The Student Room Group

Baltic Partnership

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Following recent developments the Secretariat has decided to withdraw the invitation to Russia to join the Partnership.

Initial Report on Russia's anti-gay bill

The Partnership under the news of the legislative assembly approving, in its first reading, a bill which outlawed the promotion of homosexuality, transsexuality and paedophilia to minors- the Partnership was forced to remove the invitation. Further details of the bill include administrative fines for the propaganda of homosexuality, transsexuality and paedophilia but it does not explain what "propaganda" actually means.

The Bill has not yet become law in Russia its very presence is in conflict with the values of the Partnership and fails to reflect the harmless aspirations and feelings of millions of people. Russia is trying to reignite the failed policies of control as was seen in the old USSR. We cannot accept this contradiction of values and urge the United Nations to take action against this wholly unacceptable move by a member of the Security Council.
Reply 61
The Baltic Partnership is looking for a new Secretariat. With engagement of only one nation the upkeep of the Partnership is impossible. Without any other member state taking a role, Latvia admits that the group will have to dissolve.

Secretariat
Japan believes that the Baltic Partnership is an important institution within the UN, and hopes that it shall not dissolve.

OOC: shame. I initially applied for Denmark because it was part of a partnership, and wouldn't have minded Finland too...
Reply 63
The European Union would like to be involved in this group.

9 Members are also Members of the European Union. Latvia, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Finland, Germany, Poland, Estonia and Lithuania
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
The Secretariat is very grateful to the support from Japan and the European Union. The European Union remains the most important organisation of which the Partnership is affiliated and we continue to hope for the Partnership and Union to come to mutual agreements on issues of global importance. The Partnership has so far been party to declarations of Palestinian membership of the GA and a internal report on Russia's anti-gay legislation and we hope for cooperation on those fields.

Japan remains a key trading partner to the Baltic states with German trade to Japan being hugely important for European growth in general. We look forward to working with you especially in the sphere of cooperation against further militarisation of the Korean peninsula.

Nevertheless, the Partnership needs another Secretariat as Latvia, the founding member has overstayed its tenure by a term just to keep this organisation alive.
Japan appreciates the Secretariat's words, and hopes that other members shall keep the partnership not just alive but active.

OOC: if I didn't have Japan I'd probably take Finland or Lithuainia (I think they're free) and join in, but I'm new and Japan is quite active :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by frankayak
The Baltic Partnership is looking for a new Secretariat. With engagement of only one nation the upkeep of the Partnership is impossible. Without any other member state taking a role, Latvia admits that the group will have to dissolve.

Secretariat

[ooc] Apologies, I've been a little busy in the last few days so I've only just seen this. I'm going to be sending out an update very soon so I'll be including this :yy: [/ooc]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
The European Union welcomes the comments from Latvia and supports the idea of closer cooperation on areas.
Reply 68
As an emergency precaution the Partnership has been put into recess indefinitely until a member state can take up the Secretariat of the organisation. Latvia will remain an active member but feels that another country should take up the role.

[ooc]great opportunity being lost here members [/ooc]
As an emergency precaution the Partnership has been put into recess indefinitely until a member state can take up the Secretariat of the organisation. Latvia will remain an active member but feels that another country should take up the role.

[ooc]great opportunity being lost here members [/ooc]

[ooc] Why not just remain as Secretariat yourself for now? Even though you are over your term length, since there is no replacement you may as well stay on until someone else is avaliable to take over. That way the Baltic Partnership can still continue. [/ooc]
Reply 70
The US hopes the Baltic Partnership can bring about a more stable European economy and trade balance against East Asian competition.
Reply 71
There will be no replacement and Latvia is disapointed that fellow members have failed to live upto their membership commitments. The Partnership remains suspended.
Japan is sad to hear of this, and is somewhat confused at some members lack of activity concerning the Partnership.

OOC: tempted to take Finland and try to make it more active now...
Reply 73
Suspension Review of the 31st April 2012

The Ex Secretariat and still the only member who responds to be global community in wanting this Partnership to function decided recently that the Partnership be suspended. Following emergency powers which require reviews of the suspension it has been decided that the Partnership will remain in suspension but will remain open for new interested nations. Latvia simply cannot continue to uphold the mission of the Partnership without the continued focus and support of the remaining members and is in no state to ignite the passion for liberty and democracy worldwide when the organisation is stilted by one member. We urge the Secretary General to make this part of his next update to members and urges all disaffected members to rejoin the debate and workings of our unique and special Partnership.

Suspension will again be reviewed as required when a new development comes to light. End.
Suspension Review of the 31st April 2012

The Ex Secretariat and still the only member who responds to be global community in wanting this Partnership to function decided recently that the Partnership be suspended. Following emergency powers which require reviews of the suspension it has been decided that the Partnership will remain in suspension but will remain open for new interested nations. Latvia simply cannot continue to uphold the mission of the Partnership without the continued focus and support of the remaining members and is in no state to ignite the passion for liberty and democracy worldwide when the organisation is stilted by one member. We urge the Secretary General to make this part of his next update to members and urges all disaffected members to rejoin the debate and workings of our unique and special Partnership.

Suspension will again be reviewed as required when a new development comes to light. End.

Tunisia would suggest that in the current situation a special exemption from the rules be made, and would ask that Observer states be allowed to chair the partnership.
Reply 75
Latvia is willing for Tunisia to chair the Partnership as an observer member. Latvia will continue its role as an active and engaging member of the Partnership and looks to work with Tunisia on key issues where they is a lot at stake.
Latvia is willing for Tunisia to chair the Partnership as an observer member. Latvia will continue its role as an active and engaging member of the Partnership and looks to work with Tunisia on key issues where they is a lot at stake.

Just to inform the representative of Latvia, we now have a new representative for Finland.

DebatingGreg
QFA
Finland is hopeful that it shall play an active part in the coming months, alongside Latvia, Tunisia, and one can only hope other member states.

Finland looks forward to the first Observer State chairing the partnership, Tunisia.
(edited 11 years ago)
[OOC] Despite my low level of activity on the MUN, it's one of the areas in which I hope to improve. So although my actions as Denmark representative were hardly impressive, I wish to amend that. [OOC]

Could one possibly request the inclusion of Iceland as an observer member? We have very close relations with some members such as Denmark and Finland and feel like our unique output will be invaluable in this partnership.
Original post by HarveyCanis
[OOC] Despite my low level of activity on the MUN, it's one of the areas in which I hope to improve. So although my actions as Denmark representative were hardly impressive, I wish to amend that. [OOC]

Could one possibly request the inclusion of Iceland as an observer member? We have very close relations with some members such as Denmark and Finland and feel like our unique output will be invaluable in this partnership.

Finland would be of full support of Iceland becoming an Observer State. Finland considers it to be a key partner in Scandinavian and Baltic affairs.

Quick Reply

Latest