The Student Room Group

Applying to LSE while I'm at Imperial?

I initially wanted to do a Maths degree at university, but after finding out that its completely different to the style of A-level at university, i went for a degree with most applied maths in this case Physics. I now have an offer from Imperial.

However, during the course of this year, i discovered that LSE's Maths and Econ courses is what i want to do. It too is also quite applied.Right now, i don't have any good plans for a gap year (haven't applied to any jobs etc.) so i am thinking of going to Imperial for a year and applying to LSE from there. I was wondering:

-Will i be disadvantaged because LSE will see that i am at Imperial and will think that i am not committed enough to my subject and they don't look favorably at me because they view me as hijacking someone's place at university ? Do you think its better if i take a gap year instead?

-On my personal statement, will i need to mention why i am making this change?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think you will be disadvantaged from LSE if you make it clear the reason's why you chose to leave Imperial. You don't need to mention it on your PS, although you can write whatever you choose.
Reply 2
Since you know now you don't want to stay at Imperial it would be silly to go. You're getting into a lot of debt for nothing. You'll have your tuition fees, your maintenance loan and also your overdraft - which will add up to quite a lot! You're also using one year of your funding for student finance, so if you then realise the course at LSE isn't for you you're screwed.

Also, LSE is very competitive to get into so there's no guarantee this will actually work, and as you'll be studying at Imperial you won't have much time to focus on making a great application.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
Since you know now you don't want to stay at Imperial it would be silly to go. You're getting into a lot of debt for nothing. You'll have your tuition fees, your maintenance loan and also your overdraft - which will add up to quite a lot! You're also using one year of your funding for student finance, so if you then realise the course at LSE isn't for you you're screwed.

Also, LSE is very competitive to get into so there's no guarantee this will actually work, and as you'll be studying at Imperial you won't have much time to focus on making a great application.

i'm an international student and my parents are financially prepared to finance everything without taking out loans etc.

What i am concerned with is however, whether i will be disadvantaged because LSE will think that i am not committed to my subject or whether they don't view applicants applying from a first year at university favorably.
Reply 4
Original post by Ruvermillion
i'm an international student and my parents are financially prepared to finance everything without taking out loans etc.

What i am concerned with is however, whether i will be disadvantaged because LSE will think that i am not committed to my subject or whether they don't view applicants applying from a first year at university favorably.

Call up LSE and ask them. Nobody here knows whether they you will be at a disadvantage or not.

Phone number can be found on their website.
Reply 5

So you're prepared to waste over £10k of your parents' money?

If you look around the LSE site you will find that students at other unis are allowed to apply, however they say that they make most of their offers to people who have not experienced uni yet. This may just be because most people don't have such silly ideas, but may imply they don't like it.

Not only will you have to fork out £10,000 there and then, but there are also accommodation costs, food, transports (whilst subsidised by TFL heavily) is by no means cheap - even with a travelcard, you're likely to pay up to £80 a month on travel around London. As you're an international student, factor in flights to and from home during the vacations, and you're quite quickly coming to a figure of around £20,000 for one year, for nothing? You would be much better off staying wherever you are now for another year and reapplying, for the sake of money and the risk that you might not actually get into LSE. Going to Imperial for one year when you are quite clear you won't be staying or graduating is quite strange.

When I last checked outside, the world hadn't gone mad, but sometimes I do wonder...
I think a fair few people get kicked out of LSE because they can't keep up at the end of year 1. So there should be space for a transfer, best thing is to contact the uni, however, don't reveal yourself as having an intention of leaving. Tbh, don't go to imperial. people who transfer are generally those who are not happy with their course/uni. Transfers are NEVER planned I don't think...
Reply 8
Original post by victoryshinesonus
I think a fair few people get kicked out of LSE because they can't keep up at the end of year 1. So there should be space for a transfer, best thing is to contact the uni, however, don't reveal yourself as having an intention of leaving. Tbh, don't go to imperial. people who transfer are generally those who are not happy with their course/uni. Transfers are NEVER planned I don't think...

LSE only do transfers in "exceptional circumstances". Also, the subjects at the 2 unis would have to be the same, which for the OP they're not. Unis also expect students to leave, so expect their 2nd year group to be smaller than their 1st years.
Original post by Juno
LSE only do transfers in "exceptional circumstances". Also, the subjects at the 2 unis would have to be the same, which for the OP they're not. Unis also expect students to leave, so expect their 2nd year group to be smaller than their 1st years.

Oh right. Well OP would be wasting money starting off at imperial. Tbh it's just completely silly :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Oh right. Well OP would be wasting money starting off at imperial. Tbh it's just completely silly :tongue:

up. Even if it takes them a few months to get a job they can still work for half a year, which would get some money and experience - and then when you include the cost of the wasted year at Imperial, the potential "earnings" from the job rises.
Original post by Juno
up. Even if it takes them a few months to get a job they can still work for half a year, which would get some money and experience - and then when you include the cost of the wasted year at Imperial, the potential "earnings" from the job rises.

Yeah, also, if he has an offer from Imperial, he's like to have A*AA at the very least, so getting work shouldn't be an issue, he may even get office work or something higher up than waiter/shop work if he's lucky.

But yeah, OP, save yourself heartache when LSE don't accept you, just apply again for 2013 1st year entry :tongue: Maybe do voluntary work and then relate it back round to welfare economics? and say you want a grasp to improve equality? haha :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
So you're prepared to waste over £10k of your parents' money?

If you look around the LSE site you will find that students at other unis are allowed to apply, however they say that they make most of their offers to people who have not experienced uni yet. This may just be because most people don't have such silly ideas, but may imply they don't like it.

where on the site is this?
Reply 13

Sigh.
Reply 14
Original post by M1011
Sigh.

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to boast
Reply 15
I don't seem to be able to find lse' email address?..i would like to clarify certain issues on their post, they didn't get the fact right for some overseas certification. I need to send them those information?

anyone care to help?
Reply 16
I found it..
To be honest, why don't you phone up Imperial and ask to switch course, if you get the required entry grades they'll probably let you if you really put forward your case to do Maths.

At the end of the day the decision is yours, if you think money isn't a problem having LSE and Imperial down on your CV will catch any employers eyes. But I don't think you should pass up the opportunity at Imperial, you've done well to get an offer many do not and there is no guarantee LSE will give you an offer next year anyway because of how competitive the places are.

I think 1) phone up ICL ask for a course switch 2) go to ICL to do Physics ( although if you say you want to do Maths they will most likely accept you post-results day) 3) apply again for 2013 entry with a decent PS and reference to LSE etc..

Edit: looked at ICl website they don't do econ and maths >.< doh! anyway my point still stands.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Casshern1456
To be honest, why don't you phone up Imperial and ask to switch course, if you get the required entry grades they'll probably let you if you really put forward your case to do Maths.

At the end of the day the decision is yours, if you think money isn't a problem having LSE and Imperial down on your CV will catch any employers eyes. But I don't think you should pass up the opportunity at Imperial, you've done well to get an offer many do not and there is no guarantee LSE will give you an offer next year anyway because of how competitive the places are.

I think 1) phone up ICL ask for a course switch 2) go to ICL to do Physics ( although if you say you want to do Maths they will most likely accept you post-results day) 3) apply again for 2013 entry with a decent PS and reference to LSE etc..

Edit: looked at ICl website they don't do econ and maths >.< doh! anyway my point still stands.

Thanks for the response. Yea i do see what people mean by wasting money for a year at Imperial. Thing is, i don't really have a solid plan for a gap year so rather than just sit at home, i don't want my skills to wain and would consider going to Imperial for a year.

My major concern is that LSE won't really like applicants applying while they are at university. Do you think this is a cause for concern? Although i don't know because Imperial and LSE specialize in different things so i don't know why it would bother them to much
Thanks for the response. Yea i do see what people mean by wasting money for a year at Imperial. Thing is, i don't really have a solid plan for a gap year so rather than just sit at home, i don't want my skills to wain and would consider going to Imperial for a year.

My major concern is that LSE won't really like applicants applying while they are at university. Do you think this is a cause for concern? Although i don't know because Imperial and LSE specialize in different things so i don't know why it would bother them to much

If you do phone up the LSE and ask about your situation they'll most likely give you a generic response saying "All candidates will be given equal consideration..." thing is, they don't know themselves, on paper you'll already have your A-levels(or whatever equivalent certification) and be at ICL one of the best unis in the country so they will assess if you will succeed on the course you are applying to. I think you shouldn't worry most of the things said ie "accepting first time appliers" are only a guideline in they're selection process, if you have the raw talent to do well they will give you an offer.

The fall-back plan, you still have Imperial if you don't get an offer from the LSE or anywhere else...but i'd say give Physics a chance, see if you like it and i know many people end up going into good professions banking, finance etc with a Physics degree so definitely give it a chance. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest