The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography Unit 2 24th Jan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harry.K
Last year you needed to get 48 out of 60 to get an A..

it was 35 mate check this http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php
Original post by brokenspud
I'm still stuck on the questions like hat was the aim/purpose of your investigation, any help?

Basically it's just that, no complications needed. Just state what you were trying to find out. So if you did a river study, then just say the aim was to investigate river channel processes and characteristics with distance downstream or something like that. Make sure you locate it as well with the actual place you went to. Apart from that, if its a longer question, then you could mention the hypothesis and the theory it was based on, e.g the Bradshaw model for rivers again.

The examples I gave are for rivers because I'm doing that, but its the same for any other case study. The key is not to overcomplicate matters, just put down what happened. A really good way to see if you're doing the right thing is to read your answer and look at it from the perspective of someone who's never done it before. If its a good answer, they should be able to replicate everything you did solely from your answer.

I hope that helps, any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by ScottENGLAND
has everyone prepared there answers for the fieldwork section?

Well you should prepare your answers because they're only going to ask from a certain number of skills. However bear in mind that they do change the wording of the question slightly, so make sure you read the full question before attempting the answer, because one year it may be "Outline and justify one method you used for your fieldwork" but another paper may ask "Outline and justify one method of data presentation you used for your results." The difference may seem obvious here, but with the pressure in an exam situation, you really need to be careful.
35/50 for an A? wow
Reply 24
Original post by coolcric321
Basically it's just that, no complications needed. Just state what you were trying to find out. So if you did a river study, then just say the aim was to investigate river channel processes and characteristics with distance downstream or something like that. Make sure you locate it as well with the actual place you went to. Apart from that, if its a longer question, then you could mention the hypothesis and the theory it was based on, e.g the Bradshaw model for rivers again.

The examples I gave are for rivers because I'm doing that, but its the same for any other case study. The key is not to overcomplicate matters, just put down what happened. A really good way to see if you're doing the right thing is to read your answer and look at it from the perspective of someone who's never done it before. If its a good answer, they should be able to replicate everything you did solely from your answer.

I hope that helps, any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Thanks for that very helpful :smile: my investigation was on infiltration capacity/rates at different angles :/
Reply 25
Last years exam was on rivers, so its more likely to be population if they follow the usual trend.

The trend goes rivers, rivers, population, population, rivers (last year june) so its more likely to be rivers if the 'trend' is correct.. but i kinda hope its population so much easier to describe graphs etc.. where as labelling and describing landforms and such is harder - especially when this is a resit and you haven't re learnt rivers :frown: waa!
Original post by JLXP
35/50 for an A? wow

Yeah I know, and its even lower for Unit 1. I'm not saying this to you, just a general point, that you shouldn't be complacent as I know lots of people who thought that this was really easy but dropped loads of marks. Don't get me wrong, this is a very easy paper compared to other a levels, but you still need to work hard for it :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by scared!
The trend goes rivers, rivers, population, population, rivers (last year june) so its more likely to be rivers if the 'trend' is correct.. but i kinda hope its population so much easier to describe graphs etc.. where as labelling and describing landforms and such is harder - especially when this is a resit and you haven't re learnt rivers :frown: waa!

Looks like my teacher is wrong :P better get revising rivers :frown:
really doubt ill get 35 marks on this paper! not to sure what to revise on the urban/river section :frown::frown:
you guys going to come here after the exam tomorrow?
Reply 29
Original post by ScottENGLAND
really doubt ill get 35 marks on this paper! not to sure what to revise on the urban/river section :frown::frown:
you guys going to come here after the exam tomorrow?

Yahh, why not! can all talk about failuree or not on the positive side :wink:

Looks like my teacher is wrong :P better get revising rivers :frown:

Also what to revise for rivers? help anyone:L toughiee
Yeah I know, and its even lower for Unit 1. I'm not saying this to you, just a general point, that you shouldn't be complacent as I know lots of people who thought that this was really easy but dropped loads of marks. Don't get me wrong, this is a very easy paper compared to other a levels, but you still need to work hard for it :smile:

yeah i totally understand, did come as a bit of a surprise though! :smile: it's a shame i've not been able to devote much time to this exam with Law & accounting taking up most of my time, i do feel reasonably confident with it, though.
Original post by scared!

Also what to revise for rivers? help anyone:L toughiee

deposition/erosion/long profile / how a waterfall is caused / meander & river migration
Reply 32
Really hope population does come up, haven't done rivers since year 12! I'm resitting this exam from June 2011, that was on rivers and was pretty horrible (43/50 for an A)
Original post by M.dale
Really hope population does come up, haven't done rivers since year 12! I'm resitting this exam from June 2011, that was on rivers and was pretty horrible (43/50 for an A)

No it was 43/50 for full UMS and 35/50 for an A :P

Have a look here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/

Put your marks in and it will show you the grade boundaries.
Reply 34
No it was 43/50 for full UMS and 35/50 for an A :P

Have a look here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/

Put your marks in and it will show you the grade boundaries.

Oh right yeah okay, but still i hated it! haha
i don't like the fieldwork 'how has this helped your understanding' because to be honest the only thing it helped me to understand was to not let yourself be team leader for a group of boys who don't want to be there. Somehow I don't think thats gonna get me the marks:/
Original post by rosiesaurus
i don't like the fieldwork 'how has this helped your understanding' because to be honest the only thing it helped me to understand was to not let yourself be team leader for a group of boys who don't want to be there. Somehow I don't think thats gonna get me the marks:/

Lol, that came up only once i think, so hopefully it won't come up again touchwood :biggrin:
Reply 37
Lol, that came up only once i think, so hopefully it won't come up again touchwood :biggrin:

what do you think will? if we had how has this helped your undderstanding what sorttaa thing would you say?:confused:
Original post by scared!
what do you think will? if we had how has this helped your undderstanding what sorttaa thing would you say?:confused:

I haven't really spent time trying to predict what's going to come up, there's no point, you might as well try and learn all of it, it get's rid of the chance that you may become unstuck in the exam because you revised for something and its not there or is different.

Anyway for the understanding one, I would say, referring to rivers as its the one I'm doing, that 'its reinforced the theory that X increases as Y decreases as I saw this whilst taking the results etc.' However, if your value was completely wrong, you can say that 'I noticed that there were many other variables which affected the results like weather etc and that the model is an ideal representation and so doesn't take this account' or something like that. It is a difficult question, but provided you put down exactly what they are asking, you'll gain credit. Just think about your expectations before the fieldwork and how they've changed, in other words, what you've learnt. If you haven't learned anything, just make something up linking it to the theory/ aims etc.

Sorry its a bit wordy, but I hope I've given you a general gist :smile:
Reply 39
I haven't really spent time trying to predict what's going to come up, there's no point, you might as well try and learn all of it, it get's rid of the chance that you may become unstuck in the exam because you revised for something and its not there or is different.

Anyway for the understanding one, I would say, referring to rivers as its the one I'm doing, that 'its reinforced the theory that X increases as Y decreases as I saw this whilst taking the results etc.' However, if your value was completely wrong, you can say that 'I noticed that there were many other variables which affected the results like weather etc and that the model is an ideal representation and so doesn't take this account' or something like that. It is a difficult question, but provided you put down exactly what they are asking, you'll gain credit. Just think about your expectations before the fieldwork and how they've changed, in other words, what you've learnt. If you haven't learned anything, just make something up linking it to the theory/ aims etc.

Sorry its a bit wordy, but I hope I've given you a general gist :smile:

noo thankyou!! good luck, let me know how it goesss xxx

Quick Reply

Latest