The Student Room Group

Some positive news out of the middle east

Saudi will allow women to compete in Olympics if they qualify

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/saudis-permit-women-compete-olympics-112141705--oly.html

Edit: 1 muslim seems to be pissed about this.

Edit2: Yes, this is a pretty useless gesture by KSA but it's something I guess.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What do they mean by 'qualify'? Are we to see people running around in black Casper fancy dress or something?
Well that's good to hear. I'll like them once they allow me to drive.
Reply 3
My most sincere commiserations go out to all the women suffering there.
Original post by Snagprophet
What do they mean by 'qualify'? Are we to see people running around in black Casper fancy dress or something?

It means you won't see any Saudi 100m runners as the religious police would insist they do it in long robes and won't get a qualifying time, and it gives the women concerned about two weeks to formulate and implement a training and competitive programme that the women of other countries have been undertaking for four years.
Completely hollow gesture designed to convince the IOC not to ban them from the Olympics, they know there will only be one or two female athletes competing and they would be competing anyway just without state recognition.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Darth Stewie
Completely hollow gesture designed to convince the IOC to not ban from the Olympics, they know they will only have one or two female athletes competing and they would be competing anyway just without state recognition.

Yep and also, it's not like there are any facilities over there for women to train in sports or anything like that. So these women will most likely never quality either, unless they go elsewhere to train.
I'd laugh if there was some stupid catch like woman can compete but only people with penises qualify or something. Like the whole men have the rights to grow babies inside their wombs or something lol.
Original post by Snagprophet
I'd laugh if there was some stupid catch like woman can compete but only people with penises qualify or something. Like the whole men have the rights to grow babies inside their wombs or something lol.

Here we see the Saudi women's team in training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hlMK7tCks
lol i say to this thread.

Something postive about Middle east = Still hatred.
Something negative about Middle east = Still hatred.

:dontknow:
How's this positive news?

And typical Saudi, women can't drive, but they can go to the Olympics.

Original post by Ray Bradbury
Here we see the Saudi women's team in training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hlMK7tCks

Yet, it's to do with Christianity.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Perseveranze

Yet, it's to do with Christianity.

How is that? (a) It is set at a time before Jesus was recognised as the Messiah and (b) it depicts Jews.

It is to do a regime with laws that allow barbaric punishments for trivial non-crimes, regardless of religion.
Reply 12
Original post by Good bloke
How is that? (a) It is set at a time before Jesus was recognised as the Messiah and (b) it depicts Jews.

Beat me to the punch, was just about to post this.
Original post by Good bloke

It is to do a regime with laws that allow barbaric punishments for trivial non-crimes, regardless of religion.

Some people find hanging and lethal injections barbaric.

And read the top comment, it seems Christians would or would not find this video blasphemous for other reasons.
Reply 14
Some people find hanging and lethal injections barbaric.

And read the top comment, it seems Christians would or would not find this video blasphemous for other reasons.

We don't really care. The media rips on Jesus all the time.

We have bigger things to worry about than some random video about our God.

You on the other hand clearly cannot take anything against Mr. Mo Mo.

Talk about tolerance :rolleyes:
Yeah but they almost certainly won't qualify as they haven't had the time to train, so it's a meaningless gesture to stop their male competitors from being banned.
Original post by .eXe
We don't really care. The media rips on Jesus all the time.

We have bigger things to worry about than some random video about our God.

You on the other hand clearly cannot take anything against Mr. Mo Mo.

Talk about tolerance :rolleyes:

We don't tolerate people who insult (not criticize) our prophets, including Jesus(pbuh) (Look in Muslim countries)? Well, thank you for the compliment.
Reply 17
We don't tolerate people who insult (not criticize) our prophets, including Jesus(pbuh) (Look in Muslim countries)? Well, thank you for the compliment.

It wasn't a compliment. Note the smiley at the end.

Also, why don't you tolerate it? You may not agree with it sure, but why not tolerate it?

Surely a "religion of tolerance and peace" should try to live by those principles no?

Or are you admitting that Islam is not a religion of tolerance?
Original post by .eXe
It wasn't a compliment. Note the smiley at the end.

Also, why don't you tolerate it? You may not agree with it sure, but why not tolerate it?

Surely a "religion of tolerance and peace" should try to live by those principles no?

Or are you admitting that Islam is not a religion of tolerance?

Of course it's a religion of tolerance, but if someone wants to draw offensive pictures of our prophets or burn our Qur'an for no reason, then no, we're not going to laugh and smile.

Call us intolerant if you want, but the difference simply is, we care enough.
Reply 19
Of course it's a religion of tolerance, but if someone wants to draw offensive pictures of our prophets or burn our Qur'an for no reason, then no, we're not going to laugh and smile.

Call us intolerant if you want, but the difference simply is, we care enough.

Care enough to kill someone over a picture?

Quick Reply

Latest