The Student Room Group

Anyone else taking the SATs on June 2nd?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by S119234
So glad to get that over and done with to say the least! :biggrin:

Original post by froodtotheboobs
I did the SAT Subject Test, and based on how that went I don't think I'll be studying in America! :smile: I was gutted to have to wake up at 5:45 to get to the thing!

It went decently. We didn't have a digital clock in our hall though, so the timing for the Essay was a bit of the pain, but other than that dshjghgjkldsgf.
19 days till results. :biggrin:
Original post by xAditi
It went decently. We didn't have a digital clock in our hall though, so the timing for the Essay was a bit of the pain, but other than that dshjghgjkldsgf.
19 days till results. :biggrin:

Great to hear! :smile:, Yeah, we were in a room with no clock and an inviligator who I honestly think had little idea what he was actually doing :biggrin: (he literally read everything from the "manual" he'd been provided with!, word for word, timings were all accurate etc but it just seemed peculiar!, I expected it to be a bit more organised tbh).

Yep, 19 days, strange how I have to wait nearly three months for my Higher results (exams in Scotland) from our qualification authority, yet can get them in only 19 days for the SAT!, suppose that's what you pay the lucrative test amounts for at the end of the day!
Reply 22
Original post by S119234
Great to hear! :smile:, Yeah, we were in a room with no clock and an inviligator who I honestly think had little idea what he was actually doing :biggrin: (he literally read everything from the "manual" he'd been provided with!, word for word, timings were all accurate etc but it just seemed peculiar!, I expected it to be a bit more organised tbh).

Yep, 19 days, strange how I have to wait nearly three months for my Higher results (exams in Scotland) from our qualification authority, yet can get them in only 19 days for the SAT!, suppose that's what you pay the lucrative test amounts for at the end of the day!

I hear you! The microphone our invigilator was using was really bad, and all I could hear was dgfhljkhaostartsdfjkgdfstop. She read from the manual as well. Perhaps this is protocol? I don't know. :P

I know! It was the same for my IGCSE grades. I feel all cool that they're coming so soon. It's probably because it's all just computer graded. What Year are you in?
Original post by xAditi
I hear you! The microphone our invigilator was using was really bad, and all I could hear was dgfhljkhaostartsdfjkgdfstop. She read from the manual as well. Perhaps this is protocol? I don't know. :P

I know! It was the same for my IGCSE grades. I feel all cool that they're coming so soon. It's probably because it's all just computer graded. What Year are you in?

Hahaha :biggrin:, I suspect it probably is, but he repeated literally everything, like "put your pencil down", "don't write anything now", "stay in your seat", , the whole thing at the end would last like 5 minutes before we started the next section, which is fine in the first few sections when you don't know the procedures etc, but when you're on the 7/8th one it drives you to insanity!. he also quite clearly had never done invigilating before with a SAT test.

It probably is because it is computer graded, yeah. I really find the format of the test rather annoying though, especially with the front page of the answer book, took me an absolute age to fill it out as it's definitely not designed for international candidates!, Also think that the American's tend to word questions a lot differently from the Brit's, which leads to those maths questions which really do boggle the mind! :smile:

I'm going into S6, so that's upper sixth I suppose in Sixth Form college terms. You ? :smile:
Original post by ququ-pops
I took them on the 5th of May dont worry, its not a big deal if you dont get what you want you can always re-sit it in october

I took them may 5th too and STILL don't have my results. ****ing boo.

I was going to take subject tests in english lit and biology but cba,
Reply 25
Original post by S119234
Hahaha :biggrin:, I suspect it probably is, but he repeated literally everything, like "put your pencil down", "don't write anything now", "stay in your seat", , the whole thing at the end would last like 5 minutes before we started the next section, which is fine in the first few sections when you don't know the procedures etc, but when you're on the 7/8th one it drives you to insanity!. he also quite clearly had never done invigilating before with a SAT test.

It probably is because it is computer graded, yeah. I really find the format of the test rather annoying though, especially with the front page of the answer book, took me an absolute age to fill it out as it's definitely not designed for international candidates!, Also think that the American's tend to word questions a lot differently from the Brit's, which leads to those maths questions which really do boggle the mind! :smile:

I'm going into S6, so that's upper sixth I suppose in Sixth Form college terms. You ? :smile:

Our invigilator did the same thing. Did you have a break after every two sections? I wanted to dance when they just did the last four sections continuously. Ah, I didn't have a problem with the language, probably because even though I have followed British English since I moved to India when I was 10, I learnt it the American way. The Maths questions are usually just really convoluted. Quite un-mathlike, to be perfectly honest.

I finished the 10th grade last November and will be starting the IB (11th grade) in July. So you will be applying to colleges in the next couple months?
Original post by xAditi
Our invigilator did the same thing. Did you have a break after every two sections? I wanted to dance when they just did the last four sections continuously. Ah, I didn't have a problem with the language, probably because even though I have followed British English since I moved to India when I was 10, I learnt it the American way. The Maths questions are usually just really convoluted. Quite un-mathlike, to be perfectly honest.

I finished the 10th grade last November and will be starting the IB (11th grade) in July. So you will be applying to colleges in the next couple months?

We did, which just dragged everything out and made the whole thing much longer, would have preferred to have a break maybe after 5 sections or something, but oh well. Yes, the questions are INCREDIBLY un-mathlike, they drove me to the point of insanity during practice tests as most of them are not too hard to answer, but just take so much thinking and linking of things, ahh!

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now. I just wanted to see how I did in the SAT, and if it's any good then I'll apply to American colleges, if it's rubbish then I'll probably stay in the UK and go to a uni there, not the end of the world :smile:, where you planning to apply ?
Reply 27
Original post by S119234
We did, which just dragged everything out and made the whole thing much longer, would have preferred to have a break maybe after 5 sections or something, but oh well. Yes, the questions are INCREDIBLY un-mathlike, they drove me to the point of insanity during practice tests as most of them are not too hard to answer, but just take so much thinking and linking of things, ahh!

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now. I just wanted to see how I did in the SAT, and if it's any good then I'll apply to American colleges, if it's rubbish then I'll probably stay in the UK and go to a uni there, not the end of the world :smile:, where you planning to apply ?

I agree! If there was like one 10 minute break right at the half-way point it would've been much quicker. Our test only ended at 1:30, 45 minutes late!
I guess the lack of clarity in the Maths has to do with the test being an Aptitude one, and not a pure Maths exam. I don't think that the Math Subject Test has as much English in it as the SAT I. :P
I don't know where all I'm applying yet, because I still have a little over a year to decide! But Stanford, MIT, and Harvard are all on the list. (HA I'm not getting in anywhere. :P ) Where all in the UK are you going to be applying?
Original post by xAditi
I agree! If there was like one 10 minute break right at the half-way point it would've been much quicker. Our test only ended at 1:30, 45 minutes late!
I guess the lack of clarity in the Maths has to do with the test being an Aptitude one, and not a pure Maths exam. I don't think that the Math Subject Test has as much English in it as the SAT I. :P
I don't know where all I'm applying yet, because I still have a little over a year to decide! But Stanford, MIT, and Harvard are all on the list. (HA I'm not getting in anywhere. :P ) Where all in the UK are you going to be applying?

Very excellent selection!, I'm sure if the results come back and you're happy with them then you've got every chance of getting into the top universities! :smile:

Thinking down south in London, many Kings College or University College London to do History, what would you be planning to major in ?
Reply 29
Original post by S119234
Very excellent selection!, I'm sure if the results come back and you're happy with them then you've got every chance of getting into the top universities! :smile:

Thinking down south in London, many Kings College or University College London to do History, what would you be planning to major in ?

I hope so! I really don't want to have to retake them. :frown:

I've heard only good things about both those schools. Best of luck to you! I'll probably be majoring in either Chemistry or Maths, hopefully with a minor in French. :smile:

Quick Reply