The Student Room Group

Why do women find the "ripped look" attractive?

It has occurred to me before that there seems to be no real reason why being "ripped" would indicate a high-status male. So why do women find it more attractive than, say, someone who looks a little flabby?

I'm just theorizing here, but back in ape days, surely the leader of the tribe would not go out to hunt? If lion culture is anything to go by, the rest of the tribe would go out to hunt and be under the orders of and wait upon the tribal leader. And common sense dictates that the hunter-gatherers would be more ripped than the tribal leader?

Perhaps that's it? The tribal leader can have the pick of the women and being ripped indicates a lower status and therefore more likely to be single?

Scroll to see replies

older women know its about the bank balance
Reply 2
Original post by pomme de terre
Not all women find a particular look attractive you know :smile:

Customary TSR response #1: do not generalize. :wink:
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure that the dating world does not have precedents set by monkeys.

Women like what they like - it's their own personal preference, probably highly influenced by media and nurture.
Reply 4
Original post by SamanthaBrick

most older women i met, are into the younger ripped guys, after they divorced the guy with the bank balance
Reply 5
Original post by Aack
I'm pretty sure that the dating world does not have precedents set by monkeys.

Women like what they like - it's their own personal preference, probably highly influenced by media and nurture.

So, in the modern world, you do not think they're any evolutionary factors in the way humans think? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SamanthaBrick

How would they actually find this out though? Many people will have more than one bank account, often in multiple countries. Also, most people won't just let people look at their balance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Because being skinny makes you look beta and inferior which is unattractive.
Reply 8
Original post by Dark Horse
Customary TSR response #1: do not generalize. :wink:

You realise you have made a massive generalization in your post right?
Reply 9
I don't know :/
Personally I'm partial to someone on the weedy side myself :colondollar:
I can't really think of a biological reason for that though.
Reply 10
Original post by rogerharris
most older women i met, are into the younger ripped guys, after they divorced the guy with the bank balance

Exactly, the question is WHY? Why does the ripped guy's visible muscles make him so compelling to the ladies? :smile:
Probably because men who have good muscle tone and low body fat look fit and healthy, i.e good potential fathers with good genes. Not that when women look at "ripped men" they automatically think "wow he must have good genes for our potential babies", it's a subconscious thing. Like how most men are attracted to girls who have a good hip to waist ratio because it indicates fertility.
Reply 12
The fitter/healthier you look the healthier your offspring are likely to be making you a preferential mate.
Reply 13
us man we like tits and ass

women like ripped guys

its just nature
Reply 14
Original post by Maccees
You realise you have made a massive generalization in your post right?

"Do not generalize" is nothing more than a crutch for people to use in "debate" when they have nothing of substance to say. :smile:
Original post by effofex
How would they actually find this out though. Many people will have more than one bank account, often in multiple countries. Also, most people won't just let people look at their balance.

learn english
Reply 16
A ripped guy is fitter than a skinny runt...
Reply 17
So, in the modern world, you do not think they're any evolutionary factors in the way humans think? :smile:

Not really - it's more culture than evolution.

I'm pretty sure that in some parts of Africa, women are attracted to the fat men for various reasons.

I think our choices are influenced by the way we are brought up and what the media tells us is right/wrong / desirable/undesirable.

But as with anything else in life - there are no rules set in stone.
Reply 18
Original post by Dimples18
A ripped guy is fitter than a skinny runt...

Yes but WHY?!

Unless both of them work in the fitness industry, the earning potential of the skinny runt could well be just as high for the skinny runt, if not higher if he has a good profession.
It has occurred to me before that there seems to be no real reason why being "ripped" would indicate a high-status male. So why do women find it more attractive than, say, someone who looks a little flabby?

I'm just theorizing here, but back in ape days, surely the leader of the tribe would not go out to hunt? If lion culture is anything to go by, the rest of the tribe would go out to hunt and be under the orders of and wait upon the tribal leader. And common sense dictates that the hunter-gatherers would be more ripped than the tribal leader?

Perhaps that's it? The tribal leader can have the pick of the women and being ripped indicates a lower status and therefore more likely to be single?

No, he had to be more ripped to maintain his place of leader and fight the others. It is a sign of virility and natural selection. The same reason why men prefer women with bigger tits.

EDIT: negs? really? its rather sad. And skinny, ignorant guys who dont even know the basics of nature. Nice try, Justin Bieber.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest