The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

I'm going to Aberystwyth University! Who else is?

I'm all buzzed up at the moment as i've just accepted Aberystwyth University as my firm choice! I'm studying Film & Television.

I actually accepted Aberystwyth before even visiting :wink: So I really hope I haven't made a mistake! However, I've done nothing for the past 3 months but research into it and I'm confident it is where I want to go! I'll be moving from Plymouth so it's a huge step! So nervous!

Any one else going to Aberystwyth University? All I'm worried about now is getting into Rosser accommodation :frown: It sucks that they're not very well equipped with on-suite facilities!!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I just moved this as it seemed to be posted in the wrong forum.

Not to worry, but thought you should know we have an Aber uni forum you might want to check out!
This thread is now in the Aber uni forum but click here to see the rest of the forum :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Oops! New to this site, thank you!
Reply 3
yeah im firming it on a level results in march! studying politics. and yeah same as you, i really wanna get into rosser, its the best one out of the ones i saw but theres limited places
Yes, I am most likely as well, but I am transferring from my university college in Norway into second year History at Aber.
Looking forward to a new experience and a wholly new system of exams and teaching than what I am used to (not to mention the cultural changes :smile:).
Just waiting for the other universities to give their answers before I can firm Aber.
Reply 5
Original post by Destina93
I'm all buzzed up at the moment as i've just accepted Aberystwyth University as my firm choice! I'm studying Film & Television.

I actually accepted Aberystwyth before even visiting :wink: So I really hope I haven't made a mistake! However, I've done nothing for the past 3 months but research into it and I'm confident it is where I want to go! I'll be moving from Plymouth so it's a huge step! So nervous!

Any one else going to Aberystwyth University? All I'm worried about now is getting into Rosser accommodation :frown: It sucks that they're not very well equipped with on-suite facilities!!

Hi :smile: I'm hoping to go to Aberystwyth too... I also am interested in Rosser :tongue: however, the rooms are pretty small in Rosser apparently so I think you have to compromise if you want your own shower.

I haven't been to an Open Day yet (going on 3rd March) but so far I've heard great things about Aberystwyth and it's really appealed to me, so I'm pretty certain I am going to firm it :smile:

The only negative thing I have heard about Aber is that it is very hard to get accommodation in the second year as the university already accepts far too many students. But as long as we apply early, we should be okay :smile:
Reply 6
I knew someone who had a room in Rosser, and the shower really does take up a lot of space. But I found having an en-suite in first year helped me to get into the whole living with people I didn't know thing! I was in Alexandra Halls, which I would recommend as a hall choice if you'd rather be in town (plus the seafront halls tend to have bigger rooms). It means you have to tackle the hill for lectures, but being in town was great for everything else in my opinion.
I firmed without visiting as well! :biggrin:
Visited the geography apartment today and absolutely loved it!
Hopefully I'll get in to study Physical Geography with Maths next year, everything crossed :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Jabberwox
Hi :smile: I'm hoping to go to Aberystwyth too... I also am interested in Rosser :tongue: however, the rooms are pretty small in Rosser apparently so I think you have to compromise if you want your own shower.

I haven't been to an Open Day yet (going on 3rd March) but so far I've heard great things about Aberystwyth and it's really appealed to me, so I'm pretty certain I am going to firm it :smile:

The only negative thing I have heard about Aber is that it is very hard to get accommodation in the second year as the university already accepts far too many students. But as long as we apply early, we should be okay :smile:

If you want accommodation in 2nd year you are much better off going into the private sector for a year as getting a halls place is unlikely due to 1st and final year students being prioritised.
For private accom you want to find a house by October-November as they go quick! You can go through estate agents or find private landlords on Aber's accom page, if you leave it until after christmas it will become difficult to find anywhere decent and almost impossible to find anywhere at all after feb :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Destina93

I wouldn't worry too much about having an en-suite, I was worried before I came as I stayed in Cwrt Mawr, but believe me after about a week no one cared at all! En-suite would have been a mass waste of money and less bedroom space...
Reply 10
Original post by userdloat
For private accom you want to find a house by October-November as they go quick! You can go through estate agents or find private landlords on Aber's accom page, if you leave it until after christmas it will become difficult to find anywhere decent and almost impossible to find anywhere at all after feb :smile:

I disagree - I sorted out my flat for next year this week (well, there's still a little bit of paperwork to do.) It is good to get in early though. However, the Guild ran a campaign this year called "Fools Rush In" to try and curb the tide of 1st years who try to get accomm really early and then end up getting ripped off (the private landlords can be BRUTAL around here, mostly because they can due to the fact they essentially have a captive market). But saying that, if you want a house with, say, 5-7 rooms then you will need to get in le early!

Original post by connoryay
yeah im firming it on a level results in march! studying politics.

Great choice! I'm in my first year of InterPol and the dept is brilliant. Just wait until you have Foley and Lucy Taylor for lectures, :biggrin:. You should love it.
I doubt I'll get anything, but I'm waiting for the results of the Scholarship exams to be released. After that I'll be firming Aber. :smile:
Original post by Aek-94
I doubt I'll get anything, but I'm waiting for the results of the Scholarship exams to be released. After that I'll be firming Aber. :smile:

Me too!
Do you know when the results are published?
Original post by PinkyPurply
Me too!
Do you know when the results are published?

I asked this before on another thread. It's any time between the middle and end of this month. :smile:
Firmed last night :biggrin:
Original post by Aek-94
I asked this before on another thread. It's any time between the middle and end of this month. :smile:

brill, thank you :smile:
I firmed abber a few weeks ago, like others just waiting on scholarship exam resluts to see if i get an unconditional or not!
Reply 17
Congrats on getting offers from Aber you guys. The scholarship results were out 22nd of March last year so good luck :smile:

I completely agree about accommodation though, get in early if you can. I got mine sorted by the start of December and that was late for Aber standards but push comes to shove you will find somewhere. As for the university accommodation - I wouldn't worry too much about where you are. From what I've seen of it it's all nice however you may want to bare in mind that PJM houses are for 7,8 or 9 people this year so they'll have from 1-3 bunk rooms in as the houses are originally designed for 5-6 people. I bunked for part of last year though and it was surprisingly ok :smile:
I went to one of the open days in February and absolutely loved it! Thankfully I did the scholarship exam and got an unconditional offer so failing psychology isn't a major thing anymore :smile: I'm going to do English & Creative Writing. Was any one else lucky enough to get an unconditional?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Getting more and more excited for Aber :biggrin:

Quick Reply