entry requirements are ABB for Biomedical Science.

okay, did she get D in both chemistry and biology? if so then what is her predicted for biology, if she is predicted like CC at bio and chem than thats a disadvantage because Aston would want atleast a B in biology, cant she raise her predicted grade?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Sem193

Is Punjabi a language she speaks since she was young because if it is then the A is worth nothing
Reply 3
Original post by littleangel9914
Is Punjabi a language she speaks since she was young because if it is then the A is worth nothing

Yep. She has spoken Punjabi since she was a child. I know this is off topic, but I have another friend who is doing Polish and is Polish, and she may want to apply to the University of Birmingham to study languages. Will the grade achieved in her Polish A level be disregarded also?
Reply 4
Original post by ambrin ox
okay, did she get D in both chemistry and biology? if so then what is her predicted for biology, if she is predicted like CC at bio and chem than thats a disadvantage because Aston would want atleast a B in biology, cant she raise her predicted grade?

Yes, I think she got a D in both Chemistry and Biology and her predicted grades are ABCC. The two Cs are in Bio and Chemistry. Thanks. I have told her that she should just stick with her options and swap one for Aston.
Original post by Sem193
Yep. She has spoken Punjabi since she was a child. I know this is off topic, but I have another friend who is doing Polish and is Polish, and she may want to apply to the University of Birmingham to study languages. Will the grade achieved in her Polish A level be disregarded also?

Yes pretty much does she have any other languages that are foreign to her
Reply 6

Are you sure? Because I did a language where my parents are from, but I was born in another country, not here and did not know my parents language so learnt it and did a gcse and an a level and got B, my teachers told me that was good and i should mention it in my personal stat,emt
Reply 7

She wants to do Spanish and another language and she does study Spanish at A-Level.
Reply 8
Are you sure? Because I did a language where my parents are from, but I was born in another country, not here and did not know my parents language so learnt it and did a gcse and an a level and got B, my teachers told me that was good and i should mention it in my personal stat,emt

Maybe it's because you had to actually learn it and had no prior knowledge of the subject. Also, you were not born in the country where the language was spoken and my friends are . Both my friends are doing a language that it basically there first language. They speak it better than English and they speak it everyday with their parents. They didn't have to really study to achieve the A* at GSCE nor the A at A level. They probably have to read books at A2, but that's it. They will probably get an A* as well.

By the way, what is the language that you did? :smile:

But it's different you learnt the language for your GCSE but shes probably been speaking polish since a young age GCSE and A level languages are designed to test people who are kind of new to the language not people for who that language is there spoken tongue
I mean think about how easy your GCSE would have been if that language had been one of your spoken language Since you were young
Original post by Sem193
She wants to do Spanish and another language and she does study Spanish at A-Level.

That should be fine as long as she's not expecting polish to be counted in her offer
You might get away with it for a Uni lower down the league tables but I doubt Birmingham would except polish if it's her first language
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
That should be fine as long as she's not expecting polish to be counted in her offer
You might get away with it for a Uni lower down the league tables but I doubt Birmingham would except polish if it's her first language

Thank you so much. I must tell her now.
Original post by Sem193

Hey did you friend got an offer from Aston? I have firmed aston (pharmacy) for 2012.. I am an international student from India . Is your friend going to aston as well..?
Reply 13
Original post by sakshi.verma32
Hey did you friend got an offer from Aston? I have firmed aston (pharmacy) for 2012.. I am an international student from India . Is your friend going to aston as well..?

I don't even know if she applied to Aston. I know she got an offer from Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent and Coventry, but I don't know about the other two. She's going to Coventry because it's the nearest university to our city.

Quick Reply