The Student Room Group

Absolute Cell Referencing?

Hi, today I had my GCSE ICT exam with CCEA and I had two questions on absolute cell referencing. These were two of the three questions that I had trouble answering so I just want to know if I even got close.

Question One
What is an absolute cell reference?

Answer
A cell reference that does not change after a formula has been calculated.

Question Two
Write the absolute cell references for:
F13 ____
F19 ____

Answer
$F$13
$F$19

Do you reckon I could score any marks on either of these questions? I was hoping for an A* but we'll see. I hadn't really a clue what absolute cell referencing was but I remembered something about my teacher mentioning the words "staying the same" during that class so I just sort of guessed. I also remember reading "$m$4" in that class which sort of lead me to the other answers.

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by overskrill
Hi, today I had my GCSE ICT exam with CCEA and I had two questions on absolute cell referencing. These were two of the three questions that I had trouble answering so I just want to know if I even got close.

Question One
What is an absolute cell reference?

Answer
A cell reference that does not change after a formula has been calculated.

Question Two
Write the absolute cell references for:
F13 ____
F19 ____

Answer
$F$13
$F$19

Do you reckon I could score any marks on either of these questions? I was hoping for an A* but we'll see. I hadn't really a clue what absolute cell referencing was but I remembered something about my teacher mentioning the words "staying the same" during that class so I just sort of guessed. I also remember reading "$m$4" in that class which sort of lead me to the other answers.

Thanks.

The second part is correct with those dollar signs.
The first part is not quite right.
It's a cell reference that doesn't change after the cell has been copied or moved.
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure it was a two mark question, do you think there's any chance I could get one mark for it or not at all? Altogether I'm not too bothered because I don't need that high of a mark to get a good grade, but it would make up for another question which I definitely got wrong.

Possibly for the "A cell reference that doesn't change..."
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by overskrill
I'm pretty sure it was a two mark question, do you think there's any chance I could get one mark for it or not at all? Altogether I'm not too bothered because I don't need that high of a mark to get a good grade, but it would make up for another question which I definitely got wrong.

Possibly for the "A cell reference that doesn't change..."

What did you think about that exam in general anyway? I thought it was extremely simple! I think that's the only part I slipped up on - the absolute cell references. I think I got the first bit but not the second bit.
Reply 4
Original post by JDee
What did you think about that exam in general anyway? I thought it was extremely simple! I think that's the only part I slipped up on - the absolute cell references. I think I got the first bit but not the second bit.

Yeah overall I thought it was easy, quite a few people I asked thought it was okay, too.
You would need to consult the mark scheme to see if you would get the mark for the definition.
My own view would be that the answer that it doesn't change "after a formula has been calculated" is not 100% correct and can't get the one mark available. But that's just my view!
Someone else may be of the opinion that the "doesn't change" bit is enough to get the mark.
CCEA mark scheme answer for this question on previous years was:

An absolute cell reference is a cell reference which does not change [1] when moved or duplicated/copied [1]

I thought it was a good test also. What did you guys get in your controlled assessment?
Reply 7
I think I got 58% out of the 60 available on the controlled assessment. I probably could have achieved higher but I didn't want either of my teachers to help me for some reason..
Yeah that is what I am sitting on too. Teacher said in or around 87% should get you an A* overall which is about 130/180 for us in that test
Reply 9
Hm, that's not too bad. I counted it and I was pretty sure I got at least around 140-155 marks, not including the questions that I wasn't entirely sure about.

Pretty confident about it now.

Quick Reply

Latest