The Student Room Group

Career prospects in the UK for overseas students

your opinions, your thoughts? what do you think of the chance of landing a job in London after MA business studies? are companies willing to sponsor their work visas?

do you know any overseas who landed jobs and what universities do they target?
Reply 1
Companies do not have to sponsor your work visas. All they have to do is give you a certificate proving that they want to hire you. For Tier 2 post study visa according to new regulations they do not have to prove that there is nobody local to fill the position and it does not fill their quota, i.e. they do not have to do anything other than confirm the fact that they want you for that job.

On the other had whether or not they will want to hire you in the first place - that is another question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
In this globalized world, all depend on the person, his cv and if he is able to increase the company's profits
Reply 3
Landing a job isn't hard. Cleaner? Clerk? Waiter? Painter? Cab Driver? You have quite a few options.
Reply 4
Original post by drugs
Landing a job isn't hard. Cleaner? Clerk? Waiter? Painter? Cab Driver? You have quite a few options.

None of this jobs will satisfy visa conditions. Except maybe clerk, if you make over 20 000 pounds a year.
Reply 5
Original post by drugs

Oh man.. it's Drugs again. You do really like to scrutinize every single post and give your 'intelligent' comment as always. Let me give you a few tips man.. as it seems like u have not learnt much from your past ignorance. When you're abt to post, could you pls just stop and think for just a moment if the comments would contribute or at least, be of a little wee bit of help to the TS? Otherwise, pls save the TS and your own time from pure sarcastic posts.

Unless, you think that someone studying law would ask if he can get a job in the hospital.
Reply 6
Let me respond to you, Crusaders. TS' question doesn't make enough sense. He does not provide enough information and we are left unaware of what exactly he wants. Therefore nobody including yourself can answer his question constructively. I cannot guess what he 'meant' to ask, or specifically to what sort of employment he is referring. Such questions deserve such responses. Conversely, well delivered questions will yield constructive responses. And btw, i don't need your tips. Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by drugs
Let me respond to you, Crusaders. TS' question doesn't make enough sense. He does not provide enough information and we are left unaware of what exactly he wants. Therefore nobody including yourself can answer his question constructively. I cannot guess what he 'meant' to ask, or specifically to what sort of employment he is referring. Such questions deserve such responses. Conversely, well delivered questions will yield constructive responses. And btw, i don't need your tips. Thanks.

If you cannot be of any help to TS, save yourself some time from posting yet another sarcastic post. 'Such questions deserve such responses'.. typical attitude of yours. Anyone looking at your post history can easily depict your character. I don;t see any problem with the rest of the users in understanding the question. Seriously, have a good look at your own post over the year. None are every constructive anyway. If you wanna help, be sincere. otherwise spend your time getting some emotional help instead.
Reply 8
alright then crusaders. i dont quite see where you have been constructive to the TS here. so why not do it now. go. answer TS' question. it better be a brilliant answer.
Reply 9
elitist mindset and arrogance. Your're always more interested to find fault than to help. Come on man.. look at a few of your posts,
Imperial MSc Finance vs LSE MSc Economic History
QUICK! Rank these 3 courses!
Unis for IB - 2012

Anyone could have been critical of your posts. Fortunately, none of the users are like you man. Great, someone just pm me telling me not to waste time on idiots like you.. doesn;t look too good on me too. Oh well.. Good for you to get into imperial, but do change your elitist mindset.
Reply 10
going through my posting history is pretty sad, in fact its weird and gay. if you like me, sorry, i have a girlfriend. now please stop looking me up because i feel slightly violated. also, im still waiting for your constructive answer to this thread. TS is waiting as well. Thank you Crusaders.
Reply 11
I just say spain go to hell
Reply 12
Original post by janjanmmm
Companies do not have to sponsor your work visas. All they have to do is give you a certificate proving that they want to hire you. For Tier 2 post study visa according to new regulations they do not have to prove that there is nobody local to fill the position and it does not fill their quota, i.e. they do not have to do anything other than confirm the fact that they want you for that job.

On the other had whether or not they will want to hire you in the first place - that is another question.

Hasn't the post study work visa been ended? That was my understanding
Reply 13
Original post by dgeorge
Hasn't the post study work visa been ended? That was my understanding

Yes, but there is a special provision for Tier 2 for post-study students now. It is still much better than for people who did not study in UK - no limit and no Resident Labor Market test.

Post-Study Work
β€’
The current Post-Study Work route will be closed from April 2012.
β€’
Those graduating from a UK university with a recognised degree, PGCE, or PGDE will be able to switch into Tier 2.
β€’
There will not be a limit on these switchers.
β€’
They will only be able to switch if they are in the UK, before their student visa expires.
β€’
The normal Tier 2 requirements will apply, except for the Resident Labour Market Test.
β€’
We will ensure that genuine student entrepreneurs with a great idea are able to stay on in the UK to develop their business proposition.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by janjanmmm
Yes, but there is a special provision for Tier 2 for post-study students now. It is still much better than for people who did not study in UK - no limit and no Resident Labor Market test.

Please explain to my poor brain, how would the "switching" work?
Reply 15
Original post by dgeorge
Please explain to my poor brain, how would the "switching" work?

You look for a job before your student visa expires. If the company wants you they give you a certificate. Company must be registered with Immigration (i.e. it must be a large company, like Barclay Bank or BT, not mom-and-pop-store). Once they gave you a certificate you can apply for a work visa. Conditions are:

- occupation consistent with degree (i.e. you can not work as janitor if you are an engineer)
- income is minimum 20 000 a year

Work visa is for 3 years and then you can extend another 2 years, after that you get ILR and can stay forever.

Since neither limit nor Resident Labor Market test apply*, the company does not lose anything and for them there is no difference to hire you or to hire a British/EU person.

---

*Limit means that they can only offer jobs to a certain number of foreign candidates per year and Resident Labor Market test means they have to prove that there is no local available who can do this job, both are pain and companies do not like it; both apply for a regular Tier 2 candidates, not for a post-study.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for the breakdown janjanmmm.
Reply 17
Original post by EvanM300
In this globalized world, all depend on the person, his cv and if he is able to increase the company's profits

That is correct

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest