The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by yashradia
Does it look bad to tell people you got 2:1 knowing you fall between average and clever line? Does one have to be shy to tell that?

I just got my coursework grade today and i am no way going to get 1st now :frown: feel so down and gutted with myself:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Nothing to be ashamed of getting a 2:1
Reply 2
Why would you have to be why to say that? At the end of the day you've done all you can do and a 2:1 is still pretty good. There's no point beating yourself up about it.
If you aren't clever enough don't beat yourself up.
Reply 4
Original post by yashradia
Does it look bad to tell people you got 2:1 knowing you fall between average and clever line? Does one have to be shy to tell that?

I just got my coursework grade today and i am no way going to get 1st now :frown: feel so down and gutted with myself:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

2.1 is about average, not "between average and clever"
A 2:1 is a very good grade. A lot of clever people achieve 2:1s. Nothing to be ashamed of.

At my university, and in many universities, only ~10% of people manage to achieve a 1st. And getting a 2:1 still takes a lot of dedication and work.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
A first is reserved for the smartest of people on your course, maybe like 5-15% of people? depends on uni and course obviously.

A 2:1 is a very good grade .

The trouble is, a 2:1 is deemed pretty good, but a 2:2 is deemed essentially worthless most of the time, the steps down are big, just be glad you didn't get a 2:2 ;D
(edited 13 years ago)
This reminds me I was talking to some woman today and I said I could probably just cruise and get a 2:1 but I want to work my arse of and get a first then she said that she got a 2:1. Felt like a right ******* and learnt a valuable lesson about keeping my mouth shut.
Reply 8
Original post by Busby_Babe
This reminds me I was talking to some woman today and I said I could probably just cruise and get a 2:1 but I want to work my arse of and get a first then she said that she got a 2:1. Felt like a right ******* and learnt a valuable lesson about keeping my mouth shut.

Like to see you 'cruise' and get a 2.1

Up your own ass much?
Reply 9
2:1's are the cool people's 1sts, they're for the clever people who know they're clever but choose to spend Uni having fun and not sitting at there desk being lame. I've heard a lot of people also say that some companies even prefer 2:1's to 1sts as it shows people have both intelligence and personality, wheras 1st's may be squares. Twisted logic and probably bull**** but it makes me feel better that I'm getting a 2:1. Ha. At the end of the day most jobs will only require a 2:1, not having a first wont rule you out of many jobs at all. And a 2:1 won't rule you out of many interview situations either so just impress them at interviews, you wont get a job solely by your degree classification.
The respectability of your grade tends to depend on the subject and the university. Either way, a 2:1 is always a respectable achievement.
Original post by Tommyjw
Like to see you 'cruise' and get a 2.1

Up your own ass much?

which was the point of my post and why I felt like a prick afterwards
Reply 12
Original post by js374
Nothing to be ashamed of getting a 2:1

I just wanna know how to post a thread? xxx
Original post by sommatime88
2:1's are the cool people's 1sts, they're for the clever people who know they're clever but choose to spend Uni having fun and not sitting at there desk being lame. I've heard a lot of people also say that some companies even prefer 2:1's to 1sts as it shows people have both intelligence and personality, wheras 1st's may be squares. Twisted logic and probably bull**** but it makes me feel better that I'm getting a 2:1. Ha. At the end of the day most jobs will only require a 2:1, not having a first wont rule you out of many jobs at all. And a 2:1 won't rule you out of many interview situations either so just impress them at interviews, you wont get a job solely by your degree classification.

But a lot of people don't aim and get 1st solely because of missing out on fun, they do it because they want to or they have a genuine passion for the subject which pushes them that far. And it's not impossible to achieve a 1st and have some fun, it just comes down to balance and routine.

It's also good for postgraduate applications, some universities have a minimum requirement of a 1st.
I wouldn't be disappointed with that at all. The grading isn't really a good relection I don't think. There's a big difference in quality between a low 2.1 and high 2.1, yet it doesn't really matter.
Reply 15
2:1's are the cool people's 1sts, they're for the clever people who know they're clever but choose to spend Uni having fun and not sitting at there desk being lame.

This sounds bad but that's pretty much how I've lived my entire life.
Original post by JayDay92
This sounds bad but that's pretty much how I've lived my entire life.

Which bit the sitting at the desk being lame?

And Sheep Go Bar I agree 1sts are very good and respect if you get one I definitely wouldnt say no to one but definitely dont deserve one. Im also not saying everyone who gets one is lame, like you say some people may just want to try hard and or have a passion for what they do I'm just saying its sometimes better not to get too hung up on getting a top grade at the sacrifice of your enjoyment and fun at uni.
Reply 17
Which bit the sitting at the desk being lame?

And Sheep Go Bar I agree 1sts are very good and respect if you get one I definitely wouldnt say no to one but definitely dont deserve one. Im also not saying everyone who gets one is lame, like you say some people may just want to try hard and or have a passion for what they do I'm just saying its sometimes better not to get too hung up on getting a top grade at the sacrifice of your enjoyment and fun at uni.

No, the getting A instead of A* and spending my time having fun thing. I pretty much slack most of the year and just enjoy myself up until exam times, revise my ass of for a few weeks and get good grades (albeit if I worked even a little throughout the year I could get top grades). Doesn't matter too much to me though, as long as I get a good degree and work, who cares about the details, I've enjoyed myself.

You'd be surprised how often I've heard that one as well.

Also, given that so few people achieve a 'First', the 2:1 is almost just as useful given that if companies only took graduates with Firsts there would be a huge gap in the labour market. Hence, the 2:1 is considered the 'gold standard' for most employers (making the First a platinum I suppose?).
I've heard a lot of people also say that some companies even prefer 2:1's to 1sts as it shows people have both intelligence and personality

And it's usually people with 2:1s that push this rumour.

Latest