The Student Room Group

Medics and Applicants Profiles: Discussion

Scroll to see replies

In addition to the points mentioned above by kinkerz and jonny, they probably also both had varying degrees of luck.
Reply 81
I feel depressed after looking at this, I am still awaiting my GCSE results and I can guarantee you it won't be as good as the average poster on here e.g 7 A*s. I also don't play any instruments like most of you do, my extra curricular will probably blank. (No D of E) Don't contribute to any sports, because I am not a sporty type of person.
:frown: *sigh*
Reply 82
Faith01
I feel depressed after looking at this, I am still awaiting my GCSE results and I can guarantee you it won't be as good as the average poster on here e.g 7 A*s. I also don't play any instruments like most of you do, my extra curricular will probably blank. (No D of E) Don't contribute to any sports, because I am not a sporty type of person.

All pretty minor stuff! Although GCSEs are important, i wouldn't start worrying just yet!
Reply 83
chelski786
What business do you run if you don't mind me asking?

how could you be predicted 3 A's with those grades:biggrin:
Faith01

Awwww honestly hun I felt exactly like you did at your stage of the application, the worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others it will only bring you down. I have 4a*s only, fairly run-of-the-mill extra curriculars, and absolutley no sports interest whatsoever (except gym, but i'm not even sure if i included that), and i ended up with 3 offers. The most important things are, your work experience and voluntary work, the interview, and, of course, belief in yourself!
From my experience anyway :p: PM me if you want advice :smile:
Reply 85
nexttime
All pretty minor stuff! Although GCSEs are important, i wouldn't start worrying just yet!

buck-your-waas
Awwww honestly hun I felt exactly like you did at your stage of the application, the worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others it will only bring you down. I have 4a*s only, fairly run-of-the-mill extra curriculars, and absolutley no sports interest whatsoever (except gym, but i'm not even sure if i included that), and i ended up with 3 offers. The most important things are, your work experience and voluntary work, the interview, and, of course, belief in yourself!
From my experience anyway :p: PM me if you want advice :smile:

Thank you, feel loads better now.
:smile:
Reply 86
Faith01

Don't believe what everyone posts on here :wink:
Reply 87
Alex D
Don't believe what everyone posts on here :wink:

Don't believe what anyone posts on here. Therefore ignore the next bit... :p:

If you're thorough in your preparation for every step of the process you should probably get into some medical school unless you turn out a real weirdo on interview day.
Reply 88
Iscariot
Don't believe what anyone posts on here. Therefore ignore the next bit... :p:

If you're thorough in your preparation for every step of the process you should probably get into some medical school unless you turn out a real weirdo on interview day.

Big difference between not believing what everyone says and not believing what anyone says :p: But that is some top advice :yep:
Reply 89
Originally Posted by Faith01
*sigh*

I certainly don't have 7 A*'s, in fact i only have a single one (I can almost here all of you *gasp*..ghastly) lucky i have 4 A's at unit 1 AS-level (chemistry/biology/psychology/maths)...

in conclusion... don't be disellusioned that A*'s are a must... ( maybe my argument would be more valid if i make it to medicine) =p
Reply 90
I was wondering if it was a good idea to put my family tragedy as a motivator for me doing medicine.
Minor point, but the first line of the first post on the thread is grammatically incorrect. I am being pedantic, I know.
DR_X
I was wondering if it was a good idea to put my family tragedy as a motivator for me doing medicine.

IMO, no, it's a terrible idea.
Reply 93
Toiletpaper8
IMO, no, it's a terrible idea.

may I ask why......
DR_X
may I ask why......

If the overriding reason why you want to do medicine is because of a family tragedy, it makes me wonder why you're really doing. Personal experiences are fine, but really, how much can you say about it?

Not to mention, it's probably quite common in personal statements and probably doesn't stand at interview. If you think yours does stand, fair enough.
sjames06
My Edinburgh Conditional has changed to unconditional

are u on a gap year now? or do Scots get their results early??
Reply 96
AppleandMangoPie
are u on a gap year now? or do Scots get their results early??

Nope, no gap year just the results in Scotland come out tomorrow, but released to unis a few days earlier and i got an e-mail from my firm saying it had changed to unconditional.
sjames06
Nope, no gap year just the results in Scotland come out tomorrow, but released to unis a few days earlier and i got an e-mail from my firm saying it had changed to unconditional.

oh so theres hope the unis could send out emails a day in advance.

:shock:
Medicine Man
oh so theres hope the unis could send out emails a day in advance.

:shock:

All that message has done is probably made you more nervous a day before results day :p:
yeah i dont think it works that way for england though cos int he previous years everyone has had to log on at 7 am on results day to see and even then it hasnt necessarily updated!

well done james must be great to know ur certainly going to uni!

Quick Reply