The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Start off with the four different definitions of abnormality, and the strengths and limitations of each- statistical infrequency, deviation from social norms etc. and the four different approaches to perceived abnormalities e.g. anorexia-biological model does not consider cognitive implications, therefore we need to use a multiway perspective, such as the diathesis stress model. Look up the different classification systems for mental disorders-like DSM4 and the European version (can't remember what it's called-sorry!) Discuss how many disorders are culturally bound e.g. schizophrenia, anorexia etc. Also, how understudied differences between cultures are automatically seen as being a disorder (such as homosexuality). Individual differences are quite important here-just because someone meets the criteria of the classification system, does not mean they should be put in a generalised bracket of being abnormal etc.
Sorry, I'm very muchly hungover today so my memory is a little detiorated! Hope this gives you some starter points anyway. I would say the definitions and models of abnormality-evaluate (A01) and then evaluated against INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES (inc. culture etc.) (A02) are the main focus of this essay though.
Reply 2
I haven't got a clue, however I have just received some excellent help from a teacher on a web-site. They were very quick to reply and the help was excellent and Free! I would reccomend you give it ago.www.alevelpsychologysolutions.com
I would love to know how you got on!
By the way Sqidje's ideas seem to make sense so you may not need the web-site.
Reply 3
squideye
Start off with the four different definitions of abnormality, and the strengths and limitations of each- statistical infrequency, deviation from social norms etc. and the four different approaches to perceived abnormalities e.g. anorexia-biological model does not consider cognitive implications, therefore we need to use a multiway perspective, such as the diathesis stress model. Look up the different classification systems for mental disorders-like DSM4 and the European version (can't remember what it's called-sorry!) Discuss how many disorders are culturally bound e.g. schizophrenia, anorexia etc. Also, how understudied differences between cultures are automatically seen as being a disorder (such as homosexuality). Individual differences are quite important here-just because someone meets the criteria of the classification system, does not mean they should be put in a generalised bracket of being abnormal etc.
Sorry, I'm very muchly hungover today so my memory is a little detiorated! Hope this gives you some starter points anyway. I would say the definitions and models of abnormality-evaluate (A01) and then evaluated against INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES (inc. culture etc.) (A02) are the main focus of this essay though.

yep that is wicked!! and i can defiantley do it that way cos thats what my notes have been based on so far! wicked, thanx a bunch, i would give u sum rep, but have given mine for today, so ill get back to it 2mrw! if i remeber! lol
Reply 4
My angel
I haven't got a clue, however I have just received some excellent help from a teacher on a web-site. They were very quick to reply and the help was excellent and Free! I would reccomend you give it ago.www.alevelpsychologysolutions.com
I would love to know how you got on!
By the way Sqidje's ideas seem to make sense so you may not need the web-site.

thanx MY ANGEL!

Latest

Trending

Trending