The Student Room Group

Changing schools at the end of AS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im seriously considering moving due to abysmal teaching, but if i moved i would take up new subjects, so go into lower- 6th, will that be a problem??? would anyone want me.....
Reply 21
UpliftMof0
What do you think about looking to change around now? is it probably too late? Im staying positive about changing, although the thing about not being able to resit any exams was something I didnt think of.

however if the school is on the same exam board then you can do resits? is that right?

Yup, as long as it's the same syllabus and same exam board you can resit, though if you want to resit exams from every subject you're doing you may find it difficult to find a new school that does the exact same boards as your old school. When I was looking last year, I managed to find one school out of about 20 that matched all 3 subjects up, and then it couldn't fit me in on the timetable! I'm now at a school that matched up with two boards
Reply 22
I think you can actually do resits if youre changingboards... it was on the forms, but you have to apply to do them and im pretty sure theyd have to be done in january
If I catch up the work, and change some of my subjects, (I've only been there 8 days and I hate it already) will i be ok?
Reply 24
Of course, bt get it sorted quick because of exam boards!
Boo
Thanks for that. I'm considering moving school perhaps at the end of this term (first term of Year 12) and it's something of a comfort to know it's not too late!

I want to move schools because i totally dislike my school. Only problem is the schools i want to go to are almost or fully full. What do i do?!?!
Hello,

Basically I didn't do well at AS, and my Jan results weren't good either. AS-BCC, and in A2 I got CDU (Jan). Now I’m not sure my school does a third year where you repeat your a2 year as I have never seen the year above me repeating A2. I was just wondering if you can retake your A2 year in another college? The problem I can see is that the exam board for my subject would be different and if the college would accept me. I don't think you can add a separate exam board from A2 on top of a different exam board in AS. Anyways I'm just asking if it can be done. Also if you can be able to go through another college, when is the best time to start looking into new college and contacting them if i can apply? Or is too late? I'm in A2(second year) BTW...if you didn't know that from my 1st sentence.

EDIT: i'll give it three days till someone reply to my post otherwise i'll create a new thread to gain attention.
Reply 28
I'm still debating over whether to change colleges for A2. I'm doing my AS's at the moment, in my school's sixth form. It's not bad and I'm doing OK, but I'm getting a bit bored of it after six years... it all seems a bit small and same-y. There's a college nearby that's much bigger (about 1000 people in the year as opposed to 120 at my sixth form!) and I feel like I want to go somewhere new! Should I just hold out for uni or change colleges now? I do enjoy it here and it's where all my friends are, but we have too much pressure - I want to go somewhere more relaxed and laid-back. I don't know if that's a good enough reason to move though, especially since I know at this school I'd probably get better grades :s-smilie: I don't know what to do!
xemmajanex
I'm still debating over whether to change colleges for A2. I'm doing my AS's at the moment, in my school's sixth form. It's not bad and I'm doing OK, but I'm getting a bit bored of it after six years... it all seems a bit small and same-y. There's a college nearby that's much bigger (about 1000 people in the year as opposed to 120 at my sixth form!) and I feel like I want to go somewhere new! Should I just hold out for uni or change colleges now? I do enjoy it here and it's where all my friends are, but we have too much pressure - I want to go somewhere more relaxed and laid-back. I don't know if that's a good enough reason to move though, especially since I know at this school I'd probably get better grades :s-smilie: I don't know what to do!

I can see your point (I've also been at the same school since Year 7, and can't wait till I go to uni!) - but you'd be stuck at the same uni for 5/6 years as you're doing medicine :p:
Reply 30
Excalibur
I can see your point (I've also been at the same school since Year 7, and can't wait till I go to uni!) - but you'd be stuck at the same uni for 5/6 years as you're doing medicine :p:

Well unless she is doing it at a Med School such as Cambridge where you only live there for 3 years and can do clinicals in London, etc or remain in Cam.
Reply 31
Excalibur

I'm happy staying in a place for 5/6 years, just not this place :p: It's starting to feel really small and insular. I'm hoping that uni will be a lot bigger and more exciting... not to mention there'll be boys (shock horror!)

And I don't think Cambridge is for me somehow!
lol I was only kidding, of course uni will be a completely new experience compared with school - and I know what you mean about school being insular. There's only 120 people in my year too (and next year I think we'd be down to about 90 by the looks of it). Still, I do enjoy the homely feel.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - if I was in your position, I wouldn't change schools. My sisters changed school for Year 12 and they found it hard enough to make friends, and they took about a term to get completely used to it... and you don't want to lose precious time for friends etc, when Year 13 is such a crucial year. Plus, what will happen in regards to references? The teachers at your new school probably wouldn't know you as well. Still, if you want to go for it, I'm sure there are ways around it (as the OP mentioned in the first post). In the end it's up to you!
SplidgeSplodge
I think you can actually do resits if youre changingboards... it was on the forms, but you have to apply to do them and im pretty sure theyd have to be done in january

One sure fire way of being able to do it is to resit, THEN certificate the AS for January (and transfer), then sit A2s at the end. However, I think most schools would want you to do it at your original school, and from my experience people often find arranging this a problem. Some schools can be a little forgetful of alumni as it were.
Anyway, if anyone is concerned about it, it can be worth asking yourself if it would be easier to just sit the new school's board's AS exams. Some subjects don't change much between each board, and if you've got to revise anyway for a resit AS, you might find just sitting a whole new set a lot easier. This then gives you the option to resit at the end of the year if you need.
Just do a bit of research, and do whatever comes easiest!
Haiti
Im seriously considering moving due to abysmal teaching, but if i moved i would take up new subjects, so go into lower- 6th, will that be a problem??? would anyone want me.....

It wouldn't be a problem at all.

My friend left school after Y11 and started going to a local sixth form college, instead of the one attached to my school because she didn't like the teaching style etc. It started well but college wasn't all she hoped for, and eventually she dropped out.

Then she moved to Brighton (on her own, this girl has guts, as well as being slightly crazy!) and enrolled at a new college there, starting again in lower sixth, doing slightly different subjects. She totally loves it there and she is my shining example to you.

No one really cares if you resit Y12. Stick to your guns and don't take no for an answer :smile:
I'm moving from my small school 6thform to a much larger one where i will be continuing with my A2's... Im scarrreed :frown:
Reply 36
*Tears and Butterflies*
I'm moving from my small school 6thform to a much larger one where i will be continuing with my A2's... Im scarrreed :frown:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine once you settle in - it'll probably be nice to have a change after 6 years of being stuck in the same place anyway :smile: And it's good practice for going to uni!
xemmajanex
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine once you settle in - it'll probably be nice to have a change after 6 years of being stuck in the same place anyway :smile: And it's good practice for going to uni!

Yeah but the thing is...i really love my 6th form....it doesn't feel like I'm 'stuck' there at all. :frown: ....Look at the post i just wrote a min ago;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Tears and Butterflies*
Im leaving my Lovely lil 6thform <3 behind....my new colllege starts on monday. I spent the whole day there today though, just chatting to teachers and drinking tea. Will go back again tomorrow, and probably the rest of the week....i'll miss that place .

Oh no, I'm getting all teary eyed, because a sad song (imogen heap hide and seek ) is playing. And i'm thinking about how i've just left. Damn it i'm crying now ...... I hate leaving places I cried at college too, I was chatting to my ICT tech who i get on with well, told him i was definitely leaving and the tears started to roll. I don't want to go. 'Its all for the best or course it it....its all for the best you decided this' how appropriate of the song, and damn upsetting, Sorry I'm having a big rant here while i'm crying and my eyeliner is probably all smudged.

I can't believe I'm actually leaving, i never ever even though i would....i wouldn't mind staying there forever *cries*

Oh well......its all for the best, of course it is, all for the best I decided it.

Wish me luck.
Reply 38
I'm just about to start my AS's and i hope that i do well so that i can leave at the end of the year and go somewhere else to do my A2's, if i do well with my AS's will i be alright?

Also, when should i be looking at possible new colleges to study my A2's, around now?

Anyway, thanks for your help. :smile: Appreciated.
Reply 39
*Tears and Butterflies*
Yeah but the thing is...i really love my 6th form....it doesn't feel like I'm 'stuck' there at all. :frown: ....Look at the post i just wrote a min ago

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that :frown: Why do you have to leave? I suppose at least you can go back and visit your old school from time to time? I hope it all goes well for you :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest