The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
greenfingers
believe it or not my brother turned down cambridge 4 LSE but i'm sadly under no illusions they've pooled me cos they fear i'll do the same-maybe i should've been nonchalant and challenged them more.

I assure you that your brother's application will have had absolutely NO impact upon yours in any way whatsoever. At all. A good few people turn down Cambridge every year -- we don't mark them into a black book and put a curse upon their families, and their children, and their children's children...!

And no, being "nonchalant" (in its more negative sense) probably wouldn't have helped you, so it's best you weren't like that! :wink:

pololi963
are all decisions out now? I don't have an offer, rejection yet and not pooled either. Are people still getting letters from Cambridge for their decision or is everything supposed to be done now??

The letters were posted on Wednesday -- if you're living in Switzerland it might be that the post hasn't got to you. If you've received nothing by the post on Monday, you should probably give your college admissions office a polite call or email, just saying it's not arrived and asking if they could tell you.

panda-size
I'v read somewhere that if you are pooled from a more prestigious college you get a better chance of being fished?

Hmm, not really. Not quite sure how you'd define "prestigious". Of course, in the vastly over-subscribed colleges, there are more likely to be more top applicants, because there are more applicants overall. But that's about as far as it goes, and it's extremely unrealiable.
My family have been using the phone for about an hour and a bit now, so I keep thinking, Aha! Fishy College can't get through to me. All is good :smile:

Now that no one is using it I'm getting panicky again, lol.
Reply 542
If the College can't find you through home phone, wouldnt they call you on your mobile?
Doraemen
If the College can't find you through home phone, wouldnt they call you on your mobile?

Yes. I got the call on my mobile yesterday evening.
Hi,

I've been pooled from Trinity for Economics to both Girton and Robinson who both want to interview me next Saturday. (Received an email about 15 mins ago).

Does having 2 further interviews mean i really screwed up my Trinity ones? And how do they decide if both want me after my interviews?

Finally, what's Girton and Robinson colleges like?

Thx
Reply 545
FizFazFoz
Hi,

I've been pooled from Trinity for Economics to both Girton and Robinson who both want to interview me next Saturday. (Received an email about 15 mins ago).

Does having 2 further interviews mean i really screwed up my Trinity ones? And how do they decide if both want me after my interviews?

Thx

Both are nice colleges. Girton is a bit of a way out of town. Two interviews mean they are both after you so impress at both interviews and your chances are good. Gd luck .:smile:
FizFazFoz
Hi,

Thx

Out of interest, seeing as you've got interviews at two colleges, where did the email come from? Was it from one or the other or from the University in general.
Reply 547
When do most people hear back about pools?
I'm thinking that my chances are slim because it's a weekend so less likely to be contacted, and it's either now or Monday, which would be short notice.
I feel quite sick by it all.
Reply 548
Hey guys!

I've been lurking on this thread OBSESSIVELY for the last 2 days.. wait no make that a week. Waiiting for my letter (a day late AND the postman was another 4 hours late after that) then waiting for what seemed like eternity and a day for a call.

But, 10 minutes ago, I GOT AN OFFER! I got pooled out of Emma and into Newnham. I'm obviously so so so happy i got in but will take a while to think about an all girls college.. any advice??

But anyway, i had to register to say to everyone, goodluck. Blimey i know i know exactly what you're going through.. so fingers crossed and don't give up hope and keep busy and get off here!! Honestly- it makes you go crazy- i went for a jog out of the house (gave my brother STRICT instructions to divert any calls to my mobile!) and when i came back i felt so much better!

Right, must stop rambling now! :smile: And start on my revision!
Admonitor
Out of interest, seeing as you've got interviews at two colleges, where did the email come from? Was it from one or the other or from the University in general.

I got the email from admissions tutor of Girton who told me about Robinson. I've got 2 interviews at Girton and 1 at Robinson.
Is there a specific thread anywhere for this already? I can't seem to find one...

If there isn't I just wasn't to ask how you find out which college you have been pooled too, and does anybody know what percentage of people get in after being pooled and what percentage of people have to go for an interview?

I live in Scotland and really don't want to go down again for nothing. Urgh.
Thanks very much, interesting to know.

Good luck with all of your interviews, you've got a good chance of getting in!
Reply 552
FizFazFoz

Hey, well done for getting those interviews! :smile:

Getting 2 interviews definitely does NOT mean you screwed up at Trinity -- two colleges obviously really like the look of you! Have a good time next week, and we'll have our fingers crossed for you.

Girton is a late-19th century building (really pretty), with lovely gardens. It's the furthest from the centre of town, but has a really good community feel because of that. And I can honestly say I have never known a Girtonian who is unhappy with their college (and yes, I know quite a few!). :smile:

Robinson is much newer, and is a 'friendly' college by reputation. Nice accommodation. Not such a nice building, if you like the oldy-worldy stuff, but it's actually really interesting -- designed to be a C20th 'castle'/fortress! :biggrin: Have a look at the websites (google the name of the college and they'll come up) -- and look in the college-specific thread in the subforum here.
TheLostProphet
Aha! Fishy College can't get through to me.

=D That's the best thing I've read on here and made me smile =). Needed that, I'm sitting here in the depths of despair.
Reply 554
Yeah good luck with the double, your obviously very wanted!

My family are on the phone CONSTANTLY, but my mobile hasn't rung all day :frown:

me and admonitor are the lurking History poolees with no interviews or responses :frown: It sucks! Any other ones around?
Reply 555
jenibaby
But, 10 minutes ago, I GOT AN OFFER! I got pooled out of Emma and into Newnham. I'm obviously so so so happy i got in but will take a while to think about an all girls college.. any advice??

But anyway, i had to register to say to everyone, goodluck. Blimey i know i know exactly what you're going through.. so fingers crossed and don't give up hope and keep busy and get off here!! Honestly- it makes you go crazy- i went for a jog out of the house (gave my brother STRICT instructions to divert any calls to my mobile!) and when i came back i felt so much better!

Woohoooooo! Welcome to the clan! :biggrin:

Have a look through the Newnham-specific thread (it's quite long, but lots of questions are answered) to see what TSR people have said about the place, and check out the college website: http://www.newn.cam.ac.uk/ -- particularly our video thing: http://www.newn.cam.ac.uk/admissions/alison_video.shtml. And look at all the photos!

The all-female thing really isn't a problem...it's not even that noticeable, often! As I say, have a browse through the Nenwham thread, and if you've got any other questions please don't hesitate to contact me by PM, or on that thread -- I always check it. :smile: Bumblebee3 is another regular TSR-er, who will happily answer Newnham questions!

Congratulations!
flown_muse
Is there a specific thread anywhere for this already? I can't seem to find one...

If there isn't I just wasn't to ask how you find out which college you have been pooled too, and does anybody know what percentage of people get in after being pooled and what percentage of people have to go for an interview?

I live in scotland too n yeh its a trek-but i think from the stats on the letter bout 60% of those pooled then re-interviewed end up with an offer-plus u'll be able 2 look at ur fist interview as a mock-so its prob worth it...gd luck!!
Reply 557
flown_muse

Hallo!

Okay, if you've been invited for an interview, there's about a 50/60% chance you will get an offer, as greenfingers says -- definitely chance enough!

Overall, there's about a 1/4 to 1/5 chance of getting in from the pool, once you've been put into it. Being reinterviewed significantly increases those chances. It's always uncertain, but you're not allowed to give up yet! :smile:
Reply 558
O NO! Wolves scored. It's Wolves 2-1 Cambridge. Dammit I was hoping to go the replay at the Abbey.
Lol, okay thanks, I am kinda giving up but I will try. Do most people get a second interview? My first one was bad enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending