The Student Room Group

Keep anon! Housemate next year dealing drugs.

I've recently found out that one of the people that we're living with next year is dealing drugs. It's a group of 8 of us including myself.

I have no problem with drugs being done inside the house, I have no problem at all with that having used them in the past myself. But, I don't want my house being used as a place for the person to sell drugs.

All of us agree and have told the person but they're calling us all wimps/insulting us. I don't think it's particularly unreasonable that we don't want the person dealing drugs if they live with us. It puts us at risk, especially as they're storing the drugs at our house and will be inviting randoms in so they can buy them.

He's refusing to listen to us and will do it anyway.

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Grass him up to the 5-0
Reply 2
Call in McNulty and the detail
Reply 3
"they're"? Theres more than one person in the operation?
Reply 4
Could be difficult as grassing him could have bad repercussions. I'd speak to the police in person and see what they'd advise.
Reply 5
Tell the cops as soon as you know there are drugs in the house. The cops won't believe you if one of the bathrooms is filled with drugs and you say you had nothing to do with it.
Reply 6
It's not fair. If he's planning on growing plants or selling on your shared property, this is serious as you could be held accountable for it too, were he caught. So I would speak to the rest of your group, speak to him and tell him it is unacceptable, and if needs be speak to your landlord. It depends how much your friendships with him matter to you all, but I would say that he obviously doesn't hold you in very high esteem if he's willing to do this sort of thing and expect you to go along with it.

I would speak to your mates, and contact your landlord. You may not need to get the police involved, but dealing drugs would violate the tenancy agreement and you argue that he's breached his contract. You can then advertise a living space, if you wish to replace him.
Original post by Aaron_xyz

No. Your grammar is flawed.
Reply 8
Original post by james1211
Could be difficult as grassing him could have bad repercussions. I'd speak to the police in person and see what they'd advise.

True actually, he'll be known as a snitch bitch to those in the game.
Reply 9
Original post by HistoryHistory

How? They're refers to two or more people.

Edit: And maybe you should try being helpful regarding the OPs dilemma, which is the intent of this topic.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm sorry, but have you ever heard the phrase: "snitches get stitches"?

You've already kicked up a fuss about it, so any anonymous tip you may leave with the police/landlord that gets whoever is dealing caught will still lead back to you. In my opinion, the repercussions far outweigh any that you may have with this guy dealing.

I understand that it's a sensitive situation, but you're all friends so I see no need it bringing in higher-ups because it will just sour the relationship. (This is me assuming you're all friends; if you're not, then by all means go ahead and report it). My housemate last year was doing drugs in the house with a bunch of his friends and we all kindly asked for them not to be done in the house or we would have to resort to desperate measures - he understood the underlying threat and agreed.

You have no problem with the drugs themselves, just the randomers that will be brought in, so just keep reiterating that point and perhaps suggest some alternatives.
(edited 11 years ago)
Selling from your house is stupid - you are just asking to get robbed anyway. Unless he is only doing small amounts for a small circle in which case there is pretty much no risk anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by HistoryHistory

Original post by willbee
It's not fair. If he's planning on growing plants or selling on your shared property, this is serious as you could be held accountable for it too, were he caught. So I would speak to the rest of your group, speak to him and tell him it is unacceptable, and if needs be speak to your landlord. It depends how much your friendships with him matter to you all, but I would say that he obviously doesn't hold you in very high esteem if he's willing to do this sort of thing and expect you to go along with it.

I would speak to your mates, and contact your landlord. You may not need to get the police involved, but dealing drugs would violate the tenancy agreement and you argue that he's breached his contract. You can then advertise a living space, if you wish to replace him.

Original post by Hopple
Tell the cops as soon as you know there are drugs in the house. The cops won't believe you if one of the bathrooms is filled with drugs and you say you had nothing to do with it.

Original post by james1211

Original post by goape
Call in McNulty and the detail

Original post by Dr Awesome
Grass him up to the 5-0

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't want to be known as a grass or whatever. At the end of the day, he's a guy with a future... I don't want to ruin that
Reply 13
With all due respect, sod him. Agree with the others in the house and confront him - no selling or you're not moving in. Not hard to enforce that one with a simple phone call to the landlord.
Reply 14
How? They're refers to two or more people.

Edit: And maybe you should try being helpful to the OPs dilemma, which is the intent of this topic.

"They" has been used as a gender neutral singular third person pronoun since the 16th century. And since your only contribution to the OP's problem was to be obtuse, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

To the OP; Is it possible to tell him that if he doesn't pack it in, you'll all kick him out? It'd save you from snitching to the police but you wouldn't have him selling drugs in the house.
Reply 15
Original post by M1011
With all due respect, sod him. Agree with the others in the house and confront him - no selling or you're not moving in. Not hard to enforce that one with a simple phone call to the landlord.

Sadly, we've all spoken to him, individually and as a group and have been explicit in what we're asking. If we call the landlord, he'll get done, we don't want to be responsible for ruining his future... he won't finish uni, won't ever be able to make a decent life and I wouldn't want to do that to him. But at the same time, he's too selfish to understand that he's putting us in a difficult situation...
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't want to be known as a grass or whatever. At the end of the day, he's a guy with a future... I don't want to ruin that

A future selling drugs and taking his housemates to prison with him...
Reply 17
Original post by Esiuol
"They" has been used as a gender neutral singular third person pronoun since the 16th century. And since your only contribution to the OP's problem was to be obtuse, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

I'm not being obtuse, it was genuine question of whether there is only one person doing the dealing or if there are more people.

And lol, leg to stand on? Its not a competition, even if I was being obtuse it doesn't take away from the fact that he isn't contributing anything to help with the OPs dilemma. I could make a further point that he's being even more unhelpful by not actually correcting how my grammar is wrong, just saying "lol your grammar is flawed", but I won't as this discussion is meaningless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18

What drugs are they? If it was just weed or magic mushrooms or something I wouldn't be too bothered myself. But if he's getting into the coke/smack/methamphetamine trade you need him to get the **** out of there. What happens if he owes the big boys money and they come round and give everyone a good beating? Do you really want to live constantly paranoid about police/thugs busting into the house? Are you really going to give a **** about his future then?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Sadly, we've all spoken to him, individually and as a group and have been explicit in what we're asking. If we call the landlord, he'll get done, we don't want to be responsible for ruining his future... he won't finish uni, won't ever be able to make a decent life and I wouldn't want to do that to him. But at the same time, he's too selfish to understand that he's putting us in a difficult situation...

Not your fault. Why should you end up with a criminal record over it? You've given fair warning, he's made his choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending