The Student Room Group

Things you wish you knew before you started med school

As the title says. :tongue:

I'm sure some of you medics have thought about this at some point. So please, pass on your wisdom. :biggrin:
Reply 2
The difference between new and knew.
Reply 3
:facepalm: Oh God why. I'm so stupid.
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by Helenia

lol. Anything else I need to know?
That there's no point buying stationary for the start of the year. You can get all your pens/pencils/rulers from the plethora of stalls at freshers fair to last you the whole academic year and beyond.
Reply 7
It's useful for me, thanks so much
Original post by Helenia

ouuuuch
Reply 9
Original post by dunnicare
lol. Anything else I need to know?

That there will be loads of people there who are every bit as pedantic as I am. Seriously.

But no, I can't think of anything that would have been particularly useful for me. Just chill out and enjoy your summer and don't panic too much about starting uni! Though you may want to get a job (if you haven't already got one) so that Freshers' Week isn't too painful if your loan hasn't already arrived.
Grays anatomy does not only just make a good door stop, its worth reading before the start of first/second year exams (but thats once you start medical school advice).

Apart from that - enjoy your summer. Med school goes so slowley at the time but in reality really fast. I cant believe its time for the real world (fingers crossed!).
Arteries aren't red, veins aren't blue and nerves aren't yellow :cool:
Reply 12
Original post by Helenia
That there will be loads of people there who are every bit as pedantic as I am. Seriously.

I will annoy many people. :teeth:

But no, I can't think of anything that would have been particularly useful for me. Just chill out and enjoy your summer and don't panic too much about starting uni! Though you may want to get a job (if you haven't already got one) so that Freshers' Week isn't too painful if your loan hasn't already arrived.

Sound advice thanks. This thread was very spur of the moment. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by speedystef
Arteries aren't red, veins aren't blue and nerves aren't yellow :cool:

:shock: My life....is a lie.
Reply 14
Original post by clad in armour
ouuuuch

Hahaha.
Reply 15
Original post by fairy spangles
Grays anatomy does not only just make a good door stop, its worth reading before the start of first/second year exams (but thats once you start medical school advice).

Opps totally saw the phrase "grays anatomy" and thought ooooooh I love that programme :wink:. Clearly never did much anatomy revision myself :wink:. Is a good book though :smile:

errrrrm. Don't get your stethoscope till you start because theres usually a money off voucher littman give freshers. read my blog post about... awesome thats been promoted for me :biggrin:. Otherwise seriously just enjoy your summer, no point trying to spend it learning things, they will teach you it :smile:
Reply 16
oh yeah, and start getting awesome fancy dress costumes from charity shops - you will def need these over the next 5 years so might as well get ahead of the game :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest