The Student Room Group

A-level GPA conversion

Wondered if anyone knows how I could calculate my A-levels to GPA(as in GPA for high school in order to apply for undergrad!)
I did search TSR and according to the post earlier on TSR my GPA goes above 4 which doesn't seem right in so many ways!

+rep
Reply 1
Original post by arvin_infinity
Wondered if anyone knows how I could calculate my A-levels to GPA(as in GPA for high school in order to apply for undergrad!)
I did search TSR and according to the post earlier on TSR my GPA goes above 4 which doesn't seem right in so many ways!

+rep

Google doesn't bring anything showing direct equivalents but most unis list the international equivalents as they see them on their website so search the courses that interest you and see what those unis say.

This is an example for my course: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/law/undergraduate/entry-requirements
Reply 2

+rep

You get first year credit at most unis for A Levels so I'm not sure if its right to even compare both or try to convert one into another.
Original post by Azland
You get first year credit at most unis for A Levels so I'm not sure if its right to even compare both or try to convert one into another.

That's true they do transfer some credits! So far all uni I've spoken to do transfer
As for conversion! I really need it atm cause that would help me sorta of narrow down my choices! Im almost 100% sure it is convertable just dunno how
You cannot convert A-levels to a GPA; they're two completely different systems. And this doesn't even begin to get onto the issue of weighted and unweighted GPA's for example.

Source: Experience. I applied to the US this year and go to a school here in the UK that sends the most number of students to the US year-on-year.
Original post by MirandaPanda
You cannot convert A-levels to a GPA; they're two completely different systems. And this doesn't even begin to get onto the issue of weighted and unweighted GPA's for example.

Source: Experience. I applied to the US this year and go to a school here in the UK that sends the most number of students to the US year-on-year.

So what do the mean when they say we evaluate your A-level results ! and our decision is based on your alevel results!
Original post by roh
Google doesn't bring anything showing direct equivalents but most unis list the international equivalents as they see them on their website so search the courses that interest you and see what those unis say.

This is an example for my course: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/law/undergraduate/entry-requirements

For some reason the one I was looking for , dont actually mention what they are looking for but they do say it has to be minimum C which not of so much help
So what do the mean when they say we evaluate your A-level results ! and our decision is based on your alevel results!

Isn't is pretty self-explanatory? The British A-level system, alongside that of the IB, are well known and thus can be evaluated without the need to convert them to a GPA (which cannot be done anyway, as A-levels are not weighted and/or unweighted).
Reply 8
For some reason the one I was looking for , dont actually mention what they are looking for but they do say it has to be minimum C which not of so much help

OK, in that case just email the relevant admissions contact, USA is hardly an unusual country to apply from so they'll probably know what they're looking for and be happy to tell you, after all as an international student you are walking talking profit!
Isn't is pretty self-explanatory? The British A-level system, alongside that of the IB, are well known and thus can be evaluated without the need to convert them to a GPA (which cannot be done anyway, as A-levels are not weighted and/or unweighted).

Oh right! so I wonder how they would do that! I mean say for undergrad bio entry!
what would be the typical offer(as in would they be looking for 3A?)
BTW am not applying to top 20 national unis !
am sorta looking for further down like George washington, boston, GMU,sunny ..
and a few regional uni like JMU-Rice-New Jersey-loras- ...
Original post by roh
OK, in that case just email the relevant admissions contact, USA is hardly an unusual country to apply from so they'll probably know what they're looking for and be happy to tell you, after all as an international student you are walking talking profit!

I wonder if you did SAT! or you just applying with your A-levels..
Reply 11
I wonder if you did SAT! or you just applying with your A-levels..

Sorry misread your original post, I thought you were American with GPA trying to translate it into A Levels.
From what I know don't you need the SAT to get in in the US? I'm afraid the people I know there were all on sporting scholarships to big NCAA Div I colleges, so the colleges were as much, if not more, concerned about their sporting ability and they were actively recruited by coaches so it was pretty obvious they were going to get an offer if they wanted one but even they had to sit the SAT.

Maybe post on College Confidential and see if they have any idea.
Original post by roh
Sorry misread your original post, I thought you were American with GPA trying to translate it into A Levels.
From what I know don't you need the SAT to get in in the US? I'm afraid the people I know there were all on sporting scholarships to big NCAA Div I colleges, so the colleges were as much, if not more, concerned about their sporting ability and they were actively recruited by coaches so it was pretty obvious they were going to get an offer if they wanted one but even they had to sit the SAT.

Maybe post on College Confidential and see if they have any idea.

Ahaha no worries..I thought you misread it too!
I just did -good thinking
Original post by roh

No, he/she isn't; all students, be they international or domestic, pay the same rates of tuition at private colleges. Within state colleges, most internationals pay out-of-state tuition rates, same as their domestic competition. Indeed, admission for an international student is a lot tougher than for domestic students.
Reply 14
No, he/she isn't; all students, be they international or domestic, pay the same rates of tuition at private colleges. Within state colleges, most internationals pay out-of-state tuition rates, same as their domestic competition. Indeed, admission for an international student is a lot tougher than for domestic students.

Sorry, I mis read OP's post thinking they were an American coming to the UK, rather than a UK national going to America. I realise it's crazy hard, particularly at the 6 or so international needs blind colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest