The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich Medical School) Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by alice24
Hi everyone,
sorry to cut into the conversation about the open day, hope you all had a good day i was very jealous of you all.

Just wondering about the people like me that had a letter saying they're still considering my application. I dont understand what's going on/when we'll hear? Wondering whether anyone in the same situation has had an progress yet.

Thanks

Got the letter as well, no news after that. Guess we'll just have to wait until May!
Do you think the chances are likely to be chosen or not?
What did everyone think of the post offer open day?
Original post by omnomnom1234
What did everyone think of the post offer open day?

I really enjoyed it, loved everything about it! :biggrin:
And I got on really well with all the other offer holders there too :smile:
Reply 1663
Original post by bev4
Got the letter as well, no news after that. Guess we'll just have to wait until May!
Do you think the chances are likely to be chosen or not?

I have no idea!!! i was thinking maybe it's to do with funding if they can afford to send out more offers and therefore more places for next yr. I really hope it is not May i've waited since the 5th Jan already!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alice24
I have no idea!!! i was thinking maybe it's to do with funding if they can afford to send out more offers and therefore more places for next yr. I really hope it is not May i've waited since the 5th Jan already!!!

try waiting from 15th december :frown: aha im kinda just gunna treat it as a rejection, and see what happens! I really want to ring up, but i know ishouldnt aha
Original post by platty1907
I really enjoyed it, loved everything about it! :biggrin:
And I got on really well with all the other offer holders there too :smile:

Yeee same... I think lol
What letter group were you in? We may have known each other aha
Original post by omnomnom1234
Yeee same... I think lol
What letter group were you in? We may have known each other aha

I was in group D :biggrin:

Any other D's out there?!
Original post by platty1907
I was in group D :biggrin:

Any other D's out there?!

Ahh man I was in K haha
maybe we'll both know each other in the near future hopefully :biggrin:
Any other K's out there now you mention it :biggrin:
xxxx
Reply 1668
Have any graduates heard anything with regards to funding? They said they would e-mail me with any information they had, but I haven't received anything yett :frown:
Original post by sal91x
Have any graduates heard anything with regards to funding? They said they would e-mail me with any information they had, but I haven't received anything yett :frown:

As far as I'm aware, it'll be like this:

Years 1-4: no tuition fee loans, but eligible for maintenance loan (not grant)
Year 5: fees paid for by NHS, eligible for NHS bursary and reduced maintenance loan.

I actually rang NHS BSA a couple of weeks ago to try to clarify the situation with funding, but as usual was redirected back to Lansley's letter, which you can find a link to here:

http://www.bma.org.uk/careers/medical_education/student_finance/updateonstudentfinancefor2012.jsp#.T2H46swR04M

which does not actually refer specifically to grads on 5 year courses, so isn't that helpful! The NHS BSA guy said that is the only info they have at present, so basically they are also still waiting for the DoH to dish out some info about funding for graduates.

However I would assume that this means no major changes are going to take place, so my above assessment is probably correct.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 1670
Original post by feverdream
As far as I'm aware, it'll be like this:

Years 1-4: no tuition fee loans, but eligible for maintenance loan (not grant)
Year 5: fees paid for by NHS, eligible for NHS bursary and reduced maintenance loan.

I actually rang NHS BSA a couple of weeks ago to try to clarify the situation with funding, but as usual was redirected back to Lansley's letter, which you can find a link to here:

http://www.bma.org.uk/careers/medical_education/student_finance/updateonstudentfinancefor2012.jsp#.T2H46swR04M

which does not actually refer specifically to grads on 5 year courses, so isn't that helpful! The NHS BSA guy said that is the only info they have at present, so basically they are also still waiting for the DoH to dish out some info about funding for graduates.

However I would assume that this means no major changes are going to take place, so my above assessment is probably correct.

Hope that helps :smile:

Ahh thanks. Yeah, that's what I assumed.

I absolutely hate that DoH letter! Everyone keeps referring to it and I've even written to them saying they had completely forgotten about the other subset of medical students - but it seems unlikely that they'll make any generous changes as you say.

I was hoping that UEA itself might offer some sort of support because they don't have a graduate entry course and after going to the visit day, it seemed that there were quite a few graduate entrants in the previous years.

Wishful thinking..
Original post by sal91x
Ahh thanks. Yeah, that's what I assumed.

I absolutely hate that DoH letter! Everyone keeps referring to it and I've even written to them saying they had completely forgotten about the other subset of medical students - but it seems unlikely that they'll make any generous changes as you say.

I was hoping that UEA itself might offer some sort of support because they don't have a graduate entry course and after going to the visit day, it seemed that there were quite a few graduate entrants in the previous years.

Wishful thinking..

Yes, it will be absolutely ridiculous if DoH turn around in a few months time and declare that we are not entitled to tuition fee payment in our 5th year or something like that! Of course if they declared that we'd be entitled to MORE money... that would be fine :smile: and yes totally agree, I've sent emails, made phone calls, and every time I get sent back to that stupid letter that bears no relevance whatsoever!

UEA give out a bit of money for students who achieve AAA in their A levels, which I did, but I emailed them and they said because it's not my most recent qualification I don't qualify! I simply love being discriminated against because I didn't know I wanted to be a doctor since I was 6 months old.

Other than that I just don't think there's any other financial help available from UEA themselves. But if you discover anything to the contrary then please let me know!
Reply 1672
Original post by feverdream
Yes, it will be absolutely ridiculous if DoH turn around in a few months time and declare that we are not entitled to tuition fee payment in our 5th year or something like that! Of course if they declared that we'd be entitled to MORE money... that would be fine :smile: and yes totally agree, I've sent emails, made phone calls, and every time I get sent back to that stupid letter that bears no relevance whatsoever!

UEA give out a bit of money for students who achieve AAA in their A levels, which I did, but I emailed them and they said because it's not my most recent qualification I don't qualify! I simply love being discriminated against because I didn't know I wanted to be a doctor since I was 6 months old.

Other than that I just don't think there's any other financial help available from UEA themselves. But if you discover anything to the contrary then please let me know!

Oh God don't say that! That didn't even occur to me - I don't think they can take back our 5th year payments though (at least I hope not). It is confirmed though and I WILL fight for it!

Yeah it's been exactly the same for me. And to top it all off, every 4 out of 5 phone call to student finance has their advisor telling me that of course my £9k tuition fee will be covered, when in fact there is no truth to it at all!

Ahh that really sucks! Such silly 'terms and conditions' they have there...

I'm just waiting for the moment when everyone realises how ridiculous it is to expect a graduate who's going into another full-time degree to have £36k lying around. Will of course let you know if I miraculously find something :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1673
Original post by jessplease
try waiting from 15th december :frown: aha im kinda just gunna treat it as a rejection, and see what happens! I really want to ring up, but i know ishouldnt aha

Well as of a couple of hours ago this is my last hope for getting into medicine this yr. i'm currently in yr 13 so ill take a gap year and reapply. But i want to start planning if that's the case i just really want uea to get back to us soon not in just under 2 months time!!! yes im tempted to ring up just to ask because none of us have a clue what's going on, but like you im unsure whether to. If at any point you give in, can you please post any information that will be useful

Thanks
Original post by alice24
Well as of a couple of hours ago this is my last hope for getting into medicine this yr. i'm currently in yr 13 so ill take a gap year and reapply. But i want to start planning if that's the case i just really want uea to get back to us soon not in just under 2 months time!!! yes im tempted to ring up just to ask because none of us have a clue what's going on, but like you im unsure whether to. If at any point you give in, can you please post any information that will be useful

Thanks

Aww, its not very fair that they leave us so long :frown: and of course! And could you post if you ring up too :smile: I probably will at some point just to see if all though they've said may whether They think we'll hear earlier! Good luck and fingers crossed for you :smile: well and me aha
Reply 1675
Still nothing :frown: this is driving me crazy. UEA medic can you tell us what's going on, are we on a waiting list like previous years?
Original post by alice24
Still nothing :frown: this is driving me crazy. UEA medic can you tell us what's going on, are we on a waiting list like previous years?

even if we are its a bit harsh not to tell us whats really going on.. i have been waiting almost 3 months and this is getting a little silly.. i would adore a place but if they don't want me i just wish i knew :/
Original post by alice24

Original post by shanniejane
even if we are its a bit harsh not to tell us whats really going on.. i have been waiting almost 3 months and this is getting a little silly.. i would adore a place but if they don't want me i just wish i knew :/

I just rung up as couldn't deal with the unknown anymore and they said they aren't in a position to give out more offers at the moment so are going to re-look at the applications after easter and then hopefully give out some decisions then :smile: atleast we know we may have some hope of hearing after easter! she told me that all i can do really is 'sit back and wait it out' aha

Edit: i think it probs means that they gave out enough offers but need to wait until the applicants reply, and they can have a bit more of a judgement of who has firmed etc
(edited 12 years ago)
I was lucky enough to get an unconditional offer to my top choice this year and so I wont be accepting my place at UEA which came in a close second. Hopefully it will go to a deserving applicant :smile:
Reply 1679
Original post by jessplease
I just rung up as couldn't deal with the unknown anymore and they said they aren't in a position to give out more offers at the moment so are going to re-look at the applications after easter and then hopefully give out some decisions then :smile: atleast we know we may have some hope of hearing after easter! she told me that all i can do really is 'sit back and wait it out' aha

Edit: i think it probs means that they gave out enough offers but need to wait until the applicants reply, and they can have a bit more of a judgement of who has firmed etc

Thank you so much for ringing up ha ha literally of the last few days ive been on breaking point of doing exactly the same thing! Well hmmm sounds positive ishhh we'll just have to wait and see :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest