The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jbt757
There's an awful lot regarding the ornothological and other wildlife presence in the bay (infact, 2 pages) - it's not there for the laugh so surly they're going to heavily dwell on it? (considering there's 2 pages worth).

Anybody have any presumptions how they could ask about this?

Some content is by nature more wordy than other content, just because there's a lot of writing about it that doesn't mean there will be a lot of questions. Quite a lot of it is just babble really with not a lot to read into.
Reply 81
So, how is everybody feeling about the exam? Does everybody feel really confident about this? Or are some people still a bit scared of not knowing what exactly is going to come up? :smile:
Original post by d_aan

Original post by d_aan
I wouldn't worry too much about Mann Whitney, our class spent two minutes on it and decided it is very unlikely it's going to come up. Although he said chi squared or the chi squared contingency test may come up?

Yeah that sounds like a great idea!

Statistic

Data representation- Choropleth/Pie/Bar

Eco/Soc VS Environmental costs

Twin Sails Bridge -Is it worth it?

Fieldwork

Appropriate Assessment - is it adequate enough?

Thats essentially the list my teacher has told me to revise, and i think it covers most of the questions they could ask?

for the fieldwork would you talk about planning/risk assessment/sample method and size, questionnaires, interviews, traffic count??

and for appropriate assessment what do you mean adequate enough? as in what they are doing to protect the widelife is not good enough?
Reply 83
Anyone know the physical factors affecting regeneration in Poole? :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by sekachun
Has anyone got any other similar case study like Poole to refer to when answering the questions? I saw on the mark scheme for the zigzag booklet they would ask us some wider evidence of wider research and clear evidence of 'synopticity'

Similar case study like what they include in the assessment but Poole didn't or any clearly successful case?

just feel panic about this exam as our school has not done much on it ....................

The best i can come up with is the Millenium Bridge in Gateshead as a similar flagship Bridge development....also there are a few things about the regeneration of Glasgow that you might be able to draw on as an example :smile:
This exam is gonna go so badly..

I found looking through the examiners notes from previous exams quite helpful, although obviously the questions were on a different topic so not all of the comments were useful.
Reply 86
Original post by emilysadlerx
for the fieldwork would you talk about planning/risk assessment/sample method and size, questionnaires, interviews, traffic count??

and for appropriate assessment what do you mean adequate enough? as in what they are doing to protect the widelife is not good enough?

Yup exactly what you've just said :smile:, for the fieldwork we've talked about all the things you listed, though we haven't done much on questionnaires.

So in the AIB, you look at one of the measures such as risk assessment to stop contamination. You'd say it's good as everything is accounted for BUT on the other hand it's only a risk assessment and these take time to develop and incorporate.
Reply 87
If anyone can get a hold of the Zigzag booklet just use that to revise for the exam. There is more than enough information and resources from that to guarantee you a good grade in 4B.
hi,
for the choropleth map showing population density, does anyone know what they'd split the numbers into?
the range is from 4.42-53.24 so how would you split that into different shades?
thanks
Reply 89
Original post by Oliver_drummer
hi,
for the choropleth map showing population density, does anyone know what they'd split the numbers into?
the range is from 4.42-53.24 so how would you split that into different shades?
thanks

keep it simple, need about 5-6 shades for a choloropleth map so..

0-9.9
20-29.9
30-39.9
40-49.9
50+
Reply 90
Does anyone know of any developments that were similar to Poole development. I know of different developments but we didn't go through in class of other similar examples to poole
Reply 91
when is this exam tomorrow or day after?
I am not looking forward to this exam. Have a Chemistry exam tomorrow worth 50% of this year D: But still paranoid about Geography :L
One of my teachers emailed the chief examiner, and he said that anything that is hinted at in the pre-release is there for a reason ie. the specific mention of fieldwork on traffic for example is there because they're probably going to ask a question on it. In regards to skills, my teacher thinks a chloropleth map will be most likely, although some statistical analysis might come up (Spearman's rank most probably, she thinks Chi squared and Mann-Whittney are very unlikely), there'll probably be some advantages/disadvantages stuff, and a response to the Appropriate Assessment. None of this is a certainty obviously, just thought I'd share it :smile:
can lorries use both bridges, or just one/which one?
Reply 95
Original post by lukas1051
One of my teachers emailed the chief examiner, and he said that anything that is hinted at in the pre-release is there for a reason ie. the specific mention of fieldwork on traffic for example is there because they're probably going to ask a question on it. In regards to skills, my teacher thinks a chloropleth map will be most likely, although some statistical analysis might come up (Spearman's rank most probably, she thinks Chi squared and Mann-Whittney are very unlikely), there'll probably be some advantages/disadvantages stuff, and a response to the Appropriate Assessment. None of this is a certainty obviously, just thought I'd share it :smile:

This is exactly what my teacher has said as well!
Original post by wasuuuuuuuuuuuppp
can lorries use both bridges, or just one/which one?

One of the reasons for building the bridge is so juggernauts can use it as I don't think trucks over a certain weight can use the current one. Perhaps that's something to take into account when conducting a traffic survey?
Original post by d_aan

Original post by d_aan
This is exactly what my teacher has said as well!

i just dont even know what to say about the appropriate assessment :s-smilie: yeah they looked into the widelife so constructed fences. thats all i know and apparently something about building mounts and the bridge being low so widelife cannot see? haha i dont knowwwww :frown:
Reply 98
I've given up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EAh8qKZ4QA&feature=youtu.be

not so protective of the birds back then were they?!

Quick Reply