The Student Room Group

Eligibility for finance: EU student living outside the EU

Hi!

I'm a french student living in Morocco. Am I still elligible for Student finance loans?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
how long have you lived in morocco?

if it is over 3 years i am not to sure if you will be eligibly, however you could give them a ring on (+44) (0) 141 243 3570 to make sure you get the right answer to the question.
Will you have French qualifications, and will you state your permanent residence as being in France or Morocco?

I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but I've been living in Spain for 8 years and still count as a UK student because I was born there and have a british passport etc. Though I did have to ring the number in the post above to have that confirmed for me, so definitely give them a ring (9am -5:30pm UK time on weekdays only)!
Reply 3
Original post by desdemonata
Will you have French qualifications, and will you state your permanent residence as being in France or Morocco?

I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but I've been living in Spain for 8 years and still count as a UK student because I was born there and have a british passport etc. Though I did have to ring the number in the post above to have that confirmed for me, so definitely give them a ring (9am -5:30pm UK time on weekdays only)!

you sure you count as a UK student, because im sure they have a rule where you have to of had a address in UK for the last 3 years to be a UK application.
Original post by kumori
you sure you count as a UK student, because im sure they have a rule where you have to of had a address in UK for the last 3 years to be a UK application.

Yep, I'm an exception. That's referring generally to people who have lived at the UK at some indefinite point, not exactly british citizens who were born there. I was just exercising my right to live abroad in an EU country apparently :cool: My student finance has already been sorted out and I get the standard UK treatment, including maintenance loan and grant :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by desdemonata

I live in Morocco since 10 years, and I will have the french baccalaureate (I study in a French school).
That's why I think it will be difficult to obtain a loan, even if my parents have already worked in France.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
In that case you should definitely give them a ring. They'll be able to tell you if you qualify as an EU student and if you do, they can send you by post or by email the proper EU student application (as on the website you probably wouldn't be able to). Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Ok, I'll call them. Thank you very much! :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
When i applied for student finance I was a British student who lived outside the UK for 6 years. I got everything that a normal British citizen would get

You need to proof 3 things

1) your dad has only been working in morocco on a temporary basis. Ie in the future he will move back. a letter from the company saying this is enough

2) your dad owns a property in the UK

3) your uni classifies you as a home student.
Reply 9
Original post by newhope

1) your dad has only been working in morocco on a temporary basis. Ie in the future he will move back. a letter from the company saying this is enough

Sorry for the late answer. :colondollar:

It will be difficult, because my dad doesn't own a property in the UK, and also because he doesn't works for a company (he's a doctor and owns his surgery).
Too bad..
Original post by newhope
When i applied for student finance I was a British student who lived outside the UK for 6 years. I got everything that a normal British citizen would get

Hm, I don't remember having to prove any of those things :confused: And none of that applies to me.
Reply 11
Original post by Rayan14
Sorry for the late answer. :colondollar:

It will be difficult, because my dad doesn't own a property in the UK, and also because he doesn't works for a company (he's a doctor and owns his surgery).
Too bad..

Ah made a mistake there! I meant to ask if he has a property in France? or does he pay any french taxes?

Have u been classified as a home student by any british uni?!

If you are then i think you would get the student loans.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
He unfortunately no longer owns a property in France, however, I think he will start paying french taxes even if we live in Morocco (because, or thanks to M. Hollande). We are not sure yet.

I don't think that I'm qualified as home student for any uni because I don't satisfy the residence conditions...
Reply 13
well after you get offered a place at uni u will be asked to fill a form. This form will decide your fee status.

Lets see what happens!

I have always been classified as a home student even though i have lived half of my life outside UK!
Reply 14
Ok, no need to be stressed now.. Thanks for your help. :smile:

And I haven't called yet student finance.

Quick Reply

Latest