The Student Room Group

TV/Film Production Courses – A Guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
well i have one more question for answering...
the portfolio should be sent with the aplication to the ubis or they ask for it?
Also i have put some links in my statement(some older work).Is this ok?Or it was a wrong choice?
I wouldn't put links in there, uses up unnecessary characters. If they want a portfolio, they will ask for it at an interview. If you mention something like "I have created a portfolio of my previous work" or something similar in your PS then it should be fine. You could mention what you've done as well, to show off your experience.
Reply 262
well.. the interviews might be a problem...
i am in Asia minor atm(my father is a diplomat so we move a lot:s) so thats why i sent the ps with the links.
Reply 263
logo15
also i found this...not good critic about the specific course http://www.ratemyuni.co.uk/review.php?id=22

There are a lot of reviews of Film Production Technology available here: http://www.ratemyuni.co.uk/university.php?id=163&cat=1 - this is probably the best collection of up to date reviews of the course around.
Reply 264
benwiggy
There are a lot of reviews of Film Production Technology available here: http://www.ratemyuni.co.uk/university.php?id=163&cat=1 - this is probably the best collection of up to date reviews of the course around.

I'm doing that film production tech course and hmmmm :/ that dudes review of it to me sounds like a completely different course!! well he was accurate about the lack of girls and food being cool, i also the bit a bout the union isn't that true, since this years FTO's took over there has be loads of improvements compared to other years
Reply 265
Okay...where do I start?...Here goes nothing...please read...

Basically im in my third year of college I have already achieved A-levels in English Literature (B) and Media Studies (C) and im doing 3 AS's at the moment. Biology, Chemistry and Statistics. I wanted to do another further two years of college on top of the two I have already done to complete those three A-levels...because I wanted a science based degree. (I got it into my head that if I complete the two years with good grades I can possibly have a chance in getting into medicine which is for another 5 years...) But that's the thing I don't think I can finish off these 2 years and then on top of that another 5.

Right now I just turned 19 and if I were to finish of all those years I would be 25/26 at the latest. I just feel I will end up a very tired, miserable old wreck by the end of it. I just want to pull out now and do something creative and productive with my life given that I am not already too late. Yes I will have to let go of my hopes of becoming a paediatrician but that doesn't mean it's the end all and be all right? I can still do masses amounts to help children. Just figured out you don't have to be a paediatrician to do that. Duh.

Yes, getting into the media industry might not be as reputable as being a Doctor and whatnot but I feel there's a place and a position for everybody. I just hope I'm not too late for me because I really want to do a Film and Television production course and go to uni next year because I love drama and would love a chance to do scriptwriting.

I would appreciate it If you could give me some fast tips on making a personal statement and portfolio. For the portfolio I have an TV advertisement for iPod (Made in first year of media studies, got an A :smile:), and I also have a short film about the clash of cultures and faith called "Himmat" (meaning courage) in which I played the main character, edited on final cut pro and directed it (I will put it on Facebook soon...the out-takes are hilarious). Anything else? Thanks for reading and I would appreciate all the help possible :smile: cos the deadlines around the corner...:sadnod:
Reply 266
al32
Okay...where do I start?...Here goes nothing...please read...

Basically im in my third year of college I have already achieved A-levels in English Literature (B) and Media Studies (C) and im doing 3 AS's at the moment. Biology, Chemistry and Statistics. I wanted to do another further two years of college on top of the two I have already done to complete those three A-levels...because I wanted a science based degree. (I got it into my head that if I complete the two years with good grades I can possibly have a chance in getting into medicine which is for another 5 years...) But that's the thing I don't think I can finish off these 2 years and then on top of that another 5.

Right now I just turned 19 and if I were to finish of all those years I would be 25/26 at the latest. I just feel I will end up a very tired, miserable old wreck by the end of it. I just want to pull out now and do something creative and productive with my life given that I am not already too late. Yes I will have to let go of my hopes of becoming a paediatrician but that doesn't mean it's the end all and be all right? I can still do masses amounts to help children. Just figured out you don't have to be a paediatrician to do that. Duh.

Yes, getting into the media industry might not be as reputable as being a Doctor and whatnot but I feel there's a place and a position for everybody. I just hope I'm not too late for me because I really want to do a Film and Television production course and go to uni next year because I love drama and would love a chance to do scriptwriting.

I would appreciate it If you could give me some fast tips on making a personal statement and portfolio. For the portfolio I have an TV advertisement for iPod (Made in first year of media studies, got an A :smile:), and I also have a short film about the clash of cultures and faith called "Himmat" (meaning courage) in which I played the main character, edited on final cut pro and directed it (I will put it on Facebook soon...the out-takes are hilarious). Anything else? Thanks for reading and I would appreciate all the help possible :smile: cos the deadlines around the corner...:sadnod:

Wow, that lot was fun to read when falling asleep. :p:
Hiya :smile:

As you can imagine first, and as I'm sure you realise, you ARE at a bit of a disadvantage here. You've had other aspirations that you've been working to for quite some time, and in general the media-types have been passionate about what they do for years.

This isn't the end of the world, though. As you say, you've already done a Media A-Level - your film/advert will be an excellent starting point, but you'll likely need a little more if you're going to head into any future interviews feeling confident. There's plenty of information in this thread about the kinds of things you can include in a portfolio - some take time, some, such as storyboards, can be a reasonably quick project with a bit of creativity.

Your personal statement is what'll really have to stand out, for the reason mentioned above. You'll need to be honest about what you've been doing so far, and how you've reached the point you're at today, but make it clear too that you've got the dedication now to continue this; remember that the media industry is tough, it's competitive, and you'll be working for very little money, THEN tell the university staff that you're willing to take all of that on. Your PS will have to be very powerful, but as long as this decision isn't being made lightly, you should have no problems showing that.

Is there anything specific you want or need help on? I don't know when your deadline for this is, but if you post any more questions in here there are a fair few of us who won't mind helping. :smile:
You shouldn't need too much in a portfolio, that sounds like it'd do. You will have to hurry to get your UCAS form done! In your PS I wouldn't mention that you wanted to be a Doctor but gave up that dream - it sends out the message that you're either a quitter, or that Television Production wasn't your first choice. Mention your Work Experience, including your media experience (how you filmed those things, what you edited them in) and basically big up the subject. IF you get it done quick enough then put it in the Personal Statement Help forum here on TSR and someone will help you. Next, pick your universities. You have 180 UCAS points already - great. You need to read all of hte information on the University's page for the course, see what the entry requirements are and if they'll allow two AS levels instead of a third A Level. Bournemouth, Leeds and Middlesex are three I've read the best things about, as well as ... I think it was Westminster. Look on the Skillset webpage for who they've accredited, that could be important in your decision, although, just because it's not accredited doesn't mean that it's not good ... I think I got all the words right there XD Anyway, this has run on a bit and I'm tired so if I'm no coherrent enough I apologise.
Reply 268
LastLordofTime
You shouldn't need too much in a portfolio, that sounds like it'd do. You will have to hurry to get your UCAS form done! In your PS I wouldn't mention that you wanted to be a Doctor but gave up that dream - it sends out the message that you're either a quitter, or that Television Production wasn't your first choice. Mention your Work Experience, including your media experience (how you filmed those things, what you edited them in) and basically big up the subject. IF you get it done quick enough then put it in the Personal Statement Help forum here on TSR and someone will help you. Next, pick your universities. You have 180 UCAS points already - great. You need to read all of hte information on the University's page for the course, see what the entry requirements are and if they'll allow two AS levels instead of a third A Level. Bournemouth, Leeds and Middlesex are three I've read the best things about, as well as ... I think it was Westminster. Look on the Skillset webpage for who they've accredited, that could be important in your decision, although, just because it's not accredited doesn't mean that it's not good ... I think I got all the words right there XD Anyway, this has run on a bit and I'm tired so if I'm no coherrent enough I apologise.

Wow; aside from the tiredness, you've basically said the opposite of everything I have. :p:
Well, then everything I said should be ignored since you're the one actually at university :giggle:
Reply 270
LastLordofTime
Well, then everything I said should be ignored since you're the one actually at university :giggle:

Mine's an opinion just as yours is. :p:
Basically, we've just taken a confused person, given them plenty of reading, and dropped them right back where they started.
Sorry! :o:
It has to be sent off to UCAS by 15th January.

Edit: That was in response to you saying you didn't know what the deadlines were :giggle: Sounds rather random on its own ...
Reply 272
You've run on a bit? I've sprinted off lol. Sorry for making you guy's doze off and thanks for all the advice. Yeah I got 180 UCAS points on some of the sites, they say they need:

I really want to go to Westminister, which is unlikely.

- Kingston: 240-320 UCAS points, has to include 2 A-levels or equivalent.

- Westminister: BBB in A-level or equivalent

- University for the Creative Arts: A minimum of 12 units and 80 UCAS tariff points of which 80 points must come from qualifications greater than 6 units.

-University of the Arts London (London college of communication): 2 A levels plus 5 GCSEs (A-C)

-University of Middlesex: 260 UCAS tariff points

If I can get good predicted grades for the 3 AS's im doing I might be in with a chance with some of them...hopefully. I just realised I think these are the final 5 i'm gonna pick...

Kingston, Westminister, UCA, LCC and Middlesex. Maybe I should remove 1 and put into university of UEL just to be safe.
I applied to Middlesex and got an offer of 300 points. Probably because of my lack of media experience but I just thought that should be mentioned.
Reply 274
Oh well done, what did you apply for? Good luck. :smile:
They're in my sig :giggle:
Reply 276
errrr...your sig? Sorry just registered yesterday.
Underneath my first post on a page is my signature. Click on the "Show" button on the spoiler and it'll show where I applied.
Reply 278
Thanks, I just hope what I am doing is the right and the best decision in the long run. Seriously I think all those years of hard work (If I went through medicine) will get to me and I already have depression. Yes I can do it if I want but I have chosen not to.

What are you looking forward to do in the future as a career pathway? If you don't mind me asking. I want to create something which consists of Drama, realism and grittiness. I would also like to teach children.
I want to write/direct drama, more specifically Science Fiction or Fantasy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending