Tea
Northerner :cool:

DEBATE AWAYYYYYYY......
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dinner, Southerner :biggrin:

Tea is for when you drink tea
I say tea usually (northerner) though I say dinner too. Which means sometimes my meals go: Breakfast, Dinner, Dinner :curious:
My best friend is a southerner and she was talking about having some tea once and I had to ask her if she meant "drinking tea" or "eating tea".
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't call anything dinner....it's breakfast, lunch and tea for me! :smile:
Reply 4
I call it dinner but my mother says tea :mute:
Reply 5
I'd say it was as much a class thing as a north-south thing. I'm a southerner and say dinner, but most of my family, all of whom grew up in London, say tea.
Reply 6
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner :biggrin:
No surprise I am a Southerner.
Reply 7
Tea (northern!!)
Reply 8
Dinner for my midday meal and Tea for my evening meal.

I rarely refer to the drink as tea anyway - normally just say "fancy a brew", "nip round for a brew" etc. rather than say tea
breakfast dinner tea supper

northern
Depends on who I'm speaking to, but usually dinner for the late meal. I never understood calling lunch dinner. :/
Reply 11
Here the evening meal is mostly tea if it's informal, and dinner if it's a bit more fancy :tongue:
I used to say say "tea" but after moving south for several years and causing utter confusion with my housemates, friends etc. I was converted to the term of breakfast, lunch and dinner and it's stuck. :smile:
Reply 13
The first time I had heard of tea as in the meal was at school. I'm from the midlands.
(edited 11 years ago)
Dinner.

Midlander. :biggrin:
"Dinner" if it's something cooked but "tea" if it's not

So, yeah, a mix of the two, which makes sense seeing as I come from the Midlands
The way I view it, dinner is the main evening meal and tea is a small snack shortly afterwards.
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
The way I view it, dinner is the main evening meal and tea is a small snack shortly afterwards.

I've never heard of that before..
Original post by GiveMeAChallenge
I've never heard of that before..

Just call me a maverick.
Reply 19
Tea, and I'm from the midlands....

Quick Reply

Latest