The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by StrawberryKoi
That's what I did, surely we won't lose a mark for simplifying it further :K: I hope

yeah I wouldnt think so! well hope not, how did you do besides that?
Original post by Jetblast

If they can't see anything in pencil they request the actual copy of the paper and mark it from that. Also, my teacher said they follow the principle of stop marking once the answers reached, so any un-necessary simplifying, right or wrong, should be ignored.
Reply 62
Will I lose 1 mark for not simplifying 1(b)? I forgot to cancel the x squared out.
Original post by CharrrrxD
yeah I wouldnt think so! well hope not, how did you do besides that?

I think the rest of it was okay, except the last question which I struggled with for a good 20 minutes or so, but I think I got there in the end. I used the second method Arsey used for 8c.

At school I kept asking people if anyone else had used the quadratic formula as well but all I got was blank faces haha, pretty discouraging.

How did you find it?
Reply 64
Original post by StrawberryKoi
I think the rest of it was okay, except the last question which I struggled with for a good 20 minutes or so, but I think I got there in the end. I used the second method Arsey used for 8c.

At school I kept asking people if anyone else had used the quadratic formula as well but all I got was blank faces haha, pretty discouraging.

How did you find it?

Yeah the last question was hard, I just stared at 8a for ages then it clicked phew!
I found it ok, its just those other 2 mistakes I put before! Kinda silly and annoying. Just hoping I may gain a couple of method marks somewhere along the way - if we dont get penalised for taking out the x then the worst I got is 68, just gotta hope thats good enough for 90ums or that I do get a couple of method marks from my silly mistakes (yn)
Arsey always uploads the solutions then runs off to bed grrr

jkjk we love you no homes
Reply 66
Original post by Expendable
If they can't see anything in pencil they request the actual copy of the paper and mark it from that. Also, my teacher said they follow the principle of stop marking once the answers reached, so any un-necessary simplifying, right or wrong, should be ignored.

I really hope you're right!(About the stop marking once ans reached)
+1
Original post by CharrrrxD
Yeah the last question was hard, I just stared at 8a for ages then it clicked phew!
I found it ok, its just those other 2 mistakes I put before! Kinda silly and annoying. Just hoping I may gain a couple of method marks somewhere along the way - if we dont get penalised for taking out the x then the worst I got is 68, just gotta hope thats good enough for 90ums or that I do get a couple of method marks from my silly mistakes (yn)

I do hope Arsey will get back to us about the simplifying thing. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get that A*! Not looking forward to results day though
Reply 68
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
Reasonable paper I thought

two questions:
for the domain do you need xER as well as x>0

for question 6d you have to sub the values into (3+sin(1/2x)/2))-x
this sort of question came up in june 2006
Reply 69
Ahhhhh i left t=28 such a silly mistake.

And that last part where you had to show that the x co-ord was 1.9078 just wasnt working out for me!

Other than that i was fine, i reckon 70 or 71 from the 75
Original post by Scott.M
UMS 100 90 80 70 60 50 40

Jan-09 75 68 60 52 44 36 29
Jun-09 75 71 67 59 52 45 38
Jan-10 73 66 59 52 45 39 33
Jun-10 75 69 62 55 48 41 34
Jan-11 75 68 61 53 45 38 31
June-11 75 70 65 58 51 44 37

Those are the UMS for the previous C3 exams, dunno if that helps maybe someone can remember the past papers and how hard they were compared to this one.

I think i got 66, 67 or 68 marks (depending on if you get a mark for 28 minutes instead of 12:28 and if I get a method mark for 8c), hoping it's an A* if not hoping for a high A which i can drag up to an A* if i do really well in C4. :P

I dont know about anyone else but i found this paper comparatively much harder than both June and Jan 2011, as this paper had many more trickier questions than the last two papers..so hoping boundaries are around 68:smile:..how did u find the paper?
I think

someone clearly got 73 and is offended
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I think

just to be clear your predicting a minus one mark from 75(74) as an a*?? Isn't that pretty high??
Reply 73
74 (stupid t=28)
Original post by Ellis246
just to be clear your predicting a minus one mark from 75(74) as an a*?? Isn't that pretty high??

74=100
Original post by ha7493
Ahhhhh i left t=28 such a silly mistake.

And that last part where you had to show that the x co-ord was 1.9078 just wasnt working out for me!

Other than that i was fine, i reckon 70 or 71 from the 75

I made the same mistake with the 1.9078, apparently we were supposed to substitute 1.90775 and 1.90785 into f'(x) :colondollar:
Reply 76
Original post by Ellis246
what on earth? why again 74 as an a*? I mean honestly? Is it really going to be that high??

For 100 UMS

sorry :colondollar:
lol come on now, would they really make 1 mark = 10ums
Reply 78
Original post by dude345
For 100 UMS

sorry :colondollar:

nah nahh, its my fault, someone else told me that i only just saw the post :P got me soo worried there! okay, so does that mean ur predicting the next number down as 80 UMS etc?
Reply 79
Original post by Kenan and Kel
74=100

ah, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending