The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I live on the borders of Redland (edge of Bishopston).. and I was burgled 3 weeks ago.. YAY
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
There were intruders at CHH - but nothing got stolen or anything, security just kicked them out.
Reply 3
I live just off Cotham hill and the flat above mine got burgled the other night. They must have actually climbed up the wall to get to the flat. Pretty scary stuff.
I know several friends of friends who have been burgled this year in the gloucester road, redland, cotham area.

They must have actually climbed up the wall to get to the flat. Pretty scary stuff.

Most drug crazed burglers are not going to go to those lengths to break in. More likely someone in your block left the front door open.

TBH as long as you lock your doors and windows, don't leave expensive things on show (like laptops, stereos, etc) by drawing curtains and not leaving them on your window sils, 9 times out of ten the dude is going to got next door where someone has left a door or window open with lots of expensive stuff on show, common sense really. And if you're going to get wasted, lock the doors and windows before you pass out, at my residence last year some bloke passed out in his room with the window open, when he woke up his laptop, ipod, etc was all gone and he was a bit hungover.

If the bloke did genuinely kick your door in or forcefully broke in through no fault of your own then get your landlord to beef up the locks and security, its in their best interests to protect their property and paying tenants.

The problem is that students are easy targets, they have lots of small expensive kit, and chances are they're going to be wasted enough to make it easy for the burglers to get in, or naive enough to leave doors and windows open and unlocked with their laptop on full view to everybody who walks past.
Reply 5
ch0c0h01ic

Most drug crazed burglers are not going to go to those lengths to break in. More likely someone in your block left the front door open.

No they did climb up, that's been confirmed. The front door to their flat would have been locked anyway so they would have been very lucky if both doors were left open, especially since they both automatically close and lock.
Reply 6
my friends live on a road off the top of whiteladies in a block of 4 student flats, they've been burgled recently (someone broke in while they were home!). if yo have any probs go to the student welfare office (or is it the accommodation office?) cos if your landlord refuses to sort stuff out to make it more secure they wll get him black listed
My house got burgled about 2 weeks ago when we were all in at 6pm and I saw 2 men climbing into the downstairs window of the house opposite mine in BROAD DAYLIGHT at lunchtime 2 Wednesdays ago. Ridiculous. Apparently almost every other house in this road has been burgled (just off Whiteladies by the BBC).
Reply 8
Tyndall's Park Road? I know someone living there that got burgaled too.
IAJTHOMAS
Tyndall's Park Road? I know someone living there that got burgaled too.

No, it's called West Park. Everyone has been burgled!!
Reply 10
I live on Pembroke Road, middle of Clifton and my housemate's laptop got stolen a few weeks ago. He only left the room for a minute - they must have come in through the window.
whoever did it (certainly not me before you neg rep me) probably did it because no one was asking for your advice or saying that it was a drug crazed burgler in their instance, and are probably well aware that they should lock their doors and windows, since it's generally thought to be common sense.

and to be fair, most students who are intelligent enough to be at bristol uni are intelligent enough to know all that. Unless of course, they have bags of money and don't really care what gets stolen, but i'm sure that's not the case for the majority.
Reply 12
I found your "Most drug crazed burglers are not going to go to those lengths to break in" comment rather odd, it was just a bizarre generalisation, and it turned out you were wrong. Pretty patronising 'advice' after that as well.

Like O_C, though, wasn't me.

I don't actually know how you find out who's repped you with this new design, can someone point me in the right direction?
i was looking for that too, it seems to have dissapeared...or am i just a bit special?
organised_chaos
whoever did it (certainly not me before you neg rep me) probably did it because no one was asking for your advice or saying that it was a drug crazed burgler in their instance, and are probably well aware that they should lock their doors and windows, since it's generally thought to be common sense.

and to be fair, most students who are intelligent enough to be at bristol uni are intelligent enough to know all that. Unless of course, they have bags of money and don't really care what gets stolen, but i'm sure that's not the case for the majority.

And;

I found your "Most drug crazed burglers are not going to go to those lengths to break in" comment rather odd, it was just a bizarre generalisation, and it turned out you were wrong. Pretty patronising 'advice' after that as well.

Well, as you may or not be aware, most burglaries are actually committed by drug addicts. It can be an expensive habbit, and if you don't have the funds to support it, may drive you to a life of crime (like burglary, prostitution, etc) to fund it. In the same instance that around 90% of prostitutes are heroin addicts, partly because of what they go through, partly because they can't fund their habbit. So raising the idea that a drug addict was probably responsible isn't as ludicrous as it seems. Plus there's the fact that a couple of the people i know who were burgled had only small amounts of cash stolen, things like laptops and ipods were actually left, partly because they're hard to fence and cash = a quick fix.

Then there's the fact that most criminals, burglars, etc are opportunists, they will take the chance if you offer it to them. They are far more likely to burgle the house with a door or window left open, or the one with lots of valuable stuff on show, or the one without a burglar alarm with nobody in, as opposed to a house that is all locked up, alarmed and nothing valuable on show. It requires a lot more effort and carries a much greater chance of being caught. Again, a burglar is much more likely to break in by using a door or window which has been left open than do some extreme urban climbing which has a much greater chance of getting caught or injured.

As for bristol students being clued up, i wish that was true. Personally, most, if not all of the people i know who have been broken into has been partly to blame in leaving a door unlocked, actually holding a door open for some randomer to get in, a window open and/or leaving stuff on show, and they're bristol uni students. Sure, some of them might have been from a rich background and been really reckless, some, the severe opposite. Personally, i have a very naive flatmate (he/she has come from a very sheltered background) who happily leaves doors and windows open when she goes out, again, she's a bristol student. So is it that hard to believe that some students aren't clued up on how to help prevent themselves becoming victims.

Personally, what can be wrong with some good intentioned, accurate advice? If it isn't relevant to you personally who cares, you don't have to pay attention, but it may at least help someone.

Laters
Reply 15
I wasn't questioning your advice (it was so run-of-the-mill I don't think anyone would oppose it), I was merely stating that your "Most drug crazed burglers are not going to go to those lengths to break in. More likely someone in your block left the front door open."

For a start, since it was their building that got burgled, they have considerably more knowledge about the incident than you, and for you to near-dismiss his version of events was quite odd.

Secondly, if my building was burgled by someone climbing up the wall and going through a window, I'd be quite shocked. I don't want some uninformed twit arrogantly informing me that it was probably because someone had left the door open, and therefore they were at fault, when in actual fact, that wasn't the case at all.

That's it.
I live in a top floor flat on Hampton Road (the top end, right by Cotham Hill) and we sometimes hear the burglar alarms going off on the flats across the road from us. I knew somebody who lived in one last year and they got burgled three times!!
I'm incredibly frightened of burglars, its this weird phobia that I have. Luckily I live in an attic conversion, so there is no way they could get up here :-) and no way that they can see any of our stuff! Yay!
Reply 17
Actually, it's surprising how often this "run-of-the-mill" advice doesn't seem to have any impact. Locking up before you leave the house is common sense, but I know a fair few people who continually leave windows and even their front door unlocked whether they're at home or not....
And apparently, over half of all student burglaries are "walk-ins" where there's been no need for forced entry due to the carelessness of residents. So even if basic advice seems patronising, it clearly needs to be given in the cases of a lot of people.
Reply 18
I heard somethin about all the ground floor flats in StAndrews area had had their laptops stolen, someone had got in through the window with a crowbar.

We've had two i-pods stolen from our house. Theres two Asian looking guys who befriend drunk people who then take these two guys back to the house wheree they just pocket and i-pod. They've been twice. (The second time was a party and a guest took them along, we didn't recognise them)
Reply 19
Eughh... has anyone else noticed this year's Epigram is just... horrible. In my first two years here it was ok, not great, but ok. This year... well you don't want to be sticking it on your CV. I mean, what was that utter shambles of an article about 'proliferation courses'?

Latest

Trending

Trending