The Student Room Group

Hong Kong University

Hi :tsr2:

I would really like to go to hong kong university after i finish college (in UK. Does anyone know if the hong kong university is good compared to unis in england? and also if we could do the same degrees we have in england in hong kong??

thnx:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
tokyorose888

I would really like to go to hong kong university after i finish college (in UK. Does anyone know if the hong kong university is good compared to unis in england? and also if we could do the same degrees we have in england in hong kong??

I don't know much about HKU but I know someone who is now studying there (can't remember what subject, something science-related) and their offer was something like 3 As with 90%+ UMS. So just from that I'd say it's quite good.
Reply 2
thnx 4 the reply:smile: .....anymore info???
Reply 3
tokyorose888

what do you want to study at hong kong university?
Reply 4
erm...sciences or probably business.....i like the culture ther and would like to continue my career there.....
Reply 5
Yes it is good. Definitely after the recent university rankings were published by times (you can google it), HKU came out 17th in the world, ranking higher than Stanford! So I would definitely say its good if thats what you are worried about. I hear science and especially business are strong. Also career oppurtunities are plentiful in HK.
Reply 6
Tiramisu_
Yes it is good. Definitely after the recent university rankings were published by times (you can google it), HKU came out 17th in the world, ranking higher than Stanford! So I would definitely say its good if thats what you are worried about. I hear science and especially business are strong. Also career oppurtunities are plentiful in HK.

oh thnx!!!! r u in HK right now?? lol

how would you describe the place...e.g are the people friendly, are there lots of things to do....and are the degrees in HK same as the ones in england?
Reply 7
I studied law at HKU. HKU is definitely not that good overall (17th in the world?), but it is clearly good for business.
Reply 8
yeung3939
I studied law at HKU. HKU is definitely not that good overall (17th in the world?), but it is clearly good for business.

Hi yeung...what did you study there? and why do u say its not good overall? oh yeh and do you think hong kong is a fun and exciting place to live?

tnx:smile:
yeung3939

actually, THAT IS pretty good - i heard it was sixteenth but maybe I was reading a different newspaper but HK unis are really good for business, i think loads of people know that...

you'll need to apply through NON-JUPAS or something and competition is pretty harsh
supernovastarfish
actually, THAT IS pretty good - i heard it was sixteenth but maybe I was reading a different newspaper but HK unis are really good for business, i think loads of people know that...

you'll need to apply through NON-JUPAS or something and competition is pretty harsh

thnx for the reply:smile:

can you tell me more about the "NON-JUPAS"? or refer me to websites where i can find out more

thnx :smile:
Reply 11
I studied law at HKU.

JUPAS is the HK equivalent of UCAS. Since it is only for local high school students, you as an international student must apply through non-JUPAS.

The JUPAS HK A-Level admission statistics is not an accrate indicator of your chance, because HKAL has a much lower good grade percentage. You probably need at least UK GCE AL AAB or AAA to get into HKU BBA. For IB, I am not sure.

HKU was ranked 16th last year, but it is not that good overall. I would say HKU's perceived quality is still quite good (as good as UK 5th - 9th unis). The business faculties of HKU, CUHK and HKUST are all top.
Reply 12
I think in UK only Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, LBS are better than HKU/CUHK/HKUST for business.
thnx for the replies....are there any entrance exams that i need to take?
language is not really a problem because i speak mandarin and cantonese

thnx
Reply 14
You don't need to sit any entrance exam.
Most if not all courses are taught and assessed in English.

By the way, you should really consider HKUST and CUHK. Their business schools are known to be better than HKU's.
tokyorose888
thnx for the reply:smile:

can you tell me more about the "NON-JUPAS"? or refer me to websites where i can find out more

thnx :smile:

www.hku.hk/admission/nonjupas-faq.htm
www.hku.hk/admission/nonjupas-entrance.htm

found them on google
Reply 16
Just wondering... the HKU says that minimum grades for A levels are EEE i think last time I looked and i know that is just minimum grades but what would be a realistic set of grades that they want for an offer in a subject like law?
littlebee2
Just wondering... the HKU says that minimum grades for A levels are EEE i think last time I looked and i know that is just minimum grades but what would be a realistic set of grades that they want for an offer in a subject like law?

As I said above, one of my friends got a conditional offer last year of (something like) 90% UMS in 3 subjects and is now studying a science-related degree at HKU.
Reply 18
littlebee2

For UK GCE AL, straight As.
Reply 19
Non-Jupas = apply directly to unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending