The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
:s-smilie:

You're not getting my point... If YOU feel a mini is a quick car then thats fine. I am used to things that go a damn sight faster. If you got out of your car and into a morris minor you'd think you were going backwards because it doesnt have anywhere near the grunt you are used to. Do you understand the analagy now?

Cars that do 0-60 in circa 6 secconds are slow in comparison to a car that will do it in nearer to 2 secconds. Which, is what i'm going for.

a standard 4.6 is about 225bhp btw. Standard 3.5 is 180 ish. Both have a shed load more torque than a four / six potter. :wink: This mini which the conversation is about isnt standard either... it's blown for starters!

Challenge for the track stands mate. I love handing modern cars their arse. Particularly enjoy it when cockey drivers on the road tell me that my car is slow and would be embarrased by their little shopping trolleys. Usually "kevin" or "sharron" in a corsa.
Reply 61
eh dac?

i just said a mini must be slow cos its 200bhp and around 0.5ton.

the reason its not quick is cos its not got a v8 and its only 200bhp.
Reply 62
you said it, not me...
It amazing how threads go downhill so quickly when people defend the car they love/drive.

I love my car (Vauxhall Vectra B GSI) and would defend it till the cows come home but I'd be realistic if somebody asked me is it quick or would this other car outperform it.

And IMO, 200bhp in a "normal" road going car (i.e. my car which has ~200bhp as standard and is a 4 door family saloon) makes for a comfortable drive with that bit of power that comes in handy, not for a rip-your-face-off scare-athon. Note the word normal.

And as for Astra GTE's etc, if the particular models your talking about came with the C20LET engine, its game over for most cars, even by modern standards. A simple remap sees these engines close to 300bhp without any other work whatsoever; this is why so many vauxhall owners try to get these engines and put them into there own cars as they are literally bullet-proof and can be made to develope fairly large amounts of power without too much work/bother.
The Calibra turbo (which is 4wd btw and has the C20LET, and the F28 6 speed gearbox) in standard trim would do 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds, and thats with only 200bhp (actually 204 if I remember correctly), a remap later could see this drop well below 5 seconds. Vauxhall may of not produced many quick cars, but the ones they did bother to make are fairly quick.
If anybody ever gets the chance to drive a Nova with one of these engines, I'd seriously recommend it: These car/engine set ups have been known to give supercars a run for there money (300+ bhp in a car that weighs about 600 - 700kg, a receipe for fun/disaster to say the least)

As you can probably tell from my examples, Vauxhall is my manufacturer of interest; please don't hate me for this, somebody has to do it, lol.
Reply 64
i konw of a lad in my area who has a nova with a 2.0 calibra turbo in it. my mate says hes been in it when its gone completely off the clock and he rekons its doing 150mph. btw hes rammed it into a barrier a few times. think its been through a couple of slam panels in its time.
Reply 65
0 div curl F
It amazing how threads go downhill so quickly when people defend the car they love/drive.

Nothing to do with that fella. When people on this forum have no idea on the characteristics of a car, then it's time to teach. And FYI, I'm not 'defending' my car, but rather factually informing them of its capabilties. I don't need to 'defend' my car to any motoring enthusiast - they'll already know.

I love my car (Vauxhall Vectra B GSI) and would defend it till the cows come home but I'd be realistic if somebody asked me is it quick or would this other car outperform it.

Damn right. Because 192hp V6 in a saloon is slow. 192hp doesn't mean a sodden thing here as the power to weight is rubbish.

And IMO, 200bhp in a "normal" road going car (i.e. my car which has ~200bhp as standard and is a 4 door family saloon) makes for a comfortable drive with that bit of power that comes in handy, not for a rip-your-face-off scare-athon. Note the word normal.

Here we go again.

First off, your GSi is the fastest Vectra B on the market, yet it's only got 192bhp? So how exactly do you call 200bhp 'normal'?

Look at the new CTR - still only 197bhp.

Bottom line is, bhp is relevant to the chassis it's put on, thus why bhp/tonne is the real figure we need.

Let me start an argument by then saying 160/tonne is a nicety.

Dac.
i konw of a lad in my area who has a nova with a 2.0 calibra turbo in it. my mate says hes been in it when its gone completely off the clock and he rekons its doing 150mph. btw hes rammed it into a barrier a few times. think its been through a couple of slam panels in its time.

You can't find a Calibra Turbo without it having been abused. They're seriously quick, but the gearbox is made of cheese - so going off the clock will see it pissed.
Né Stig
Nothing to do with that fella. When people on this forum have no idea on the characteristics of a car, then it's time to teach. And FYI, I'm not 'defending' my car, but rather factually informing them of its capabilties. I don't need to 'defend' my car to any motoring enthusiast - they'll already know.

Damn right. Because 192hp V6 in a saloon is slow. 192hp doesn't mean a sodden thing here as the power to weight is rubbish.

Here we go again.

First off, your GSi is the fastest Vectra B on the market, yet it's only got 192bhp? So how exactly do you call 200bhp 'normal'?

Look at the new CTR - still only 197bhp.

Bottom line is, bhp is relevant to the chassis it's put on, thus why bhp/tonne is the real figure we need.

Let me start an argument by then saying 160/tonne is a nicety.

You can't find a Calibra Turbo without it having been abused. They're seriously quick, but the gearbox is made of cheese - so going off the clock will see it pissed.

Firstly, the GSI Vectra B isn't the fastest Vectra B on the market, the ST200 is faster due to it having the same power output but with more upgrades like an LSD etc, plus theres the ST3000 which is a 3.0 V6 that has around 210 - 220 bhp in standard form. I know my Vectra's, lol, I have the cuts and scars to prove it.
You have to remember that my car is 8 years old, thats old technology now. The new top of the range Vectras are producing well over 300bhp (Read VXR), even the Diesels are closing in on 200bhp now and I'd say they were a fairly normal car, not a performance car anyway.
IMO 200bhp is nothing out of the ordinary for a modern car today, but 200bhp/ton is.

As for the gearbox being made of cheese; The F28 that comes with the C20LET engine is by far the best gearbox that has ever been in any Vauxhall and will do 170mph due to the long 6th gear. These gearboxes are highly, highly sought after, they can fetch around £300 in standard form; not bad for a bog standard car part that is 10 - 20 years old.
I can quite believe a Nova going off the clock easily, and it'd get there very, very fast.

And I always thought that of the same car, a Saloon is always lighter than the Hatchback due to not having a massive extra door and all the strengthening that goes with having a massive gap in the rear of the cars bodyshell; I know for fact that Vauxhall Saloons are around 50kg lighter than their Hatchback counterparts.

I fully agree that power to weight ratios are a better indicator of performance rather than power alone, but a "normal" car for me weighs maybe 1.2 - 1.5 ton, so the p/w ratio for that range with a 200bhp engine is in the range of 133 - 166 bhp/ton. Using the calculator over at letstorquebhp, 0-60 times for these ratios are: 6.5s - 7.8s. These aren't super quick times.

BTW, I'm not into getting peoples backs up etc so I hope nobody takes offence by my posts (I don't think theres anything offensive in my posts but you never know how some people may take them).
Reply 67
power alone is still very relevant for top speeds as its mostly power which determins it. unless its say a rangy or transit :P so bhp/tonne is not the be all and end all.
Arghhhh!

last word...

lol

Latest

Trending

Trending