The Student Room Group

Anyone else accepted Glasgow Uni for English lit or anything actually! :) then hello!

Hi studentroomarinos! :smile:

I've finally made Glasgow my firm choice, and have decided where I want to live for the first year away from home (Margaret Residences) and just wondered if anyone fancied a general chat to talk about accommodation (HI! If your applying there too) even if it's just about buying new bedding, I kid!. Or just generally about the uni/ course your taking. I haven't actually spoken to many people who are going to Glasgow Uni, it would be extra lovely to have a chat to some people before September comes along.

Some questions I have are:
1. Are you from Glasgow, if so why do you like it so? OR if not what's making you decide to move there?

2. Is there anything your dreading/ looking forward to?

3. DO YOU WANT A FANTASTIC NEW FRIEND TO TALK BULL POOP WITH?

4. If yes, anybody up for a 'man vs food' type friend? Then I'm your lady!

Come on, give me a reply! Or else I'll be left here discussing forks and spoons with myself. (innuendo not intended).
PLEASE DON'T BE MEAN, BUT HATERS GUNNAA HATE ETC. tehehe,

Lots of love,
Lazyowllady
Eighteen and two thirds.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
1. I'm not from Glasgow but I am from Scotland originally so only applied to Scottish universities as I wanted to move back and be closer to family. I chose Glasgow uni in particular because it's the best in the league tables for History (aside from St Andrews) and I just love the look of it. Also, I love being in big cities!

2. I'm looking forward to pretty much everything, I'm so excited! Can't wait to have more independence and meet lots of lovely new people. Not so keen for shared showers/toilets, the idea scares me a little bit haha (I've put Margaret residences as my first choice but my offer is only conditional so i'm guessing they'll all be gone by the time I get my results).

3. YES!

4. Sounds good to me!

Why have you chosen Glasgow and what are you personally looking forward to/dreading? Also, what subjects do you want to study other than English lit? I think my choices will be History, English lit + French.
Reply 2
I am! But I may decide to re-apply next year depending on grade outcomes :smile:

1. Nope, I'm from London :smile: But Glasgow's campus was so beautiful (as are all Scottish unis), plus it had an achievable grade offering.

2. Dreading the commute and the supposedly not-so-great food, but looking forward to EVERYTHING else!

3. WHAT COULD BE BETTER?

4. Who wouldn't be up for that?!

Hmm I'm not too sure about the other subjects... I was definitely considering Medieval History. Don't know why, I've just never done it before and why not?!
Reply 3
Original post by meganharcus
1. I'm not from Glasgow but I am from Scotland originally so only applied to Scottish universities as I wanted to move back and be closer to family. I chose Glasgow uni in particular because it's the best in the league tables for History (aside from St Andrews) and I just love the look of it. Also, I love being in big cities!

2. I'm looking forward to pretty much everything, I'm so excited! Can't wait to have more independence and meet lots of lovely new people. Not so keen for shared showers/toilets, the idea scares me a little bit haha (I've put Margaret residences as my first choice but my offer is only conditional so i'm guessing they'll all be gone by the time I get my results).

3. YES!

4. Sounds good to me!

Why have you chosen Glasgow and what are you personally looking forward to/dreading? Also, what subjects do you want to study other than English lit? I think my choices will be History, English lit + French.

Hi :smile: awhh it's nice to actually hear from someone doing English Lit at Glasgow! And that someone replied to my (slightly psychotically excited) post.

So, why I chose it. Umm, I love cities too! I'm from Newcastle (I hope from now on this is read in a geordie accent, akk!) and from visiting Glasgow it has the same nice down to earth feel. The uni alone is just beautiful (even if I'm overlooking the concrete train wreck that is the english building), I like the whole flexible structure of subjects in the four years and Margaret Residences is a bit of a beaut! (The idea of sharing a toilet is otherwise terrifying).
I'm probably taking something else like theatre studies, or media and informatics or something I'd just fancy having a go at like classics.

I'm looking forward to a good old cocktail, meeting new people, independance, having a giggle, reading some lovely lit and finally getting to see some bands Newcastle never gets. What kind of music/books/anything are you into? :smile:

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the separation from my little friends who I love dearly, and just generally getting used to living alone, and cleaning.

p.s kudos for saying yes to talking **** and watching man vs food!
Reply 4
Original post by gingey
I am! But I may decide to re-apply next year depending on grade outcomes :smile:

1. Nope, I'm from London :smile: But Glasgow's campus was so beautiful (as are all Scottish unis), plus it had an achievable grade offering.

2. Dreading the commute and the supposedly not-so-great food, but looking forward to EVERYTHING else!

3. WHAT COULD BE BETTER?

4. Who wouldn't be up for that?!

Hmm I'm not too sure about the other subjects... I was definitely considering Medieval History. Don't know why, I've just never done it before and why not?!

Oh well I hope your a fellow 2012 join-ee to the uni! :smile:

Oh my! Well that's quite a difference to Glasgow, but if you can take on London I'm guessing you can take on anywhere!
It's really lovely to hear someone so positive! It is exciting isn't it? Especially after getting through the hell that is A level. As i just said above ^^ I'm looking forward to a good old cocktail, meeting new people and just generally having a happy time.

"Who wouldn't be up for that?" LET ME JUST SAY I LOVE YOU ALREADY! I hope that you go to Glasgow, because what would be more fantastic than a man vs food watching friend?! ( or friend(s)? i love the person above too!)
What type of things are you into? :smile: Whether it be books/tv/music/anything!

I look forward to your reply!
Reply 5
Original post by lazyowl
Oh well I hope your a fellow 2012 join-ee to the uni! :smile:

Oh my! Well that's quite a difference to Glasgow, but if you can take on London I'm guessing you can take on anywhere!
It's really lovely to hear someone so positive! It is exciting isn't it? Especially after getting through the hell that is A level. As i just said above ^^ I'm looking forward to a good old cocktail, meeting new people and just generally having a happy time.

"Who wouldn't be up for that?" LET ME JUST SAY I LOVE YOU ALREADY! I hope that you go to Glasgow, because what would be more fantastic than a man vs food watching friend?! ( or friend(s)? i love the person above too!)
What type of things are you into? :smile: Whether it be books/tv/music/anything!

I look forward to your reply!

SO exciting :biggrin: Oh to be honest all three, books and TV probably do take up a ridiculous portion of my life though! Hmm right now it's all about Made in Chelsea and Game of Thrones (so complete opposites), and we've got to have some HPotter fans in here...
Ahh, a good old cocktail sounds perfect
Reply 6
Original post by lazyowl
Hi :smile: awhh it's nice to actually hear from someone doing English Lit at Glasgow! And that someone replied to my (slightly psychotically excited) post.

So, why I chose it. Umm, I love cities too! I'm from Newcastle (I hope from now on this is read in a geordie accent, akk!) and from visiting Glasgow it has the same nice down to earth feel. The uni alone is just beautiful (even if I'm overlooking the concrete train wreck that is the english building), I like the whole flexible structure of subjects in the four years and Margaret Residences is a bit of a beaut! (The idea of sharing a toilet is otherwise terrifying).
I'm probably taking something else like theatre studies, or media and informatics or something I'd just fancy having a go at like classics.

I'm looking forward to a good old cocktail, meeting new people, independance, having a giggle, reading some lovely lit and finally getting to see some bands Newcastle never gets. What kind of music/books/anything are you into? :smile:

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the separation from my little friends who I love dearly, and just generally getting used to living alone, and cleaning.

p.s kudos for saying yes to talking **** and watching man vs food!

Haha don't worry about it; i'm so excited too!

Do you have a unconditional offer then or a conditional one? If unconditional, have you received an accomodation offer yet? I definitely share the fear of sharing a toilet... if you get into Margaret Residences i'll be jealous as ****.

Do you study English lit as one of your A levels? I don't but love reading so I just thought I might as well choose it as my third subject in case I decide history/french isn't for me. Classics looks great too (good mix of history and literature), that would be what i'd go for if it wasn't for English.

Music-wise i'm into pretty much anything really (I know everyone says that but seriously). One day I might be dancing to Beyonce, the next i'll be listening to Bon Iver. Anything with a good tune and catchy lyrics appeals to me. Book-wise i'm mainly into the classics, e.g. Nabokov's Lolita or Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Nothing against the contemporary stuff though, I guess I just don't really know where to start as there's an overwhelming amount. I'm hoping that heading to uni and meeting more like minded people will help me find more brilliant books :-) what music/books are you into?

I keep telling myself that I love independance and that I cope well with moving away from all my friends (done two big moves away from the familiar in my life) but deep down i'm absolutely *****ing it! I think i'll be fine once i've been there for a few weeks or so but leaving absolutely everyone and actually having to do my own washing (and like you said, cleaning) and everything is certainly going to take some getting used to!

Your post was always gonna get a reply from me: man vs food is basically my life atm and speaking **** is what i'm best at! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Wow I finally found some 2012 english lit applicants to Glasgow uni who sound randomly awesome :-P
I live in glasgow and I accepted english lit in glasgow. Cant Wait! I chose glasgow because its one of scotlands top, second top after edinburgh, and of course, I love lit...mostly......will be good for journalism tht I want to go in ;-) xx
Reply 8
Original post by meganharcus
Haha don't worry about it; i'm so excited too!

Do you have a unconditional offer then or a conditional one? If unconditional, have you received an accomodation offer yet? I definitely share the fear of sharing a toilet... if you get into Margaret Residences i'll be jealous as ****.

Do you study English lit as one of your A levels? I don't but love reading so I just thought I might as well choose it as my third subject in case I decide history/french isn't for me. Classics looks great too (good mix of history and literature), that would be what i'd go for if it wasn't for English.

Music-wise i'm into pretty much anything really (I know everyone says that but seriously). One day I might be dancing to Beyonce, the next i'll be listening to Bon Iver. Anything with a good tune and catchy lyrics appeals to me. Book-wise i'm mainly into the classics, e.g. Nabokov's Lolita or Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Nothing against the contemporary stuff though, I guess I just don't really know where to start as there's an overwhelming amount. I'm hoping that heading to uni and meeting more like minded people will help me find more brilliant books :-) what music/books are you into?

I keep telling myself that I love independance and that I cope well with moving away from all my friends (done two big moves away from the familiar in my life) but deep down i'm absolutely *****ing it! I think i'll be fine once i've been there for a few weeks or so but leaving absolutely everyone and actually having to do my own washing (and like you said, cleaning) and everything is certainly going to take some getting used to!

Your post was always gonna get a reply from me: man vs food is basically my life atm and speaking **** is what i'm best at! :biggrin:

Sorry for the majorly late reply! Umm what kind of books I'm into, I guess I like a little bit of everything, I love classics, I like contemporary and I love a little bit of trashy romantic type reading too :smile: anything that makes you feel in that weird "I'm still trapped in the book" feeling after an hour of reading and It's usually a good read for me. And for the person above ^^^ I like a bit of Harry Potter as much as the next person.

Music wise I like a bit of everything too! I don't particularly class myself to any specify type because again like books anything that makes me happy I'll become addicted to listening to. I like a bit of the usual you me at six, beyonce, bon iver, lana del ray, foo fighters (general listing from iTunes hahaha) etcetc.

Yeah I study English Lit as part of my A-levels, I chose it just because i find it a little bit fascinating how easy it is to talk to people about book and opinions, and to do that for a few years sounds perfect. Aaaaanyway, you sound really lovely and easy to talk to, so I hope you end up in your top halls and maybe we'll get to chat about books sometime at uni (:
Reply 9
Original post by gingey
SO exciting :biggrin: Oh to be honest all three, books and TV probably do take up a ridiculous portion of my life though! Hmm right now it's all about Made in Chelsea and Game of Thrones (so complete opposites), and we've got to have some HPotter fans in here...
Ahh, a good old cocktail sounds perfect

Oh me too, all of the above are MAJOR distractions from everything that I need to be doing, however I think I might be a bit of a rival as a the only way is essex fan (I'm ashamed at even myself for admitting that). Yeah I love a bit of Harry Potter too (: have you been part of any other of the 'cultish' books like twilight or the hunger games?
Reply 10
Original post by x.Hana.x
Wow I finally found some 2012 english lit applicants to Glasgow uni who sound randomly awesome :-P
I live in glasgow and I accepted english lit in glasgow. Cant Wait! I chose glasgow because its one of scotlands top, second top after edinburgh, and of course, I love lit...mostly......will be good for journalism tht I want to go in ;-) xx

Awhh yay! (: that's really sweet, I hadn't really seen any threads about glasgow and english lit, even though at the open days there seemed to be just a sea of people, and I thought it might be cool to speak to some before uni actually begins. What's it generally like to live in glasgow, and I've been meaning to ask someone how safe it feels or where to avoid? (: I'm from newcastle so i'm not exactly a delicate flower to cities, it's just nice to know where to avoid since I'm going to be a loner for the first week or so.

Hope you reply! Xxx
Ahhhh I've applied for English Lit and History and am hoping for Queen Margaret residences! :biggrin: Coming from Belfast so just a lil trip across the water! I'm so frightened though :frown: But Glasgow is meant to be class, so I'm sort of nervous-excited :smile: I'm looking forward to going clubbing, meeting new people and generally having lots of banter! The first week I've promised myself that I won't be shy, so hopefully that works out haha. Are you nervous about/looking forward to anything? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by la-penseur
Ahhhh I've applied for English Lit and History and am hoping for Queen Margaret residences! :biggrin: Coming from Belfast so just a lil trip across the water! I'm so frightened though :frown: But Glasgow is meant to be class, so I'm sort of nervous-excited :smile: I'm looking forward to going clubbing, meeting new people and generally having lots of banter! The first week I've promised myself that I won't be shy, so hopefully that works out haha. Are you nervous about/looking forward to anything? :smile:

Hiii! (: yay lots more lovely English lit people. Ahh me too, I'd love to get placed in Queen Margaret residences just keeping all my fingers crossed! Wow, your so brave moving all this way (: I'm nervous and I'm only two hours away from home on the train. Definitely nervous excited too. I'm a bit shy too, I have to push myself out of my little snail shell to talk to people, but always find that easier when I'm on my own anyway! I'm really looking forward to just living my life, exploring scotland and meeting some lovely people. Anything else you want to ask?! Just ask away hehe :3
Reply 13
Original post by lazyowl
Hi studentroomarinos! :smile:

I've finally made Glasgow my firm choice, and have decided where I want to live for the first year away from home (Margaret Residences) and just wondered if anyone fancied a general chat to talk about accommodation (HI! If your applying there too) even if it's just about buying new bedding, I kid!. Or just generally about the uni/ course your taking. I haven't actually spoken to many people who are going to Glasgow Uni, it would be extra lovely to have a chat to some people before September comes along.

Some questions I have are:
1. Are you from Glasgow, if so why do you like it so? OR if not what's making you decide to move there?

2. Is there anything your dreading/ looking forward to?

3. DO YOU WANT A FANTASTIC NEW FRIEND TO TALK BULL POOP WITH?

4. If yes, anybody up for a 'man vs food' type friend? Then I'm your lady!

Come on, give me a reply! Or else I'll be left here discussing forks and spoons with myself. (innuendo not intended).
PLEASE DON'T BE MEAN, BUT HATERS GUNNAA HATE ETC. tehehe,

Lots of love,
Lazyowllady
Eighteen and two thirds.

You seem a little crazy. Which is fantastic! Normal people are boring, and I'm slightly uncomfortable around people who are non compos mentis :P

1. I'm a Londoner, heading to Glasgow because I failed my St Andrews offer last year and hate where I am now :woo:

2. Looking forward to being able to study more stuff! And putting off the real world for as long as possible xD

3. Erm let me think about that for a momYES

4. I've not yet seen that show! My friends have told me I'd like it, however, so that's good enough for me!

On the subject of forks and spoons, what are your views on sporks? I feel like they're a good idea but always woefully implemented and just plain ugly >< I've got an unconditional for History and I'm either going to also do Philosophy and Classics or instead do Classics Latin and Greek because I don't really think you can study Classics in translation and ever actually get the true feel of it...so yeah, fun subjects :biggrin: I'm also looking forward to doing Freshers all over again nyahaha. Oh, and joining various societies, need to limit myself this year though as I joined about twenty and only had time for a few. I'm in QM halls too, actually the reason I'm on at this hour when I have an exam tomorrow (though granted I don't actually need to sit it) is because I was talking to a friend earlier who was saying ensuite accom was going to be full of unsociables so I've been searching TSR for evidence against this XD
Reply 14
Hi :-)
Lol yeah I dont live in glasgow, but I go to school there, my friends live there, spend most of my waking moments there :-P
Well around Glasgow uni, I would expect that area to be relatively safe with all the students etc i.e biars road etc but I dont know much about the english.lit ie arts area around the buildings, lol I only know the engineering, physics buildings because my dad works there.
But I dont think you need to worry about being safe much, I've been here 9 years and stabbed not even once.....and im not even scottish haha
No iim kidding, i'd say stick to busy places like anywhere you get a few ...lets just say, ums here...
I think, yeah, youll find it pretty same to newcastle...i used to live in london and I dont find too much difference from there in Glasgow

So are you looking forward to studying english lit? I know I am..yeah i've noticed not a lot of english lit glasgow threads here, I attempted one once I remember...
Aw you wont be a loner,scottish people are very friendly, generally :-)
I never got to go to the open days, had a NAB at school that I couldnt miss, sadly...what was it like?

Original post by lazyowl
Awhh yay! (: that's really sweet, I hadn't really seen any threads about glasgow and english lit, even though at the open days there seemed to be just a sea of people, and I thought it might be cool to speak to some before uni actually begins. What's it generally like to live in glasgow, and I've been meaning to ask someone how safe it feels or where to avoid? (: I'm from newcastle so i'm not exactly a delicate flower to cities, it's just nice to know where to avoid since I'm going to be a loner for the first week or so.

Hope you reply! Xxx
Good morning everyone.

I was surfing the web... searching for information on Glasgow Uni and 2012 Freshers and I discovered this page. Next thing, I noticed your chat.
So, a big hello from Athens, Greece. I'm not studying English Lit but History of Art and I am so very excited for this new start. I'm Giorgos by the way.
The offer is unconditional, I have already applied for Residences and I'm accepted at Queen Margaret.

1. I think it's clear I'm not local. :-) but I love the U.K. I have travelled almost all around the country the last few years. Adored it. Glasgow Uni was my second choice (rejected by St. Andrews) so I was especially glad to be accepted. I visited Scotland last November and Glasgow became my fav city up there...

2. Actually... I can't wait for September. (don't hate me) It's unbelievable or I can better say ...this whole experience is a bit surreal for me. I don't know what to expect, but I can certainly hope for the best to come.

3. Acceptance & an active social life are things that I do care for. So, new friends are always more than welcome. *

4. The answer is below... *

*O.K. O.K. I do have some questions... What is that "BULL POOP"? Plus, what kind of friend is the "man vs food"...?

Sorry for any misunderstandings. I will improve my english. Promise.
Giorgos.

Quick Reply