The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:cry2:

above, not before...
Reply 7821
Original post by Bezzler
That seems like a pointless incentive - surely the people who make the difference will (for the most part) have left?

It was more of a joke made by the Dean when the JCR asked for extended opening hours.
Original post by dinkymints
above, not before...

Ah that's OK then :awesome:
I've just come back from an OxFizz interview training day. My plans of being an Oxford interviewer are coming true... without having to do the PhD or go back there :woo: :colone: :woo:
Reply 7824
I'm looking to network with people at Oxford University who are part of the Labour Party and anyone attending Labour's annual conference in September 2011.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7825
Oh, the point of the vac where you realise that you physically can't do all the work you've got set in the number of hours you have left...oddly it makes the impulse not to work even stronger!
Reply 7826
Original post by EdmundB
Oh, the point of the vac where you realise that you physically can't do all the work you've got set in the number of hours you have left...oddly it makes the impulse not to work even stronger!

Hmm. The little amount I've been set just makes me more worried about what's waiting for me when I get back. :s-smilie:
Oh god retake this morning, I honestly think this could be another epic fail...
Original post by tuesday91

Good luck!

You do physics right?

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by Incarnadine91
Good luck!

Original post by wind-swept
You do physics right?

Best of luck :smile:

Thanks both of you! Yeah I'm a physicist, and it definitely went better this time than the first time round so fingers crossed...
Thanks both of you! Yeah I'm a physicist, and it definitely went better this time than the first time round so fingers crossed...

To be honest the June papers were so horrific it would be inhumane of them not to be a little nicer this time...
Was this morning your only one?

Ah yeah, I heard about those papers. Glad you feel better about it, that's always a good sign. :smile:
Slightly off topic - but does anyone find this board really tiring?

I used to like helping people, to the best of my ability, with their applications/any queries. Now I just find all the stress about a B at AS Level, or only 6 A*s at GCSE really wearing. I suppose it partially is just this time of year.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I never built Oxford up to be anything that great. I suppose I didn't have any grade stress. I put it on my UCAS form, did some prep and got an interview. Then was told I didn't have an interview. Then told they'd made another mistake and I did have one. By which point I thought they were doing it out of pity, so stopped working for it and didn't stress about it (apart from what to wear!). Then I got an offer. I nearly turned it down. Then I got my grades. I nearly turned it down again. Then I got here and it wasn't exactly great. But then it got good and I love it...

Anyway I worry for some of the posters on here. They build it up to be such a big deal, when soon it'll all seem trivial. Regardless of whether they are accepted or not.

I just feel some of them need it drilled into their heads that their grades are not the most important part of their application. That they need to show their 'passion' and that they can succeed beyond the relatively uniform nature of A Levels (you're taught something. you learn it. you regurgitate it in exams).

Anyhow rant over.

Hope everyone's enjoying their vac!
Reply 7834
Original post by Poppyxx
Slightly off topic - but does anyone find this board really tiring?

I used to like helping people, to the best of my ability, with their applications/any queries. Now I just find all the stress about a B at AS Level, or only 6 A*s at GCSE really wearing. I suppose it partially is just this time of year.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I never built Oxford up to be anything that great. I suppose I didn't have any grade stress. I put it on my UCAS form, did some prep and got an interview. Then was told I didn't have an interview. Then told they'd made another mistake and I did have one. By which point I thought they were doing it out of pity, so stopped working for it and didn't stress about it (apart from what to wear!). Then I got an offer. I nearly turned it down. Then I got my grades. I nearly turned it down again. Then I got here and it wasn't exactly great. But then it got good and I love it...

Anyway I worry for some of the posters on here. They build it up to be such a big deal, when soon it'll all seem trivial. Regardless of whether they are accepted or not.

I just feel some of them need it drilled into their heads that their grades are not the most important part of their application. That they need to show their 'passion' and that they can succeed beyond the relatively uniform nature of A Levels (you're taught something. you learn it. you regurgitate it in exams).

Anyhow rant over.

Hope everyone's enjoying their vac!

Yeah, I know how you feel, I do just want to yell at some of these posters sometimes. I just rest assured in the knowledge that, even with our kind advice, most of them won't get in anyway.

The thing that's annoying me more at the moment is the Merton incoming freshers group on facebook; some of them are really really weird and ask the most stupid, pointless questions (for example, "Should I bring a lamp?", "How much will I have to pay for transport to lectures?", "How far is Merton from the shops? Could someone post a map here?")
Reply 7835
I get annoyed when someone clearly hasn't looked on the university website before posting here.

Spoiler

Reply 7836
I didn't bring a lamp when I came up as a fresher... did this ruin my time at Oxford?
Reply 7837
Original post by cpchem
I didn't bring a lamp when I came up as a fresher... did this ruin my time at Oxford?

Depends...were you able to navigate your way to the nearest shop to buy one without being provided with a detailed map a month before you got here?
Reply 7838
The route from Balliol to Boswells is actually so tricky that I had to have Amazon deliver me a GPS before I dared to go any further than the porters' lodge.
Original post by cpchem

Original post by cpchem
The route from Balliol to Boswells is actually so tricky that I had to have Amazon deliver me a GPS before I dared to go any further than the porters' lodge.

Hmmm, still sounds a bit risky. To be safe, I would have just had them next-day delivered to college.