The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth or Bangor for English and Creative Writing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purple_starlight
Me too!

What are you applying for?

Have you been to both open days?

I'm applying for either Media and Communications/Media Studies or Media Production (different ones at each uni i've applied to).
As a whole i've applied to Aberystwyth, Glamorgan, Sunderland, Bangor and Winchester but the only open day i actually went to was Aberystwyth as i felt they had the best course and living in London, i couldn't afford the petrol to keep going for 6-8 hour trips to see them all!

I loved Aberystwyth, the course and facilities sounded really good and the area was beautiful however the only aspect i'm worried about is that it seemed quite enclosed, whilst i'm used to living in a huge city and love exploring (heading to Australia to travel).

Guess i'll just wait until my offers come and then figure out what on earth to do!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this one the other day :smile:

Wow! I wish that I got a chance to see Aber! :biggrin: Aber seems to be closer to the sea than Bangor is.

I didn't go to the university open day but in July, I was camping near Wrexham and we went around the town. Some of the university buildings looked really pretty!!
Have you been to the open day for Glyndwr then? I'm not sure where to go for uni out of Bangor, Aber and Glyndwr right now. I think I'm more leaning towards Bangor, but I'm not sure if that's just because I went to the open day. If I went to the other open days I may feel differently. ARRGG Why does everything have to be so far away!
N'awwww it's good if it means you see your boyfriend more if you went to Aber :smile:

Aber is much closer to the sea than Bangor :smile: I went to the Aber open day and everyone was raving about how close it was to the sea, and I actually felt quite left out because my house is closer to the sea than the Uni is :sad:

I've been to the Glyndwr open day and I absolutely loved it, I love the course and the new centre for creative industries is just amazing! They have a BBC studio up there and all the performance spaces and rooms are brand new and amazing. The accommodation is lovely too, and really quite cheap!

I'd definitely go and see Glyndwr if you haven't already (there's an open day December 3rd), I saw it and fell in love with it - it clicked with me in a way that Aber and other unis I've read or heard about or saw at the UCAS event just didn't and I'd be really gutted if I didn't get in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Have not been to any other Welsh ones, I have applied for York St John, Chichester, Falmouth, Winchester and Bangor!

Thats in order of preference!

Are you doing A2 Literature then? :smile:
Ah, I didn't realise that. :smile:

What other universities have you visited and what did you think of them?

Have you been to Glyndwr's open day?

Have not been to any other Welsh ones, I have applied for York St John, Chichester, Falmouth, Winchester and Bangor!

Are you doing A2 Literature then?
I'm in my first year at Aberystwyth, studying psychology so can't help with any department questions but if you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them. :smile:
Original post by Lady Friday
I'm in my first year at Aberystwyth, studying psychology so can't help with any department questions but if you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them. :smile:

Thank you!

What's the area like?
Which halls are you in? What are they like?
Are the university departments far away from each other or is everything fairly close to everything? Like are most things nearby?

:smile:
Thank you!

What's the area like?
Which halls are you in? What are they like?
Are the university departments far away from each other or is everything fairly close to everything? Like are most things nearby?

The area is really nice, the town is pretty compact, the only thing you really need the bus for is to get to Morrisons. It's really friendly, the town really relies on students (I think during term time they make up 1/3 of the population) so there's so many student deals and stuff. There are only 2 clubs so if you want the sort of nightlife you get in a city that's obviously not going to happen but there are loads of pubs and I find there's always something to do :smile:.

I'm in Alexandra Halls on the seafront, I wanted to be up on campus and when I found out where I was I cried :redface:. However now I'm so happy where I am, I love stepping out my front door and seeing the sea ever day. I love being in the town because it's so easy to get stuff last minute. I have a double bed (Alex is the only halls to get these :wink:) and rooms here tend to be bigger than the ones up on the campus. The only downside is the walk up the uni but it's not as big a deal as everyone makes out, it only takes half an hour for all my flatmates and second and third years manage it in 20 so I'm hoping I'll improve :rolleyes:.

Most of the departments are all pretty close together up on campus. There is another campus you have to get the bus to (I think Llanbadarn) but that's only for countryside management so wouldn't affect you. The English department is up on campus, I think you might have the occasional seminar in the Old College which is a building on the Seafront so only half an hour walk but not sure.

I'd really recommend coming to an open day, I know it's not easy with how far Aber is from everything lol but I went to one for my department last year and they reimburse the cost of your train ticket/petrol :smile:

This post probably comes across as really soppy but I'm loving it here so get a bit carried away talking about it :biggrin:
Original post by madders94
Aber is much closer to the sea than Bangor :smile: I went to the Aber open day and everyone was raving about how close it was to the sea, and I actually felt quite left out because my house is closer to the sea than the Uni is :sad:

I've been to the Glyndwr open day and I absolutely loved it, I love the course and the new centre for creative industries is just amazing! They have a BBC studio up there and all the performance spaces and rooms are brand new and amazing. The accommodation is lovely too, and really quite cheap!

I'd definitely go and see Glyndwr if you haven't already (there's an open day December 3rd), I saw it and fell in love with it - it clicked with me in a way that Aber and other unis I've read or heard about or saw at the UCAS event just didn't and I'd be really gutted if I didn't get in.

You're so lucky to live so close to the sea! That would be a dream house to me! I bet it's rough outside if there's a big storm though! But exciting if there's thunder and lightning over the sea! I love the sea! Do you live in a holiday-coastal type area or is it relatively quiet?

Wow! Glyndwr sounds really good!

I remember the landscape being amazing! I loved the valleys and rivers that we drove through when I was in the area.
I like the idea of being at uni by the sea though...:biggrin: I'd love it!
I'd love to go to the Glyndwr open day in Decemeber but it would mean quite a trek for me..I live down south in Southampton so it would mean quite a big journey!

I hope you get in to Glyndwr! You sound like you really love it! :smile:
You're so lucky to live so close to the sea! That would be a dream house to me! I bet it's rough outside if there's a big storm though! But exciting if there's thunder and lightning over the sea! I love the sea! Do you live in a holiday-coastal type area or is it relatively quiet?

Wow! Glyndwr sounds really good!

I remember the landscape being amazing! I loved the valleys and rivers that we drove through when I was in the area.
I like the idea of being at uni by the sea though...:biggrin: I'd love it!
I'd love to go to the Glyndwr open day in Decemeber but it would mean quite a trek for me..I live down south in Southampton so it would mean quite a big journey!

I hope you get in to Glyndwr! You sound like you really love it! :smile:

My village is usually fairly quiet, we get our fair share of tourists in the summer and in the holidays it's heaving, but the closest town 5 miles away is really popular with tourists - the locals tend to avoid it and trek to the supermarkets and stock up like we're preparing for a zombie apocalypse! :awesome:

I love living here... I'm going to miss it so much when I leave :sad:
Original post by pinkfreekyfrog

Are you doing A2 Literature then?

I live near Winchester and I go to college there! :biggrin: It's a beautiful place! And the local area is great too!
Did you go to the Winchester open day?
I personally know nothing about Winchester uni itself but I'd be happy to answer any questions about the local area and such if you have any. :smile:

I'm doing A2 Language and literature at the moment. I wish that I'd taken A2 Literature though...it looks more interesting.
Original post by madders94
My village is usually fairly quiet, we get our fair share of tourists in the summer and in the holidays it's heaving, but the closest town 5 miles away is really popular with tourists - the locals tend to avoid it and trek to the supermarkets and stock up like we're preparing for a zombie apocalypse! :awesome:

I love living here... I'm going to miss it so much when I leave :sad:

haha! Zombie apocalypse! :biggrin:

I've realised how much I'll miss my hometown when I leave aswell. But not so much because of the town...I've suddenly realised that I'm going to miss my family LOADS! Especially seen as it'll be about a 7-8 hour car journey at best to get there or back.
Original post by Lady Friday
The area is really nice, the town is pretty compact, the only thing you really need the bus for is to get to Morrisons. It's really friendly, the town really relies on students (I think during term time they make up 1/3 of the population) so there's so many student deals and stuff. There are only 2 clubs so if you want the sort of nightlife you get in a city that's obviously not going to happen but there are loads of pubs and I find there's always something to do :smile:.

I'm in Alexandra Halls on the seafront, I wanted to be up on campus and when I found out where I was I cried :redface:. However now I'm so happy where I am, I love stepping out my front door and seeing the sea ever day. I love being in the town because it's so easy to get stuff last minute. I have a double bed (Alex is the only halls to get these :wink:) and rooms here tend to be bigger than the ones up on the campus. The only downside is the walk up the uni but it's not as big a deal as everyone makes out, it only takes half an hour for all my flatmates and second and third years manage it in 20 so I'm hoping I'll improve :rolleyes:.

Most of the departments are all pretty close together up on campus. There is another campus you have to get the bus to (I think Llanbadarn) but that's only for countryside management so wouldn't affect you. The English department is up on campus, I think you might have the occasional seminar in the Old College which is a building on the Seafront so only half an hour walk but not sure.

I'd really recommend coming to an open day, I know it's not easy with how far Aber is from everything lol but I went to one for my department last year and they reimburse the cost of your train ticket/petrol :smile:

This post probably comes across as really soppy but I'm loving it here so get a bit carried away talking about it :biggrin:

ooooh do you have a sea view in your room? I've heard from somebody that the Alexandra Halls have good rooms at the front facing the sea but the ones at the back are a bit dingy and dark....is this true?
It must be lovely being that close to the sea! :smile:

oooh wow! How do you go about reimbursing train ticket and petrol...do they automatically ask you about it or do you have to ask them about sorting it out? I might feel awkward asking them about it.

I'm lucky as my sister is going to be working in Aber for a couple of days after christmas....so I could go with her to see the area. Although I may not get to see the campus on the inside and get all the other open day info....but I could email them and find out if I could look around the campus maybe :smile:

Thank you for all the great info! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I live near Winchester and I go to college there! :biggrin: It's a beautiful place! And the local area is great too!
I personally know nothing about Winchester uni itself but I'd be happy to answer any questions about the local area and such if you have any. :smile:

I'm doing A2 Language and literature at the moment. I wish that I'd taken A2 Literature though...it looks more interesting.

Thanks, but my fav unis are Falmouth YSJ and Chi, don't really want to go to Winchester.

Which uni's are u thinking of?

Yeah I hate A2 Lang, but love As lit is soooo good! :smile:
Reply 53

Do you go to Peter Symonds? My mum uncles x3 and even grandparents all went there.

Winchester uni is meant to be in a lot of financial trouble according to the hefc review losing a massive cuink of funding and on the list for its teaching budget to be slashed to next to nothing. Can't remember the report I saw it on but if you search the hefc it'll be there somewhere. I'd avoid it in case the course folded.

Bangor and Aber both sent offers here :smile:
Original post by pinkfreekyfrog
Thanks, but my fav unis are Falmouth YSJ and Chi, don't really want to go to Winchester.

Which uni's are u thinking of?

Yeah I hate A2 Lang, but love As lit is soooo good! :smile:

I've applied to Aber, Bangor, Glyndwr, Glamorgan and Bath Spa

Are you doing Lang and lit combined or are you taking them seperately?

Original post by ysgwrn
Do you go to Peter Symonds? My mum uncles x3 and even grandparents all went there.

Winchester uni is meant to be in a lot of financial trouble according to the hefc review losing a massive cuink of funding and on the list for its teaching budget to be slashed to next to nothing. Can't remember the report I saw it on but if you search the hefc it'll be there somewhere. I'd avoid it in case the course folded.

Bangor and Aber both sent offers here :smile:

Yeah! I do go there! :biggrin: haha!
Do you live near Winchester then?

ooooh...I didn't realise that Winchester was in financial trouble. I'm not planning on going there though. I want to go somewhere different for uni that is further away from home...so it's more of an adventure! :smile: (although I have suddenly realised that I'm going to be so far from my family and everything so I'll miss them lots!) My friend wants to go to Winchester...I'll let her know but I don't think she'll change her mind as her heart is set on Winchester uni.

So have you applied to Bangor and Aber too? What course?
I've applied to Aber, Bangor, Glyndwr, Glamorgan and Bath Spa

Are you doing Lang and lit combined or are you taking them seperately?

Am acctually doing lit with creative writing, I despise lang! :smile:
ooooh do you have a sea view in your room? I've heard from somebody that the Alexandra Halls have good rooms at the front facing the sea but the ones at the back are a bit dingy and dark....is this true?
It must be lovely being that close to the sea! :smile:

oooh wow! How do you go about reimbursing train ticket and petrol...do they automatically ask you about it or do you have to ask them about sorting it out? I might feel awkward asking them about it.

I'm lucky as my sister is going to be working in Aber for a couple of days after christmas....so I could go with her to see the area. Although I may not get to see the campus on the inside and get all the other open day info....but I could email them and find out if I could look around the campus maybe :smile:

Thank you for all the great info! :biggrin:

I have a view of a brick wall :frown:. In Alex all the rooms are good size (most are bigger than the other halls I've been in) but it is true that the ones at the back are darker. I have enough light midday but towards late afternoon I do need my light on.
It's amazing being this close to the sea, only problem is I keep having to walk home from Why Not drunk and usually end up paddling :colondollar:.

Had a quick google about the travel costs and it turns out they only do it for visiting days clicky. They send emails out about the dates of these once they've given you an offer and then on the day they give you a big bag full of prospectus type stuff and a form for it is in there. :smile:

I'd definitely email them about looking round, if you don't ask you don't get right? :smile:.
If you wanted to look round accomodation send me a pm before you come up and you can have a look round my flat. On open days they only show you one or 2 types, last one some people outside randomly asked my flatmate if they could see his room.

Also kind of random but you've applied to Glamorgan? My home is 10 minutes from there! Didn't look into the uni as I knew I wanted to move away but unless you want a big city nearby as a place Aber is far better :wink:
Reply 58
To all the people saying Aber is a better uni than Bangor...really? Aber is hardly a beautiful place to live, unlike Bangor. Bangor is quiet yes, but only if you want it to be. Theres plenty of pubs and clubs to go to. The English department is fantastic and I've yet to meet a single Welsh professer, let alone one I cant understand. Read up on which is the better uni for your course (Bangor) which is better results wise (Bangor) and make up your mind from there. Essentially, its your choice, dont let some bias idiots on tsr tell you what to do with your life.
Reply 59
Original post by SS.
To all the people saying Aber is a better uni than Bangor...really? Aber is hardly a beautiful place to live, unlike Bangor. Bangor is quiet yes, but only if you want it to be. Theres plenty of pubs and clubs to go to. The English department is fantastic and I've yet to meet a single Welsh professer, let alone one I cant understand. Read up on which is the better uni for your course (Bangor) which is better results wise (Bangor) and make up your mind from there. Essentially, its your choice, dont let some bias idiots on tsr tell you what to do with your life.

If you look at todays news here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16060231) you'll see Bangor and Aber signed an alliance agreement today to share teaching and learning services so potentially you could do the same module in both places and be taught by the same professor. It all comes down to personal choice, both places have positives and both places have negatives. The weighting you give to each, is entirely subjective.

Quick Reply