The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Extra time/Exams...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
Why should I? There's no need to be so bloody rude about it.

Stop being so sensitive?
Reply 21
This is the reason why people are vile to others who do get extras and need them. I for one have on multiple occasions been accused of being exactly what the OP is and this is only as a result of people like the OP!
Exam extras should be regulated much more and vigorously, if only to prevent people abusing the system and so preventing others from tarring every person with the same brush. This is vile.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
In almost every job and every walk of life there will be a cheat (if not more than one) somewhere amongst the pack.

So it is nothing now.

It is always those trying to do it the honest way that get shafted, so it many ways it comes down to "if you can't beat em, join em".
Reply 23
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I have loads of morality, for the right things though. You have to be ruthless in life otherwise you'll just end up in a **** job, with **** pay, end up being a push-over and no-one in work will like you lmao

You need to cheat just to get people to like you? That's rather sad, Imo. You can be assertive without cheating you know (or do you?). Also, how can you say you're a moral person when you do something as immoral as lie to do better then people who actually put in some effort to do well? Though I doubt I can change your mind so this post is pointless, I suppose.

Original post by ufo2012
It is always those trying to do it the honest way that get shafted, so it many ways it comes down to "if you can't beat em, join em".

A certain quote from Churchill comes to mind. You know, the one about refusing to surrender?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
I was told the time was so strict in exams so that it is a good measure of how fast we can solve problems and analyse in real life situations (I actually hardly ever finish my exams), someone isn't going to get extra time in a real life circumstance are they.

Not being rude, just don't really get it??
Reply 25
OP just seems to be actively trying to get negged and I'm hardly surprised given the length of his neg rep which shows he is some sort of super troll, what does surprise me is that I sort of agree with him.

I wouldn't brag about cheating and getting extra time, but if I felt it would make me do better and achieve higher, I would probably go for it. As it stands I don't think many people feel the need for extra time who don't have a learning difficulty so if the OP felt the need to get it anyway I wouldn't be surprised if in fact he was in need of it but in denial about this.

But I can understand about being a little bit amoral to get by. My personal response to the recession and the difficulty of finding a job is space cakes. I essentially teach people to make "cannabutter" and a few basic space cake recipes. Whilst I am not an advocate of drugs and I think they can be dangerous, I recognise that these people will do it anyway so I teach them a method which I believe is safer. I also use it as a means to make money when I cannot find employment.

In ordinary circumstances it would go against my morals, but needs must.

This sort of thing I can empathise with. But the OP is bragging a little too much in his posts, clearly looking to aggravate rather than inspire.
Reply 26
You have to be ruthless in life otherwise you'll just end up in a **** job, with **** pay, end up being a push-over and no-one in work will like you lmao

Like your attitude, not sure about the no-one in work liking you bit (they probably won't like you much if you show this attitude in public), but definitely - being ruthless is essential nowadays.

No-one seems to give a **** about anyone else and everyone is always trying to get one-up on the other in the workplace, so may as well look out for number one!

:blow::goodluck::headbang:
Wish I got extra time. I enter mind**** mode if I'm near the end of the paper but don't have much time left :s-smilie:
I find it hard to believe anyone can be so incredibly insensitive and ill mannered! Do you really think it's ok to get through life by cheating and taking things that don't belong to you? Most people thrive on the thrill of hard work paying off. I feel sorry for you if you've never experienced that.

Oh and you realise if you ever get found out you could get into serious trouble with your uni.

Now, are you really this narrow minded or are you a troll?
It's not cheating, but I'm talking about lying on your V and about other stuff. And why do you want to be on the same level as a "lot of people" why not have extra time and excel past them. It's not about not being able to do well, it's about excelling further and progressing.

The fall-down of a master criminal: the need to let everyone know how clever he is.

Original post by Abbseh
This is the reason why people are vile to others who do get extras and need them. I for one have on multiple occasions been accused of being exactly what the OP is and this is only as a result of people like the OP!
Exam extras should be regulated much more and vigorously, if only to prevent people abusing the system and so preventing others from tarring every person with the same brush. This is vile.

I agree about the OP, but that's not actually why people don't like extra time. It's the fact that there's one standard for some people, and a different one for others. Here's my argument below - feel free to disagree, but I think it's worth considering. I've genuinely tried to find a fair way out for both sides.

Spoiler

Original post by timmy121
I was told the time was so strict in exams so that it is a good measure of how fast we can solve problems and analyse in real life situations (I actually hardly ever finish my exams), someone isn't going to get extra time in a real life circumstance are they.

Not being rude, just don't really get it??

There would be reasonable adjustments in place to ensure that someone does get any extra help in real life.

I don't agree with extra time in exams. In my opinion, either:
1. Exams are supposed to test how people do under time pressure. In this case someone who can't do well under time pressure shouldn't have extra time - it's like giving someone who isn't mathematically minded a calculator, and no-one else.

There's a huge difference here. People are given extra time because their disabilities mean they may read or write slowly. It's nothing to do with intelligence. You can have my extra time and rest breaks and all my disabilities if you want?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
You can have my extra time and rest breaks and all my disabilities if you want?

Have mine as well as OU student's if you want!
This this are put in place to bring students back up to the level that everyone else is at, not to put them at an advantage or void the test of it's purpose.
Original post by Abbseh
This this are put in place to bring students back up to the level that everyone else is at, not to put them at an advantage or void the test of it's purpose.

Agreed. if I do computer based exams, (as I have done) I have to take a 15 minute break every hour. If I wasn't given extra time on top, I would lose a lot of time and would be at a disadvantage to others. Is that fair?
Original post by Abbseh

Have mine as well. I bet you'd really enjoy completely forgetting what you were doing two seconds agos. Also getting frustrated because the stuff that used to be easy makes no sense anymore and having no choice about it.
Reply 34
Agreed. if I do computer based exams, (as I have done) I have to take a 15 minute break every hour. If I wasn't given extra time on top, I would lose a lot of time and would be at a disadvantage to others. Is that fair?

Of course it is fair! It allows you to be on the same level as other people as you are allowed to do. I for one get a laptop, rest breaks, 25% extra time and my own room to do my exams in. All of those things allow me to function on far as everyone else, make the test fair as opposed to the unfair aspects that we would face without them.
why is this thread being brought up again, it's about 6 months old.
Lolol, 'human decency', ethics and morals.. because he managed to blag an extra 20 minutes in his exams? He's hardly sending Jews into the showers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by WanaBdoctor
Most people thrive on the thrill of hard work paying off. I feel sorry for you if you've never experienced that.

Many HR departments have acknowledged that it is not necessarily hard work that gets you to the top and while you can work hard often you are just working yourself to death and making yourself frustrated at your lack of progress in the process.

They say it is a combination of who you sleep with, backstabbing, cheating, lying, stealing other peoples glory and limelight, deflection of blame and blowing your own trumpet which is what will progress you better than anything else.

So as I said before, if you can't beat em, join em.

Sad to say, but the OP is right and I don't blame him.

Society has just become morally bankrupt.

Don't believe it? Just go into any office or workplace for a while and you will soon hear the gossip and stories about people in various positions.
Original post by ufo2012
Many HR departments have acknowledged that it is not necessarily hard work that gets you to the top and while you can work hard often you are just working yourself to death and making yourself frustrated at your lack of progress in the process.

They say it is a combination of who you sleep with, backstabbing, cheating, lying, stealing other peoples glory and limelight, deflection of blame and blowing your own trumpet which is what will progress you better than anything else.

So as I said before, if you can't beat em, join em.

Sad to say, but the OP is right and I don't blame him.

Society has just become morally bankrupt.

Don't believe it? Just go into any office or workplace for a while and you will soon hear the gossip and stories about people in various positions.

The irony is that doing these things and being as you say morally corrupt is ultimately harder than doing an honest day's work. Plus one day it will come and bite you in the back. In case you haven't noticed that with all the corrupt politicians.
Reply 39
Original post by MrHappy_J
The irony is that doing these things and being as you say morally corrupt is ultimately harder than doing an honest day's work. Plus one day it will come and bite you in the back. In case you haven't noticed that with all the corrupt politicians.

For some people it is definitely not harder - it probably depends a lot on personality. I know many people who could easily do it without a second thought, at the same time - they are not someone worthy of friendship as such people are almost exclusively out for themselves.

Politicians are a different matter and hardly worthy of discussion here - in case you hadn't noticed they get the limelight for doing these "bad" things for a short time, but after this has blown over, they have been sacked, demoted, whatever - quietly they will be elevated again into a position of power before we have even realised it because we lost interest in them ages before.

Latest

Trending

Trending